Whats The Smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
Gday all...

I have a pale ale which tastes pretty close to what i expected, however it has a very unusual/ unpleasant aroma...

The recipe was;

1 Coopers apa can
200gm crystal steeped at 70c
1kg brew enhancer 2
15gm amarillo at 20min

US-05 yeast, reused from trub (about 1 litre of trub)

The smell is like.. old socks???

I think it may be due to overpitched yeast, is 1 litre too much? It has some resemblance to "dead yeast", or like the smell you get from an old unlceaned beer bottle..

It fermented at 20c so not too high

Did it sit on the yeast cake after fermentation had finished for a long time?

I would only be reusing 1 cup max of yeast trub as US 05 will chew through the ferment quickly at that temp.

How fresh was the can Kirky? Its always hard hard decipher an online problem, I brewed recently 2 saisons, same process same yeast except one recipe I exchanged the sugar (7%) for LDME, the LDME version is harsh on flavour with a horsey smell which i put down to the yeast, certainly not what it should be, my reasoning> the LDME has sat about 18 months uncared for in my brew shed. All your processe`s look spot on!

How fresh was the can Kirky? Its always hard hard decipher an online problem, I brewed recently 2 saisons, same process same yeast except one recipe I exchanged the sugar (7%) for LDME, the LDME version is harsh on flavour with a horsey smell which i put down to the yeast, certainly not what it should be, my reasoning> the LDME has sat about 18 months uncared for in my brew shed. All your processe`s look spot on!

To be honest i didnt check the date on either the can or the ldme... I know i should have but hey, hindsights a wonderful thing.

I didnt dump the wort onto the trub, but rather I collected approx 1 litre of trub from fermentor at bottling, then pitched the collected trub onto fresh wort.

I know ferment would be better at 16-18c, but I have brewed many an ale at 20-22 with US05 and its usually fine.

To be honest i didnt check the date on either the can or the ldme... I know i should have but hey, hindsights a wonderful thing.

I didnt dump the wort onto the trub, but rather I collected approx 1 litre of trub from fermentor at bottling, then pitched the collected trub onto fresh wort.

I know ferment would be better at 16-18c, but I have brewed many an ale at 20-22 with US05 and its usually fine.

Well I just had another one and it didnt have the smell.. Perhaps the bottle i used had some dead yeast still in it producnig some off odours?

However as a side note, I bottled 20 in glass longies and 10 in plastic coopers... The coopers are significantly lower carbed- I guess they must be leaking... Ill stick to glass!

Did you boil the liquor from the crystal steeping?

If its the smell I think you're talking about it is directly proportional to your level of inebriation. The more you drink the more it goes away....

If its the smell I think you're talking about it is directly proportional to your level of inebriation. The more you drink the more it goes away....

The steeped liquid was boiled for 30 minutes...

I have tried two bottles, one from a glass longneck which had a rank odour (but tasted ok).

I tried a second 24 hours later from a plastic bottle and taste was the same essentially but no odd odour whatsoever. My guess is the bottle must not have been cleaned properly...

Back