Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Hi Batz,

because of winter setting in and the general temps reducing Im going to make a lager. been making ales for ages now and just started secondary for a kolsch so when that has finished its lager time...., can you direct me to the recipe for the Far Kin Lager that you have made?

Dan

Right here Dan, easy azz recipie that will appeal to most people. It's an easy drinking Aussie lager but far better than anything you get at the local, it's one of my ' on tap' beers here, but then I do have 5 beers on tap.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1500-batz-far-kin-lager-typical-aussie-pub-beer/

Batz

Well I think I worked out what you guys are after in a photo.
Just blew the keg. I called this beer fruity as fire truck.
People enjoyed it.

Coopers pale kit on top of the yeast cake from an AG pale I did and then dry hopped in the fermenter after 4 days with 20g of Nelson and 20g of Mosaic. fruity.jpg

baby 062.jpg

This is a Belgian Special Blonde Ale I have put together, great head, very easy to drink!!!

Rowy said:
Hey Lager Boy! You afraid you might taste something!.........now where did I read that?

Afraid you can't brew one and we'll taste something?

I brew pilsners, lagers, ales and many others. I like to brew all the styles, and I like to drink them all as well. Variety the beer of life!

Batz said:
Right here Dan, easy azz recipie that will appeal to most people. It's an easy drinking Aussie lager but far better than anything you get at the local, it's one of my ' on tap' beers here, but then I do have 5 beers on tap.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1500-batz-far-kin-lager-typical-aussie-pub-beer/

Batz

I kegged my first Far Kin Lager last night. I might just have to throw some yeast at cube number 2 as I can't see this keg lasting.

Nice easy drinking. I've been punishing myself with 60-100 IBU IPAs of late.

Well done on a top recipe Batz.

Dave70 said:
You got it pal.
Nikon D7000
And I'll throw in a some commentary and waffling..

I've never really liked wheat beers, but I knew I should, so I persisted.
In the end it was the US to the rescue in the form of cascade hops, strict ferment temp control and keeping it simple.
I cracked the keg on Friday night and have been on a bender ever since. I reckon going 80% for 20% wheat would give a pretty close match to Squires 150.

Easy, peasy.

50% wheat
50% pale
Cascade - 18g @ 60
18g flameout

Mash - 67 deg
Ferment 17 deg with 1007 for a couple of weeks.

Finished about 15 IBU and 5.2 ABV.

Picture318_zps9f4d5ac0.jpg
And plus 50% saturation? :ph34r: :p

Never saw grass that colour green before!

21st Amendment Bitter American Clone

9038786031_b946b9671e.jpg

Appearance - Light golden. Thick white head with lots of lacing, lasts to the bottom of the glass

Aroma - Classic juicy American C-hop aroma.

Flavour - Clean, mineral profile, with medium hop flavour. Hops scream classic APA. Carbonation is good. Could use a bit more hop flavour for mine but nice crisp pale ale. Resin like bitterness sticks around on the palate marking it at the US end of the spectrum.

Overall - Nice crisp American Pale, great session beer.

21A-1
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.100
Total Hops (g): 156.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 8.2 (EBC): 16.2
Bitterness (IBU): 41.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (48.39%)
1.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (32.26%)
0.300 kg Munich I (9.68%)
0.150 kg Caramalt (4.84%)
0.150 kg Crystal 40 (4.84%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
28.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
43.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.3 g/L)
45.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (2.4 g/L)
25.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
1.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 70°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Right then !

I haven't got a leafy glade, squillion dollar SLR or any photography talent on me at the moment, but rules is rules, so...

I may have added a couple of props, I'm not telling which though. Ok, the glass on the microwave is added....don't you judge me !!

Oh, and its an oatmeal stout what I done...full bodied, chocolatey and smooth, thanks to the cool steep of the largely husk-less dark grains.
Pretty happy with this one, a better head retention would be better though.

image.jpg

mattdean4130 said:
And plus 50% saturation? :ph34r: :p

Never saw grass that colour green before!
Yep, thats what happens when you use a 35mm lens wide open on the VIVID setting.

Plus, I live in middle earth.

shire1_1696079c.jpg

Dave70 said:
Yep, thats what happens when you use a 35mm lens wide open on the VIVID setting.

shire1_1696079c.jpg
Say hi to the Hobits :)

Nice beer mate.

Here's my kristalweizen (or however you spell it). It is actually not filtered, rather high floc though from keg.

img20130614_222640.jpg

Friggen cold here tonight, so I tapped the dubbel that has been lying in wait for a few months (about 8).
dubbel1.JPG
Damm nice.

Dave70 said:

shire1_1696079c.jpg
Thats not Middle Earth...thats the Adelaide Hills!

Cheers
Chris

TasChris said:
Thats not Middle Earth...thats the Adelaide Hills!

Cheers
Chris
Then Adelaide Hills might appreciate my Angry Aragorn Amber Ale that's awaiting it's turn at the taps? :D
Nice looking beer Dave70 :super: I see you're another Lord of the Rings fan. Woodhill rocks. :super:

AAAA Pic coming soon.

Actually how does one get their wheat beer so cloudy? I don't think mine have ever turned out like Daves

I used 40% wheat and some oats too, no clouds..

Simcoe cube hopped ale. 150g in cube and 75g dry, Only kegged 20 mins ago and very nice. ( a bit cloudy but a day or 2 should fix that )

post-22537-0-15115700-1371278780_thumb.jpg

Big day of kegging beers. The kegerator is full and another 12 and a 1/2 kegs in the fermenting fridge sitting on 2 degrees.

I must have been a bit pissed when I loaded the fermenting fridge a few weeks ago as i still have an American Brown laced with Amarillo in a fermenter and no spare kegs.

There's a couple of pics from 3 weeks ago and a couple from 10 mins ago. A bit mixed up after too many schooners of 8% Centeniel IPA

My mission tomorrow is to drain a keg. V8 Supercars and lots of beer.

IMG_20130615_164331.jpg

IMG_20130615_160248.jpg

IMG_20130615_160257.jpg

IMG_20130412_110820.jpg

IMG_20130412_110753.jpg

Damn you and your commercial fridges!

Latest posts

Back