Whats In The Glass Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out cutting up a flase bottom for someone when i found a bottle of my 6.2% roggenbier in the fridge.

What did you do with it i hear you all ask!

I drank it!

here is a pic for all those out there who have never seen or tasted a german roggenbier.

It is an incredable style.......... the beer starts out sweet and full boddied in the mouth with spicy rye and sweet clove and bananna. It them turns to a spicy tang and finnishes dry in the mouth, not heavy at all. It has a consistancy that has to be seen to be believed, bubbles move in slow motion, its almost thick but finishes light and fluffy in the mouth.

Its something worth making the effort to brew.

It will test your system.......... if your system will handle 50%+ rye malt........ it will hande anything.

Imagine mashing porridge........... im not joking.

if you try this, use about 1.5 liters of rice gulls per KG of malt in the mash. I used 1 KG and it stuck!!!............. hard!!! If i did it again which i will as im a gluten for punishment, id use 2 liters / KG of malt. Thats shit loads of rice gulls but you need them. The rye goes like glue.

It qualified for the AABC (aus nationals) from the NSW state champs where is recieved great response but the losers there (aabc that is) didnt recognise the style, even though its in the BJCP guidelines.

Because of this rejection i will never send another beer to the AABC........... no mater how well it goes in state comp............. F*&K THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i will finnish the second glass of this fantastic and hard to brew style and calm down :p :party:

cheers

Looks booooootiful, Tony. Another big fan of rye here. Think you might just have persuaded me to give a roggenbier a run. :chug:

I too would like to give a roggenbier a try this year as I am a fan of rye malt.

For tonight it is a Saaz or Sterling hops ale made with a 1275 yeast for Mrs johnno and a JS porter for me.

cheers
johnno

P2015314.JPG

Looks booooootiful, Tony. Another big fan of rye here. Think you might just have persuaded me to give a roggenbier a run. :chug:

I have about 25 undrunk bottles of Roggenbier Stu, made it and it's not really my thing :blink:

What's that, Johnno? :eek:

DJR, round first thing tomorrow to pick up 25 bottles of roggenbier. Great. :D

I have about 25 undrunk bottles of Roggenbier Stu, made it and it's not really my thing :blink:

I'll lighten your doorstep of a bottle or two if you like......

Johnno, looks like the beer in the glass is frozen???

Just admiring the great beer, johnno. :eek: :lol: :ph34r:

What's that, Johnno? :eek:

DJR, round first thing tomorrow to pick up 25 bottles of roggenbier. Great. :D

Hey, not so fast, maybe i can grow to like it before all you guys decide to drink it before me! It's not that bad i promise, just a bit heavy for a night on the turps if you know what i mean!

DSC06322.JPG

Mine was 1050 something and about 15-20 IBU from memory, a lot of munich malt, rolled rye, rye malt, pils, carafa for colour, fermented with Weihenstephan and Pacman.

Rye's a love it or hate it flavour though - that spicy "rubbery" taste is a bit much at times.

Well i just looked up the recipe and found that i only used 40 something % rye.

bloody hell........... no wonder i only ever hear of beers being made with 30% and less.

here is the recipe scaled down to a 23 liter batch.

cheers

Roggenbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-D German Wheat And Rye Beer, Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)

Min OG: 1.046 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 28 Max Clr: 37 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.90
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.16
Anticipated EBC: 31.7
Anticipated IBU: 20.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43.5 3.00 kg. TF Pale Rye Malt UK 1.034 8
21.7 1.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
14.5 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
14.5 1.00 kg. Rice Hulls Australia 1.000 0
4.3 0.30 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100
1.4 0.10 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special I Germany 1.036 950

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
25.00 g. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.20 12.2 60 min.
25.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 4.20 6.1 15 min.
25.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 4.20 2.4 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.05 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

i decoction mashed mine and got extremly high efficiency in the 85% mark and got a SG of 1.063 from memmory. Its a bit stronger than style but itt rocks.

cheers

Just admiring the great beer, johnno. :eek: :lol: :ph34r:

Ah ... ok.

The ale was made with either some old Sterling or Saaz hops. I'm not sure which as the label had dissapeared. But I am leaning towards the Saaz at the moment.

It is a bit of a slurpee at the top of the glass as she had it in the freezer trying to cool it quickly. it was only bottled yesterday and is coming along fine when I had a taste.

cheers
johnno

Well, on the 30th I became the proud father of my first brewing assistant Megan! To celebrate her home coming, I got myself one of these to share with my dad, who is really starting to get a taste for good beer.

Chimay_Grand_Reserve.jpg

Was hard to take a photo with one hand... This is dads glass as I was drinking mine while taking the photo!

Chimay_Grand_Reserve_in_glass.jpg

Anyone cultured the yeast from one of these? May make my first Belgian attempt to be close to this style?

Congratulations, jazzafish! :super: :super:

And the daughter bit's good too. :lol:

Well done Jazza. I hope mum and bub are doing well. Will have a few beers for ya tonight

Thanks guys,

Mum and bub are great! Will have one or two for me aswell

I'm still waiting for the photo of the newborn in a glass.....

Congratulations!

Can yoy give me a photoshop lesson?

Congratulations J :beerbang:

Had some good results here today as well with some molecular analysis I've been working on for the past 4 months :beerbang:

Definately ready for celebratory drinky poos tonight in front of the cricket :super: :party:

Cheers.

Congrats Jazza! Good to hear you're all doing well.

The best bit is when you've got a bub in one arm, a beer in the other, and the bub is reaching for the beer everytime you have a gulp!

I assume a Meaghan dedicated batch will be at a future pizza night?

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back