Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e7a1ca1c.jpg

This is the best imperial stout I've had. Very roasty, good firm bitterness and nice warm alcohol. My missus is gonna kill me cause I bought this for her, but she's on an alcohol free month and a detox diet so ummm, yeah, I'm drinking it

You're saving her from herself. Well done!

High praise indeed. Going to have to look for one of those.

It was a good suggestion from Chris @ Slowbeer, they were out of what I did originally order so this was recommended. And yeah, the first thing i though was "I'm doing this for her health" :lol: If she's lucky she'll still have the choc oatmeal stout in the fridge in a few weeks :unsure:

First one and it's really carbed but smells great. Taste, well I don't like the amount of carbonation first of all, mouthfeel is thin not to impressed with hop flavour either. Maybe I was expecting to much. Nice summer guzzler I suppose.

View attachment 53051

Sounds infected. I had a 4 pack of this, same symptoms, emailed the brewery and they agreed it was infected. One of the bottles was OK, 3 were all bad.

Had a 4 pack about a year ago and it was all OK.

I was going to have a Cantillon Bios tonight, but GG turned up with 2 bottles of Billy B's dark,
typing.... difficult..... enegry fading... must not drink TED..... arrgh

Cantillon tomorrow witha fresher palatte (sp)

On tap @ Murrays @ Manly yesterday

Libertine French Ale - I asked and apparently it is brewed with French saison yeast, light zest and earthy aromas, crisp and dry with a thirst quenching acidity well balanced by a moderate body absolute stunning summer quaffer.

Whale Ale - Nothing like examples i have had in the bottle, light and fresh, subdued hoppy aroma and taste, plenty of crisp and clean wheat malt, another great easy drinking ale.

Rock Around the Clock Bock - Big clean rich malty lager, way to easy to drink!

Grand Cru - A complex array of Belgian yeast phenols, rich bready malts , hops are noticeable, moderate to full body with a reasonably dry finish, at 8.8% again very easy drink and enjoy.

Spartacus - This beer is just outstanding, has to be Australia's best IIPA and at 10% it knocks you around, but the alcohol is very well hidden, by loads of big fruity NZ hop aroma and palate wrecking flavour, so well balanced by huge rich caramel malts.
I had this on tap and hand pump and i have to say i preferred the hand pump, less carbonation, smoother and creamier mouth feel, really let the aromas and flavours shine through the whole glass, where as half way through the tap version the resinous bitterness took over.

Heart of Darkness Oak Aged (bottle) - This was the best of the lot for me and i rate it as one of the best beers i have ever had the pleasure of consuming.
So complex , very rich and smooth, loads of chocolate on the nose, hints of sweet woody /earthy / spicy tones - i assume the oak and the Belgian yeast phenols mixing in perfect harmony. Again a big beer at 9.6% and the only place you notice it is in your head, i cant believe how well balanced this beer is, if i could brew something half as good i would be a happy camper.

I encourage anyone who hasn't visited murrays at manly to do yourself a favour and head down there, so fresh so tasty absolutely faultless beers and all the staff seem to be well educated - have actually been involved in a brewing session at some stage so they have an understanding of the process.

Nogne-0 Imperial Stout. Huge roasty notes that start acrid in your mouth but melt away to leave a mouthfeel that is very smooth and silky. There is a considerable hop bitterness, and whilst they are american hops do not come across as such, which matches the beer well a long lasting warming alcohol note is a long reminder of how great this beer is.

Green Flash Double Stout
another stong stout in the similar mould to the nogne0. less roasty flavours, but higher in chocolate notes. there is an interesting finish on the beer of cherry juice. a very nice beer

DSC01690.JPG

DSC01636.JPG

Just got back from Plonk at the Fyshwick Markets...

The SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale, despite being 2011, is damn fine. I was expecting more of a brown ale but its an IPA - a glass of fresh american hops with great fruity aroma, solid but smooth enduring bitterness and a nice malty finish - great head is lacing around the glass as it goes down. Hmmm... might have to grab a couple more of these.

White Shield IPA is next....

I had a dundee last night too. Gets shit reviews at beer advocate due to not having enough hops but I think people expect a US beer called IPA to be an AIPA whereas this seems more UK IPA.

Anyway forgetting styles and expectations for a bit (would be great if beer nerds could do that more often) I enjoyed the beer and would drink again. Lucky since I bought two bottles.

@mje: next time you are in Mexico, let me know and we'll go out for fajitas.

Haha no worries mate. I could happily live down there if i needed to.

Keeping On Topic, drinking Stone and Wood pacific ale. Loved it on tap. Pretty good out of the bottle too. No chance it'll ever get on tap locally, which is a damn shame. Went out for dinner with the family last night. Was so pissed off the best beer i could get was blonde, which isnt even a good beer, just the best of a bad bunch. After drinking a few homebrewed lagers it was cats piss :(. I left 3/4 of it in the glass

Nogne-0 Imperial Stout. Huge roasty notes that start acrid in your mouth but melt away to leave a mouthfeel that is very smooth and silky. There is a considerable hop bitterness, and whilst they are american hops do not come across as such, which matches the beer well a long lasting warming alcohol note is a long reminder of how great this beer is.

Green Flash Double Stout
another stong stout in the similar mould to the nogne0. less roasty flavours, but higher in chocolate notes. there is an interesting finish on the beer of cherry juice. a very nice beer

That Norgne-o impy is lurverly, I need to grab some more bottles, will have to give the Green Flash DS a go as well (and a few more Dark Force while I'm at it).
More raffle wins at BABBs ;)

Saison de Pipaix from the recent haul from the Belgian Shop deal.
A saison with dried peel, anise, ginger, pepper.

I could only get these in a 4 so even though I was sharing my order I decided to get the 4 and take all these for myself.
Glad I did because I really enjoyed this beer.

No dominant spice but all blended beautifully. Very easy to drink.

View attachment 53146

Birthday today so thought I'd have a reasonably good beer. Mrs argon says she could drink that... That is after refusing every other beer I've ever given her.

Complex and sweet toffee dominate, boozy and rich loving it.
579d53e2.jpg

Birthday today so thought I'd have a reasonably good beer. Mrs argon says she could drink that... That is after refusing every other beer I've ever given her.

Good one. My wife thought this one was as 'beery' (=undrinkable) as all the other beers I'm trying to feed her, the only one she ever really liked was the lindemann kriek.

Good to see your glasses survived. Mine didn't. Enjoy your VB.

Whoa, just whoa. Not sure I can even finish this. I keep taking more sips to find out though so maybe, just maybe

ab44ed7b.jpg
So i'm braving one of these as we speak...

Just to set the scene, last year I actually brewed a beer out of 80% Peated malt, and Eis'd (freeze concerntrated) it. It is still not remotely as peaty as this.
I'm yet to come across an Islay single malt that is more intense than this!
Certainly a sipper, just screams burnt rubber and gunpowder, but is so complex and just hangs around. Not the kinda beer you wanna drink around other people, but **** me, it's interesting!

fullers_golden_pride.jpg

trappistes-rochefort-10.jpg

Both of these beers are pretty damn phenomenal. The Trappistes I would only have for an occasion, but i'm going to make Fullers a regular. Maybe not the Golden Pride all the time as its pricey, but the ESB is a damn fine beer also, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back