Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went up north the other week, and took a detour via Warners Bay 'for a couple of nice takeaways'. When the Mrs said it was her shout, and to get as many as my little beery heart desired, this was what we walked out with.

That Japanese Barley Wine looks interesting.

Actually the barley wine was one of the standouts. This was a few weeks ago, and we were staying in a very cold location at the Barringtons (high elevation country). So a big, meaty, malty brew was a treat. The other gem was the chocolate cherry porter. Unusual, but brilliant.

Between the two of us, they were all gone in two days :beer:

What's got your royal bumness upset? Did i spell something wrong?

+

Fairly amusing since you're being the princess here. Was just a joke about how hard pretty much every word in those beers is to spell.

I'll try to refrain from talking up your sensitive vagina anymore, ma'am.

=

popcorn%20large%20group%20low%20rez.jpg

Hook Norton Old Hooky. Had this before, and I really like it. Malty delicious ale. Num num.

Put the popcorn away, my sensitive vagina doesn't like salt!. Being a bum reply, I thought it might've been a dig at my spelling. It wasn't, just a bad read by me. End of story.

Carry on!

Swung by Dan's today as I'd given my old man a tripel the other night and he wanted some similar beers to try.
Found two pumpkin ales in stock so I thought I'd give them a try.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale from a brewery in New York State.
Definite spice and a nice malty mouthfeel. Quite enjoyed this one.
View attachment 58091

Gage Rds Pumpkin Ale
Hint of spice but a little thin in the body and mouthfeel to me. Lacking that nice caramel and maltiness that most pumpkin ales I've tried have had.
Definitely second best to the Saranac to me.
View attachment 58092

Gage Rds Pumpkin Ale
Hint of spice but a little thin in the body and mouthfeel to me. Lacking that nice caramel and maltiness that most pumpkin ales I've tried have had.
Drinking one of these now. "a little thin" seems generous to me. It tastes like a shandy version of the pumpkin ale I made last year. There's a mild lingering alcohol warmth that really seems out of place in this beer. It isn't an awful beer but for a beer that will be the first pumpkin ale experience for many I think it is completely unrepresentative of the style (having said that, I'm starting to have very strong suspicions that this is why beers like this are starting to show up in Woolies).

Drinking one of these now. "a little thin" seems generous to me. It tastes like a shandy version of the pumpkin ale I made last year. There's a mild lingering alcohol warmth that really seems out of place in this beer. It isn't an awful beer but for a beer that will be the first pumpkin ale experience for many I think it is completely unrepresentative of the style (having said that, I'm starting to have very strong suspicions that this is why beers like this are starting to show up in Woolies).
It is definitely unrepresentative of the style to me also. It was definitely thin I was perhaps being a little diplomatic :) Anyone visiting Dan Murphy's I'd recommend the Saranac, I assume they are available nationwide not just Holland Park, Qld...

Im pretty sure the latest dans brochure had these two beers written up on the inside back page, flavour of the month,or something like that. So shouod be everywhere.

8 Wired iStout

8WiredIStout.jpg

Been looking at it on the shelf at my local good beer stockist for over 6 months now, always been meaning to pick up a bottle. Finally grabbed one last weekend, didn't even realise it was an imperial stout until I took it out of the fridge tonight.

Pretty bloody good I must say. It deserves its ratebeer rating.

That Japanese Barley Wine looks interesting.
I got shouted a pour from an aged large-sized bottle of this in Japan and it was seriously good, but I am sure that bottle was well nurtured compared to the marathon the majority of our imports endure. Bairds are a cool brewery.

I love Bairds and have never had a dud bottle here (all procured from Slowbeer). Obviously, brewery fresh(tm) is always best but we do get good bottles here.

It is definitely unrepresentative of the style to me also. It was definitely thin I was perhaps being a little diplomatic :) Anyone visiting Dan Murphy's I'd recommend the Saranac, I assume they are available nationwide not just Holland Park, Qld...

Spotted the Saranac in the local woolies yesterday, along with the Sail and anchor Pale Ale and Kolsch, will give 'em a couple weeks when they dont sell and grab some cheap,

nothing real different sells too well around these parts.

Bought some of these through ebay, came in a crate and all.
Augustiner Bru
Lager beer helles
From munich in germany, worked out to be $6 a bottle with postage and all

photo.JPG

Had this last night.

I think it was an oaked version of this they sent to the last GABS. Loved it then (it got my people's choice vote), and I love it still. It's just missing the vanilla etc from the oak.

Nine malts are crammed into this one apparently and they all blend beautifully, and with just a little hint of smoke too.

Great beer.

Augustiner Bru
Lager beer helles

$6 a bottle is good for us I guess. But when it costs about 0.80 per bottle over there it there is profit to be made on selling to the countries with really high beer taxes.
Great beer and I bet it's super fresh.

Augustiner Bru
Lager beer helles

So, you just bought in on german ebay and got it sent here?. Is that legal? easy?. How many bottles in the crate?

As i posted on the Boston Brewery thread, an APA from the local Denmark brewery here in South West Oz. Hopefully will get there this arvo to try the lager and IPA

IMG_20121027_191239.jpg

Latest posts

Back