Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where do you guys get all these fancy beers?
i can only find a limited amount at dam surfies.
Mine are from Next Door Cellar at Archive in West End.
Worth a trip up...
Dan Murphies don't look after their beers that well, although they do have some decent beers, so worth a bit of an excursion...

Beer deluxe just got the green flash range and bear republic range in but also told me they will have it on tap in a few months (don't know which one) so between that and upcoming bjcp study group I reckon I'll wait (green flash or Bear might be summoned for our AIPA and IIPA sessions thanks to purvis)

Skunkworks cognac barrel aged double IPA by moondog.

sour/lambic double IPA basically and its highly carbed and cloudy. tastes very very good if you enjoy IPA and lambics

(iphone cam, deal with it)

skunk_works.JPG

Beer deluxe just got the green flash range and bear republic range in but also told me they will have it on tap in a few months (don't know which one) so between that and upcoming bjcp study group I reckon I'll wait (green flash or Bear might be summoned for our AIPA and IIPA sessions thanks to purvis)
I reckon green flash double stout is great and the hop head red or whatever its called (purple label) is very nice.

I emailed Murray's with my feedback and a link to this thread so they could see the discussions. Their response was

G'day Sam,

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is worrying to hear of your recent problems with our pale ale. It is a bottle conditioned beer with live yeast, so storage conditions, heat in particular, can cause problems.

We are also looking at micro results from all batches to rule out contamination. So far our testing has shown no issues which is good, which is borne out by the 'thin and flavorless' description as opposed to undrinkably sour or other major sign of infection.

I would love to replace your beer. Can you please send your address details and I will get some out to you ASAP.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Shawn Sherlock
Head Brewer
Murray's Craft Brewing Co
3443 Nelson Bay Road
Bobs Farm NSW 2316
Ph 02 49826411
Fax 02 49826766

It's good to see they are willing to replace the beer even though the problem is most likely handling after it's left Murray's. I'll post back here with comments once they arrive and I get to try them again

I only purchased and gave feedback on one bottle of these so was surprised to have a carton (of 16) delivered by courier.

Definitely fresher than what I got from Dan's and had a pleasant but subdued NZ hop character. Unfortunately these are all overcarbed. I'm not sure if this is what they are going for but it was too spritzy for mine. There was also a 'twang', similar to the dreaded extract twang, that I couldn't quite put my finger on. All in all this was a pleasant easy drinking beer that is much better than most megaswill out there. I could drink lots of these on a hot day.

Tonight: prickly Moses Saison - Funky, subdued hops, beautiful.
Prickly Moses red ale - ok, nothing to write home about.

Last night @ taphouse: temple saison - too bitter, saison du victorien - very nice, lindemans lambic berry infused secondary - very nice dessert beer.
20 beers on tap, beer fuckin heaven.

Bear Republic XP Pale
Not an in your face beer but plenty of hop flavour and a nice level of bitterness.
Very drinkable beer from a brewery I definitely rate.

View attachment 52924
I didn't know these were in the country. Everyone else is talking Racer 5, Hop Rod, Red Rocket, etc. XP is a really nice little beer. Until I had the Racer X (a DIPA version of Racer 5), XP was my favourite beer from this solid brewery.

Was at Mountain Goat this evening. So much SS! The Rye IPA is a pretty nice beer. They had what they had up on the board as "Mikkeller Draft Beer" - smelled gorgeous, tasted nothing but resin - which was nice for the one glass. Google is trying to tell me this beer is Draft Bear but I didn't find much in common with the beer I drank and the reviews of that beer.

Skunkworks cognac barrel aged double IPA by moondog.

sour/lambic double IPA basically and its highly carbed and cloudy. tastes very very good if you enjoy IPA and lambics

(iphone cam, deal with it)

It should have not been sour, let alone Lambic levels of sourness. As far as I am aware, it didn't have an infection, and they didn't brew it with any wild yeasts.

I had a few of those beers from Beer deluxe a few weeks ago. My personal fave was green flash IIPA. THe west coast IPA IMHO was super bitter. Take out a mortgage too haha. Will be going back there when in mexico next.

Not that exoticbut the Mad Brewers hopfenweise is not bad at all and suggests that James Squire can still brew a decent beer when they want too. And its got HOPS in it (now put some BACK in the rest of the range).
hoppie.JPG
Apologies for the crap effort at colour balance, it was Friday nite and I'd been drinking.............

Yep, had the hoppy hefe last night, loved it! Big Citra and Bsaaz hit and the colour was amazing.....really enjoyed.

Enjoying this one right now. Not a bad beer at all. I'm guessing Williamette and EKG in here.

109_1451.JPG

This made me want to stab myself in the face. I think they have put vanilla in it. Blurb on the bottle says "With natural flavour".... not for me at all.

109_1455.JPG

I had a dundee last night too. Gets shit reviews at beer advocate due to not having enough hops but I think people expect a US beer called IPA to be an AIPA whereas this seems more UK IPA.

Anyway forgetting styles and expectations for a bit (would be great if beer nerds could do that more often) I enjoyed the beer and would drink again. Lucky since I bought two bottles.

@mje: next time you are in Mexico, let me know and we'll go out for fajitas.

It should have not been sour, let alone Lambic levels of sourness. As far as I am aware, it didn't have an infection, and they didn't brew it with any wild yeasts.

I tried the second batch and whilst it was certainly not sour, I actually thought I tasted some Brett C. (thats the pineappley one yes?). Might have been my tastebuds fooling me, as it was with a spicy meal, but just what I got in those circumstances. I liked it more than the first batch!

I had a dundee last night too. Gets shit reviews at beer advocate due to not having enough hops but I think people expect a US beer called IPA to be an AIPA whereas this seems more UK IPA.

Anyway forgetting styles and expectations for a bit (would be great if beer nerds could do that more often) I enjoyed the beer and would drink again. Lucky since I bought two bottles.

@mje: next time you are in Mexico, let me know and we'll go out for fajitas.

I agree with you, Manticle. I'll never complain if someone throws extra hops at an IPA, but I found this to be well balanced. At $12.50 a sixer, I'm not complaining about this one ;)

I agree with you, Manticle. I'll never complain if someone throws extra hops at an IPA, but I found this to be well balanced. At $12.50 a sixer, I'm not complaining about this one ;)

Sounds good, i saw these tonight at local wools licka and was not sure what to make of them, a few others there as well. I will stay away from that 9 thing by the sounds.
But yeah the price is definitely right that's for sure.

I had Dundee tonight too. If I remember correctly, the label talks about it being more of a UK style IPA. I could check, but you know, it is all the way over there...

I found it to be just a bigger version of the beers that make me want to brew my own instead.

Great Divide Yeti, just as good I remebered. Did a clone back in september (small 12l batch) wich tasted almost as good as the original, just not that much hop aroma.

Had a bit of a mixed bag this weekend...
First:
IMG_0124.JPG
Wasn't really impressed. In fact back in my days of K+K I am pretty sure I made several brews that tasted much like this.

So then I compared it to the real thing...
IMG_0127.JPG
Hmm, so this is what carbonated Robitussen tastes like then?
Not sure what causes beer to taste "medicinal", but whatever it is, this beer had it in spades. Down the sink it went...

On a bright note I finally tried the Mad Brewers Hoppy Heffe and really enjoyed it.

IMG_1141.jpg

HOPS. Piney and resiny.

IMG_1140.jpg

Nice english malt character. Best English IPA I've had.

IMG_1139.jpg

My idea of a lager. Big in hops, good malt backbone.

Matsos Pearler Pale
Decent pale ale, while being nothing to write home about. Went down a treat on a muggy Brisbane afternoon

View attachment 52977

Green Flash Belgian Pale
This was very nice beer. Spicy aroma, some nice malt aspects. I didn't get a strong brett to the flavour or finish so perhaps this one was relatively fresh by Brett beer standards, at least as an import from the US to here can be.
Be curious to try a few of these over a year or so. Initially I was mostly thinking that they were much better at hoppier beers but I got more from the beer as I went on.

View attachment 52984

Back