Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to get another

image.jpg

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. A bit green, just 2 weeks in the bottle, delicious though.
Apologies for the indoor shot...it's effing oppressive outside.

IMAG0193%20-%20Copy.jpg

I made it using a 5" water filter from ebay, some threaded plastic plumbing tube from bunnings, & 2 JG female fittings. I replaced the filter insert with a hop blocker (so I could fit more stuff in) which just gets wedged into the blue inlet with a rubber band to seal.

A couple of weeks ago I had the hankering to brew, but I'd basically run out of base malt with the exception of 1/2 a sack of dark wheat. Closest thing to a wheat yeast was T-58, so this is what I did.

23l batch
Wey dark wheat 4kg
Maris otter 830g (bye bye base malt)
Caraaroma 250g
Acidulated 50g

25 IBU of b saaz @ 60

Hit OG 1.050
FG 1.012

Turned out alright! Pleasant & malty. Yeast isn't anywhere near as exciting as it could be, but works well. Holds a mean head.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391656247.002407.jpg

Looks great, Liam.

I know with T58, it really likes to be pushed (I"m thinking low-mid 20's) before throwing flavours, but when it does, gets some great bubblegum going.

I ran it at 20-21 and yeah, kind of wishing I'd pushed it. Not to worry though, it was pretty much a 'leftovers' beer so I'm glad that it's at least nice. The yeast was out of date also. haha.

Liam_snorkel said:
I made it using a 5" water filter from ebay, some threaded plastic plumbing tube from bunnings, & 2 JG female fittings. I replaced the filter insert with a hop blocker (so I could fit more stuff in) which just gets wedged into the blue inlet with a rubber band to seal.
Liam I think you have just made a lucky eBay supplier rich. I just bought one.

I just did a beer with t58 too. Bought it just 'cause really.
Had some crystal red wheat at 60L and 200L.
Just finished 4 days at 24c.

Tonight's glass is full of golden ale with wyeast ardennes.
Is what it says on the tin; good balance of fruit and earth.
Bloody tasty actually.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

One of waggastew's brews. I'm really enjoying this, particularly as it's a style I've never brewed myself
I can't do better to describe it than its creator. It's a precise description of what the beer is like.
Very much to style, as far as I can tell with my amateur knowledge based on commercial examples I've tasted.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Again, I can't do better than the creator's description.
It's a little lighter than previous versions I've tasted, with malt, hops flavour and aroma, and bitterness all lighter and balanced, rather than in your face.
It is a well balanced package, and if I have one criticism, it's that to me it is a little light on hop aroma and flavour for an IPA.
To me it is more towards the high end of an APA rather than an IPA. It is a little hazy, but that's not necessarily unexpected with an IPA's hopping regime.
Still, I'm very happy to drink this brew, and as a self confessed hop head, it's going down rather well!

I continue to be impressed with waggastew's efforts, considering they are all partials. You wouldn't know it from tasting them, they're as good as anything I produce as an AG brew.

warra48 said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_2429.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG_2428.jpg

Again, I can't do better than the creator's description.
It's a little lighter than previous versions I've tasted, with malt, hops flavour and aroma, and bitterness all lighter and balanced, rather than in your face.
It is a well balanced package, and if I have one criticism, it's that to me it is a little light on hop aroma and flavour for an IPA.
To me it is more towards the high end of an APA rather than an IPA. It is a little hazy, but that's not necessarily unexpected with an IPA's hopping regime.
Still, I'm very happy to drink this brew, and as a self confessed hop head, it's going down rather well!

I continue to be impressed with waggastew's efforts, considering they are all partials. You wouldn't know it from tasting them, they're as good as anything I produce as an AG brew.
Thanks for the nice comments on the beers Rob. That version of the IPA is the first time I have used gelatine on an IPA. IMHO it really stripped out alot of the hops. Next incarnation will drop the gelatine, increase mash temp a notch, and fiddle with the hop profile pushing more towards the 5-0min additions.

Dedicated to Yob, purveyor of fine hops and tireless glassware getter.

IPA with Apollo, CTZ, Cascade and Galaxy... 55 IBUs.

Tasty ! I like a long boils with IPAs...nice caramely flavors. Similar to ESBs.

American Wheat, Belma hops, 18IBU, 4.5%, too easy to drink...actually clear..Cairns humidity makes it hard to photograph due to condensation on the cold glass

P1060204.JPG

Farm House Saison, I couldn't be happier with this.

saison 001.JPG

Latest posts

Back