Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies. I was completely unaware that another shipment had come through recently. Kinda pissed it got under my radar - not because I wanted one but, you know, it just stings I didn't know.

I assure you that I am very much aware of this. You speak - I listen. Even when you're talking BIAB (which I don't do). I was even considering seeking out your personal opinion on a separate matter but I'm guessing I've inadvertently burned that bridge. Sorry once again.

If you're interested, more stuff came in too. Stone ruination, ipa, porter, pale ale, levitation oaked AB. Dogfish midas touch and palo santo.... Also bigfoot from sierra nevada.

Had all of those in the States bar the Stone porter and I have to say the Bigfoot and Santo Palo were the only ones of that list I didn't think was a dud (all bottled, so, you know...).

Midas Touch is an absolute dog. Is it even beer? Can't taste malt, can't taste hops. Not beer.

Thanks for the heads up though, will get out and chase up the Stone porter and a "local" Bigfoot to see how it compares.

[EDIT: typography]

Didn't even like the stone IPA? That would have to be my favourite IPA, though I haven't tried a whole heap of good american IPA's....

...I hate to do this. I honestly do.

Before I went there on this last trip (my most recent since I began brewing) I thought APAs and AIPAs were my favourite styles. I got there and tried a metric shedload of beers and realised I didn't even understand the styles before. Seriously, Australian brewers are doing these beers wrong and the American versions do not travel well. These styles are immensely more complex than they are presented to us here and I can't stand being home. **** you, Mum, I'm moving there. (Not really, a social framework is far more important than beer.)

I guess my words were pretty harsh above. "Dud" is not fair in all instances but they are certainly not as good as many of their contemporaries that do not get the light of day here.

I know from someone who's had them there that at the least, the sierra nevada IPA's taste almost exactly the same here as they do back in America. That being said, I certainly agree with the fact that Australian brewers do these beers wrong - and some of the beers from the US dont seem to have traveled well based on flavour.

I guess I'll only know for certain when I go over there next year.

Based purely on my experience, which is entirely subjective, the Torpedo is better here (old and weathered) than it is there (young and full of life). I found it to be slightly rough in bitterness and OTT in crystal there. It hurts me to say that because Torpedo was pretty much the pinnacle of my clone list prior to my trip there.

InnesGunnRumbeer.jpg

Tony, where did you get that thistle glass?
The best I can do is Ebay UK but it works out fairly costly.

A pint of Sharp's Doom Bar at my local on Tuesday night. Didn't quite have the same edge to it as when I was there last time, but I imagine they have not got any new kegs in. Still, a nice drop. Fruitiness and caramel. Easy drinking.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='641576' date='Jun 10 2010, 11:08 AM']A pint of Sharp's Doom Bar at my local on Tuesday night. Didn't quite have the same edge to it as when I was there last time, but I imagine they have not got any new kegs in. Still, a nice drop. Fruitiness and caramel. Easy drinking.[/quote]
It's available in Australia off tap?
I tried this in the UK off cask, quite enjoyable. Didn't realise you could get it down here.

I think it was brought out for the Perth Festival, that got panned on AHB, and they didn't sell as much as they expected. I know one wholesaler only had 10% of what they provided to the festival sold, so maybe it won't run next year.

Innis & Gunn Origional.

InnesGunnOrigional1248x832.jpg

Mmmmmmm

Smells nice..... sweet and malty
Tastes nice..... malty and a bit of oak in there

But thats it........... not much more.

A nice beer but quite one dimentional......no real excitement in there.

Maybe these guys need to be a bit more FIGJAM :icon_cheers:

looking forward to two more Brew God beers tomorrow night :p

Is this one hard to come by?
It's bloody delicious.
Very warming alcohol.
Wonderful yeast flavour, spicy perhaps intense fruityness.
The malt appears toward the end, wonderful full bodied beer, perfectly balanced on the palate. Well my palate at least.
Mmm, perhaps I detect some hop flavour lingering.
Superb.

Vieielle_Cuvee.jpg

Is this one hard to come by?
It's bloody delicious.
Very warming alcohol.
Wonderful yeast flavour, spicy perhaps intense fruityness.
The malt appears toward the end, wonderful full bodied beer, perfectly balanced on the palate. Well my palate at least.
Mmm, perhaps I detect some hop flavour lingering.
Superb.

funny you should post that mate, i just finished one myself. Wasnt a great fan of it, different strokes eh?

FJ....... good find!

THat is the new style of the glass. My Brother has one like that, got it off ebay from europe. Mine is the older style one i think.

I got mine before the GFC when the aussie dollar was much weaker compared now on the Euro! Mine cost me about $4au and freight on one glass was usually around $20 to $25. Probably changed now..... havnt got a glass in ages. Should start looking again

Brew Dog Dogma.

VERY disapointed.......... even before i tasted it. I poured very low on carb...... thin head disapeared fast to nothing!
Mild aroma of earth and slightly floral hops and then deep strong honey.......... mostly honey in the aroma.
Taste.......... kind of underwelming. Maybe all their other extreme (FIGJAM) beers set me up for a fall. I think they were trying to create something other than a big hoppy beer herem by using honey, but for me...... it didnt work. The heather honey is to "meaty" and kind of conflicts with the hops. it all ends up just bitter and not much more. THe beers bitterness overwelms the lack of sweetness added by the earthy meaty honey........ it just doesnt quite work.

My first Brew dog disapointment................. it had to happen.

They are still 10 points above Rogue beers IMO!

Edit..... opps.... forgot pic

BrewDogDogma.jpg

and im enjoying this now.

and i will type the word ENJOY in capitals!

A colaboration between Brew dog and stone brewing cant be bad and the first sip had me stop and think. I swished........ collected thoughts....... swished again........... god damn! this is like 3 differnt beers at once. MASSIVE.

On the nose it smells like hardcore IPA..... big hops, citrusy and earthy, some aromas from a dark beer in there too but the hops hold them up well. It all makes an interesting aroma.
Taste is very complex. First bitter hops and rich malty sweet kind of combined. then roast malts but very subtle..... not like a stout and not chocolate. its just smooth roast. cant pick any real yeast character but i woult be suprised if its there. There is soooooo much going on it hard to catch everytnhing.

THis beer has inspired me to brew something VERY out there. Black AIPA made with a belgian yeast.......... sounds fun!

Money well spent!

Edit: Crap i did it again

BrewDogBashah_renamed_32159.jpg

Back