Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I filter mine after a few days in seconday and they are clear first pull but if there is an easier way than filtering im all ears.

I will try it on the Blond i have in the fridge.

Thanks folks.

Cheers

It takes a bit of stirring to mix the gelatine up but for me it cleans up chill haze so that why I love it. Otherwise I would of got a filter a lomg time ago.

100_1351.jpg100_1352.jpg

...Alice in Chains American Pilsner...

nice one Rog,
what %age rye did you go with ?

i'm going to try a 75% rye roggen as soon as our bundy bulk buy shipment turns up (thanks Andrew :icon_cheers: )

cheers
Yard

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 25.42 %
1.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 25.42 %
1.50 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 25.42 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 16.95 %
0.17 kg Crystal Rye Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (157.6 EBC) Grain 2.88 %
0.17 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 2.89 %
0.06 kg Carafa II (811.6 EBC) Grain 1.02 %
24.00 gm B Saaz [6.70 %] (50 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
10.00 gm B Saaz [6.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1.00 items Banana (Boil 5.0 min)

Would probably up the Rye next time - not sure I am brave enough to go 75% though.

This is developing into my favorite style - so interesting - so different.

RM

100_1359.jpg

...The Dudley Dunkelweizen...

....all these beers were brewed with step mashes and notoriously head destroying protein rests...

Hargie............... knock it off would you.

Your making me thirsty :)

mashing a wheat now that had a head destroying protein rest while i did hte first decoction......... do you ming sharing what your mash schedule was :) Im very interested.

I went 52 for 30 min, decoction up to 63 for 40 min and decoction up to 71 for 20 min then mash out at that temp.

Its still pumping to the kettle now :)

cheers

..Tony...
...mash schedule is 52c for 15 min, 65c for 75 min, 72c for 15 min.... long mashes but very high efficiency, typically 87-90%...

...and i've been meaning to tell you this for ages ,but the first AG beer i did was based on one of your Dukelweizen recipes. It won the wheat class at the 2006 ACT Championships with a Gold Medal (bjcp) and went to the Nats that year...Thanks...

...good to see the bugs didn't beat you in the end...brew on..

Ahhh so mine is close...... there are so many different theorys to mashing wheats....... i do love the decoction malt richness with out low attenuation sweetnes. I try and mash cooler with a decoction as the heating through the temp ranges twice seems to even out the body. If i mash too hot and decoct i get poor attenuation and hence...... cloying sweetness.

The bugs will never beat me! I keep working at anything till its right and i seem to be on top of it now.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS :)

And the Dunkelweizen...... i remember that well. Glad it did well for you in competition. I do pride myself on recipe formulation, but it takes a good brewer to make it well enough to succeed at those levels! and by the looks of those beers, your doing well!

here is a pic of a 1 liter stein of my dunkelweizen. Going to brew it again soon but with some dark wheat malt.

cheers

Dunkelweizen.JPG

..Tony...
...mash schedule is 52c for 15 min, 65c for 75 min, 72c for 15 min.... long mashes but very high efficiency, typically 87-90%...

:icon_offtopic: Mashing at the moment and so far hit the exact temps as above, going for 73 for 15 min now. :icon_cheers:

Me three... leg hump. B)

Warren -

Add me to the circle jerk.

Screwy's Method (Extension of Jye's Method):

After fermentation has ceased the temp setting is dropped to around 3C for 2 days, then the beer is racked to a keg to which gelatine fining has been added. Keg is then force carbed and placed into the CCing fridge/freezer at around 3C. The first half glass is usually murky and is thrown out, from there on the beer pours clear. There's pretty much the normal amount of crud left in the bottom of the keg below the dip tube after emptying.

TO PREPARE THE GELATINE FINING: In a microwave safe jug, I prefer glass, place one teaspoon of Gelatine in 100ml of water and mix a little, leave for 5 min to hydrate then stir and pop into the microwave for 15 min at 10% power. Our LG Microwave holds the temp around 80C - 85C at this setting and so pasteurises but doesn't boil the mixture. No need to allow to cool, just add to the bottom of the keg before racking the beer to it from the fermenter. Shaking during force carbing is sufficient for mixing, the temp will be around 6C a good temp for force carbing the beer.

Screwy

Pilsner with the addition of melanoidal malt, very malty, but th hop bitterness balances it well.

camembert_006.jpg

here is the APA i have on tap at the moment.

I have never liked american hops and deciced to see if i could make an APA i like. I dont even like LCPA :eek: :ph34r:

It fatigues me a bit but im enjoying it in a sence. It doesnt have the hop aroma needed to win comp medals but its a nice easy drinking beer with a fair american punch and clensing bitterness on the sides of the tongue in aftertaste. This is what i like about it i guess, the bitterness.

Recipe:

Yanky Bull Snot Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.05
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.66
Anticipated EBC: 15.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.6 9.00 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038 4
5.0 0.50 kg. TF Pale Crystal UK 1.034 100
5.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 24
0.5 0.05 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 900

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
26.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 6.80 9.4 First WH
22.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 12.8 45 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.30 3.3 15 min.
20.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 6.3 15 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.30 0.9 2 min.
30.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 1.6 2 min.
26.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.0 2 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.5 tablets Irish Moss Fining 8 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

US-05

cheers

APA__549_x_824_.jpg

...good stuff....what beer..??

Pm sent with the recipe [didn't want to go off topic again]

But here is an APA I just poured, no filter just what the "circle jerk" guys are doing. :lol: :lol: .

APA_web1.jpg

Latest posts

Back