Whats In The Glass Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a fair swap to me. :blink:

(Westy 12 - yum yum)

Warren -

Had to provide something.

Sorry mate only bought the one. Got it from ebay from a belgium seller.

Did you take tasting notes? How much delivered to Sydney or did you carry it back from a visit?

Anyone made a clone of this before?

Just curious on why this is ranked the world's best beer.

drinking my Little Creatures Bright ale clone at the moment.

this is about the 4th form a 50 liter keg of it :)

ohhhhhhhh its good...... very very close to the origional.

recipe is in the recipe section :chug:

cheers

In my glass tonight is a goldenish amberish ale made with 95% Pilsener malt, 4% Melanoidin and 1% CaraAroma mashed at 66*C.
FWH Simcoe, Simcoe boil and Simcoe flame out, ~35 IBU
US-56
1.049 - 1.008
~5.4% abv

I find that scarcity drives the passion behind rankings like 'worlds best'. If it's the world's best anything, you're unlikely to be able to pick it up at your local KMart, $2 Shop or Bottle-O.

The fact that it is so hard to get this beer, drives its reputation into the region normally reserved for precious metals and rocks measured in carats. No doubt the drinker would savour every last drop, perpetuating the belief that this beer is the best ever (commercially) brewed.

I'm not saying this beer is anything but brilliant (it really is superb, as I remember), but when site after site ranks this beer as best, and it remains hard to get, it's going to be pretty hard not to like it* :ph34r:

*Theory of my own devising. Possibly made under the influence...

I find that scarcity drives the passion behind rankings like 'worlds best'. If it's the world's best anything, you're unlikely to be able to pick it up at your local KMart, $2 Shop or Bottle-O.

The fact that it is so hard to get this beer, drives its reputation into the region normally reserved for precious metals and rocks measured in carats. No doubt the drinker would savour every last drop, perpetuating the belief that this beer is the best ever (commercially) brewed.

I'm not saying this beer is anything but brilliant (it really is superb, as I remember), but when site after site ranks this beer as best, and it remains hard to get, it's going to be pretty hard not to like it* :ph34r:

*Theory of my own devising. Possibly made under the influence...

G'day Bugwan,

Thanks for your post. I ran into a similar problem in 2005 when I tried to get my hands on some 2000 Grange Hermitage. Short supply due to lack of grapes, etc. Eventually I obtained some from Penfolds themselves after I made a complaint that all the pricks on eBay could buy up big and cash in.

So does scarcity drive passion? No. It regulates price.

I'm not doubting that after all the reviews I've read that this beer is one of the world's best amongst many peers. I sure do hope that Blake 'savoured' every last drop. I'd just like to hear some more that's all.

Eventually I'd love to get there one day and line up like everyone else for the sales. Hope that it's worth it, I'm sure it would be.

So how about a clone? Anyone?

Cheers.

where's the picture GT ?

cheers

My strong belgian, all bottled :party:

100_0251.jpg

Blake,

7.18pm and you are online - any tasting notes for the 12?

Cheers.

<snip>

So does scarcity drive passion? No. It regulates price.

I'm not doubting that after all the reviews I've read that this beer is one of the world's best amongst many peers. I sure do hope that Blake 'savoured' every last drop. I'd just like to hear some more that's all.

Eventually I'd love to get there one day and line up like everyone else for the sales. Hope that it's worth it, I'm sure it would be.

So how about a clone? Anyone?

Cheers.

I agree Duff, I didn't mean to be controversial in any way. Certainly, scarcity doesn't drive passion. I also don't doubt for a minute that Blake didn't savour every drop, as any of us would!

It's just the fascination that drives my interest. Now, in terms of clones...

This recipe seems to be doing the rounds on the web (apologies for US measurements).

Westvleteren Abt 12 clone (batch #1) (for 3.5 gallons)

18.5 lbs Belgian Pale Malt
1 lb Clear Candi Sugar (1L)
1 lb Amber Candi Sugar (75L)
0.5 lb Dark Candi Sugar (275L)

0.7 oz Northern Brewer Hop Pellets (7.8% AA) (60 min)
0.3 oz Northern Brewer Hop Pellets (15 min)
0.3 oz Northern Brewer Hop Pellets (5 min)

Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity Yeast (1/2 gallon starter)

Single infusion mash at 152F.

OG: 1.104 (at 40% no sparge efficiency)
IBU: ~30
SRM: ~30

I read once that the Westvleteren brewery pitch yeast at around 28-29C. (That might be in 'Brew like a Monk' actually).

Good luck!

Thanks bugwan, will adapt and give it a go soon. I'd like to have a beer with you one day.

Blake, anything else regarding the receipe?

Cheers.

Did you take tasting notes? How much delivered to Sydney or did you carry it back from a visit?

Anyone made a clone of this before?

Bought it for $1 on ebay, i was the only bidder, delivery was $23 so $24 total.
I have been looking for some clone recipes but there isnt lots. What I do know is that the base malt is pale malt/pilsner malt. there is about 10-12% dark candi sugar in it. and they pitch the yeast at 20ish and let the yeast do their thing and let it warm to 26ish. A recipe is at the bottom.

In terms of taste. I was very sceptical and put its stigma behind me, the rarity add to the excitment of having it but I would challenge anyone to falt it really. I mean I was drinking it and thinking, you just cant make beer taste any better than this, you just cant not give it 5/5 The only thing i would say is while a great smell it wasnt as strong as i would hope but thats nitpicking..... On to the notes:

overall: 4.9/5
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

Presentation - Brown 330ml bottle. Yellow cap,

Appearance - Very dark - Dark Amber. Wonderfull head retention and lacing

Smell - Plums, rasins, toffee, and beautiful alcohol phenols, anise, honey backed with mild malt character and spices

Taste - Alcohol & dark fruits fuse into a delecate flavour of complex malt characters. Wonderfull complex stages of alcohol, dark fruits, dark candy, and some earthen yeast flavours. this beer so wonderfully complex and yet so very drinkable. Alcohol is strong but only assists in drinkablility, adds a spicy, warming and slightly dry element. As the complex malts leave a soft hop bitterness developing a slightly dry mouth and soft grassy tones balanced with the sweet malt body.

Mouthfeel
- Bloody outstanding, thick and sticky, very soft in the mouth, fluffy. All assisting to make this so easy to finish. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability
- So very easy to drink, smooth and complex, warming alcohol flavour carries this beer down with ease. Utterly hard to falt truly without a doubt one of the best beers in the world.

-----------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Westy 12
Brewer: Blake Muir
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale /Quad
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.95 L
Boil Size: 16.26 L
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 41.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.40 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 43.6 %
3.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.6 %
40.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50%] (90 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 12.8 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Thanks Blake.

Between yours and bugwans receipes, one could start to make a style/clone of this beer.

Hope to see you on the Sydney crawl in April.

Cheers.

my first weizen. bloody bewdiful, dangerously drinkable.

weizen.jpg

Bought it for $1 on ebay, i was the only bidder, delivery was $23 so $24 total.
I have been looking for some clone recipes but there isnt lots. What I do know is that the base malt is pale malt/pilsner malt. there is about 10-12% dark candi sugar in it. and they pitch the yeast at 20ish and let the yeast do their thing and let it warm to 26ish. A recipe is at the bottom.

In terms of taste. I was very sceptical and put its stigma behind me, the rarity add to the excitment of having it but I would challenge anyone to falt it really. I mean I was drinking it and thinking, you just cant make beer taste any better than this, you just cant not give it 5/5 The only thing i would say is while a great smell it wasnt as strong as i would hope but thats nitpicking..... On to the notes:

overall: 4.9/5
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

Presentation - Brown 330ml bottle. Yellow cap,

Appearance - Very dark - Dark Amber. Wonderfull head retention and lacing

Smell - Plums, rasins, toffee, and beautiful alcohol phenols, anise, honey backed with mild malt character and spices

Taste - Alcohol & dark fruits fuse into a delecate flavour of complex malt characters. Wonderfull complex stages of alcohol, dark fruits, dark candy, and some earthen yeast flavours. this beer so wonderfully complex and yet so very drinkable. Alcohol is strong but only assists in drinkablility, adds a spicy, warming and slightly dry element. As the complex malts leave a soft hop bitterness developing a slightly dry mouth and soft grassy tones balanced with the sweet malt body.

Mouthfeel
- Bloody outstanding, thick and sticky, very soft in the mouth, fluffy. All assisting to make this so easy to finish. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability
- So very easy to drink, smooth and complex, warming alcohol flavour carries this beer down with ease. Utterly hard to falt truly without a doubt one of the best beers in the world.

-----------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Westy 12
Brewer: Blake Muir
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale /Quad
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.95 L
Boil Size: 16.26 L
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 41.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.40 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 43.6 %
3.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.6 %
40.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50%] (90 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 12.8 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale
Oh great yet another clone I simply MUST try, divorce can't be too far away now.

My first Ag wheat - shes a bloody beautiful beer, coriander, orange peel, spicy T58 yeast. Havent tasted anything like it. Finally coaxed Trevor (my pet huntsman) into the photo. Unfortunately the pressure got to him and he carked it on the spot (either that or hes pissed as hes no longer moving :( ).

View attachment 11204

Wake up Trevor!
Cheers
Steve

P.S. He eats redbacks for lunch

My first Ag wheat - shes a bloody beautiful beer, coriander, orange peel, spicy T58 yeast. Havent tasted anything like it. Finally coaxed Trevor (my pet huntsman) into the photo. Unfortunately the pressure got to him and he carked it on the spot (either that or hes pissed as hes no longer moving :( ).

View attachment 11204

Wake up Trevor!
Cheers
Steve

P.S. He eats redbacks for lunch

:blink: :eek: :ph34r:

Warren -

[ Finally coaxed Trevor (my pet huntsman) into the photo. Unfortunately the pressure got to him and he carked it on the spot (either that or hes pissed as hes no longer moving.

View attachment 11204
[/quote]

Poor Trevor, gone forever.
crying-022.gif

If only our exit from this Vale of Tears could be as satisying?

:beer:

My partial mash belgian wit - 3 Orange Wit

Colour is a little less white than ideal but it's very nice. Will be drinking much fresher next time though, is still nice but hasn't aged as well as others even at only a few months old.

3orangewit.jpg

snap0054.jpg
'scuse the crappy photo, I'm reduced to using my phone....

Paddywagon Red Ale (well it was meant to be red......)

55 litre batch

10kg JW Pilsner Malt
1kg Amber Malt
250g Rolled Oats

50g Challenger plug@ 60 mins
40g Fuggles pellets @ flameout

The 55 litres came out at 1.046, yeast was Nottingham dried ale yeast.
Brewday was 8th dec, fermented at 18 degrees (was a bit slow fermenting, but I was fighting against some extreme temps so I chose the low temp road) until cc'd on 1st January till 11th January and then kegged. Not displeased with it, has good head and mouth feel, but didn't quite achieve the maltiness I was aiming for, I may up the amber very slightly next time I do this one and maybe use ale malt instead of pils. Thanks to Kai for his advice regarding using the Amber I had never used before. I probably would have really overdone the amber otherwise. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back