Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dark Lager , produced by T-bagging method.
And trying out the new telephoto lens !
Nev

darklager.JPG

T-bagging? Some form of natural yeast addition? :icon_vomit:

brew looks the goods :)

You guys are so rude. ;)
T-bagging simple put, I brewed 100L of Vienna, ran off 50L into the fermenter then got my dark lager special grain and dropped then into my hop basket and T bagged in the remaining 50L for 20 mins.
Hey presto dark lager and a Vienna..
Tastes great, should try it.
Nev

Black n Tan said:
"The Witches Cauldron" American Imperial Red Ale. I used hot rocks (heated granite rocks on the bbq) to caramelise the wort and it was reminiscent of a witches cauldron when I added the hot rocks. It ended up darkening the beer considerably and it really only looks red if held up to the sun, but taste pretty good. It has 56IBU but the bitterness is well balanced by the caramel sweetness. This is for the Victorian July case swap. Served in my brand new TOØL tulip glass (thanks Frothie).
attachicon.gif
photo.jpeg
Did you take note of the rocks to wort ratio?
I'd like to have a go at this myself.
Did you lick the rocks afterwords?

I have no idea what's in my glass. An American Pale of sorts. Yob gave me some bottles today and half of them are full. They are now being emptied via my drinking vessel.

bfeaa9f6-2a12-4bab-8c5f-2e7e6f52ea6b_zps9fc0aba6.jpg

Online Brewing Supplies said:
You guys are so rude. ;)
T-bagging simple put, I brewed 100L of Vienna, ran off 50L into the fermenter then got my dark lager special grain and dropped then into my hop basket and T bagged in the remaining 50L for 20 mins.
Hey presto dark lager and a Vienna..
Tastes great, should try it.
Nev
Ah, I'm with you now. Similar to what some of us no-chillers do. Spec grains in the cube.

Meet Brett, he is an IPA.......

OK, so brettanomyces fermented IPA's are all the rage so I thought what is an easy way to experiment with the style? This is how I did it:

14231851280_e7272f653a_s.jpg

1. Attend the 2013 NSW AHC at Castle Hill as a Steward, swiping the odd used PET bottle from the empty pile to take home
2. Sanitise the SH%T out of the bottles when I get home.
3. Six months later brew a batch of my Nationals winning AIPA
4. Bottle said batch of IPA using my usual sanitation schedule
5. Open one bottle of the IPA that must have been sourced from the NSW AHC that has the mother of all Brett infections OR belonged in the Belgian Farmhouse category. Cannot understand why its pouring all head? Take one sniff, look at empty bottle and it looks like a Howard Florey's post-holiday sink.

Still, not a bad beer. Dry as a dead dingoes donga and definitely worth exploring the emerging style.

Dave70 said:
Did you take note of the rocks to wort ratio?
I'd like to have a go at this myself.
Did you lick the rocks afterwords?
I used about 12 fist sized granite rocks, heated directly on BBQ flame for a couple of hours. I removed 10L from the 50L in the braumeister into a pot and then added the rocks one at a time. Even though it was only 20% of the total wort, it has added considerable caramel flavour. The first few didn't do much, just bringing it back toward the boil, but after that it produced a very vigorous bill. Apparently you can add the rocks to the fermenter to extract some more flavour, but that seemed like overkill. I put the rocks in some water afterwards and soaked for a few days, but it really didn't colour the water at all, so I don't think I wasted any caramelised sugars.

View attachment Stein Beer Photos.tiff

Red Hill Wheat Beer. Delicious but a bit oxidised. Grrr, bane upon yee Dan Murphy. Bane upon yee.

:angry2:

Liam_snorkel said:
Ah, I'm with you now. Similar to what some of us no-chillers do. Spec grains in the cube.
American Brown Ale made with this method.

Dark spec grains (carafa 2 and choc) steeped with a portion of the main mash wort drawn off after dough-in of the base and crystal malts.
Half the double batch went into a cube with the dark wort and cube hopped with Nugget and CTZ.

The other half stayed in the kettle for 10 mins with 1kg home grown Cascade.

This brown is probably (definitely) bordering a porter if we're going to be style nazis, but I'm very pleased with it.
Good head, but not quite as good as the sister batch. Maybe the acidic dark grains affect this? I'm sure more learned people can interject.

20140615_131938.jpg

fletcher said:
what was the recipe for that one mate?
Hey,

Its the same IPA I made and posted last week just was from out the back.

OG - 1.061
IBU - 62

95% Ale & 5% Crystal 60 mashed @ 67 for 90mins

Warrior @ 60m to 40ibu
Amarillo & Centennial @ 5m to 22ibu

Dry hopped for 7days after ferment - 28g citra & 14g crystal

The warrior at 40ibu is pleasently balanced with the flavour of the 5min amarillo and centennial combo.

Back