Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shitty stout,shitty cause its nearly gone!

20130418_214512.jpg

How do you guys get a white head on your stouts? All the ones I make come out with a dirty brown foaming head.
I know that it is really white in Guinness but that might have something to do with Nitrogen dispensing.

I use a lot of flaked barley in the mash?helps with head retention but not sure about the colour?.photo was taken under a bright light in the kitchen.Good question on how Guinness does it,dont know.One for the experts on this forum for sure.

For a white head on a black beer, use roast barley as the dark grain. Roast malt, also a dark grain will turn the head brown. Roast barley also has less of the burnt acrid flavours too. Simple, but easily confused.

Thanks for that mckenry never used roast barley last stout was a toucan with a bit of black malt, head is very brown. Will know for next time. You learn something everyday here.

The toucan could still give a brown head. Depends which grains they used in the first place.

drinking one of my first few BIABs. getting into fine tuning my process and getting my numbers and losses and shit down pat. this one turned out pretty sexy. only been 2 weeks in the bottle and tasting awesome. a few more weeks and i think he'll be a winner. first time using vienna malt. bit of a mish-mash of styles but not bad. still needs to clear a little.

baxter ale 1.JPG

my latest
an ale with victory and abbey malt hopped with amerillo
806E1E5C_zpsaa9ac56f.jpg

That sounds moreish barls.
lagrisette.JPG
The latest Grisette as the keg approaches mt.
Far too drinkable for my own good.

Some kind of smoked ale.
I didn't keep very good record of this one but its:
22l batch
4kg Munich 2
900g peat smoked malt
70g choc wheat
30-35 IBU of something

Surprisingly tasty.

image.jpg

Had my first Murrays Whale Ale whilst venturing south of the border a short time ago & was impressed. :icon_drool2:
My first attempt at cloning this beer went a little astray when I added Citra @ 0 minutes instead of continuing with the Kiwi hops
Very tasty nevertheless.

203 White Whale Ale.JPG

bradsbrew said:
Poured another.

Edit. Oh FFS
:icon_offtopic: I have to rotate my pics in a viewer on my computer 360 degrees back to where they were for them to show up the right way on this forum. I dont know why but thats what works for me.

Hmm lots of huge heads on some of these beers! I prefer a slower pour...
Here's a Pale Ale at just under 3 weeks bottled. Tasting pretty good i must say!

(Disregard the weird looking shit on the glass, from my hands and the flash caught it...)

PALEALE_zps59266b0b.jpg

My first attempt at an Oatmeal Stout. Inspired by my hometown in WA. Used just malted oats and removed the roasted barley. would defintaley include these on the next OMS

ABV - 5.8%

View attachment 62231

TidalPete said:
Had my first Murrays Whale Ale whilst venturing south of the border a short time ago & was impressed. :icon_drool2:
My first attempt at cloning this beer went a little astray when I added Citra @ 0 minutes instead of continuing with the Kiwi hops
Very tasty nevertheless.
Haven't been dropping in on the thread, missed that one. Looks the goods, Pete. I'm currently doing a 150 lashes attempt but when that's kegged I'll be ridin' the whale again. Citra would be a nice touch in this style - I often add some Cascade NZ hop tea.

Getting funked up.
funk.JPG
Biere de Ble Noir - black wheat beer with 10% buckwheat.
Odd but good.

Happygoodtime Lice Rager.

image.jpg

Tasty... And amazingly clear!

Back