Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BLAAHHH dam spam, this should help.

I had this on Fathers day, bought it for myself. Another big alcohol hoppy one from the Flying Dog mob. I think this was up around 7% and 60 IBU's. Just like their Double PA, there was not a whole lot of alcohol warmth in it, well disguised by the hops no doubt. Great clean taste and nice up front bitterness from the hops that lingered nicely. I drank it with a spicey pizza and it certainly combined well.
DSC00059.JPG

A few more from the last week or so

Unibroue Quelque Chose.

Drank this both cold and hot. Cold is was sryupy, thick, with huge cherry aroma and flavour.
Heated hot to 70 degrees it developed a head, smelt of cherry and cinnamon, but did not tastes so great. It was like the alcohol was vapourising off it, and it gave off some pungent aromas. Once it cooled down to about 40 degrees it was great. more like a very rich cherry tea.

I would have this again, but would not bother heating it.

Unibroue_Quelque_Chose_Cold.JPG

Unibroue_Quelque_Chose_Hot.JPG

Couple of greats from Hunter Beer Co

The Cranky Pants IPA was a big beer at 7.5% It was richly malty and had a big bitterness to match the malt. there was a noticeable alcohol warming effect. It was missing the large hop aroma that seems to be present on most IPA's and 2IPA's Made this beer seem alot more English in its approach.

The Russian Imperial Stout was also great. Immensely drinkable. Alot of RIS's are so heavy that 150mls tires out the palate. This was a tad more restrained in all areas, but made for a thoroughly enjoyable drink from top to bottom of the bottle.

Hunter_Beer_Co___Cranky_Pants_IPA.JPG

Hunter_Beer_Co___Imperial_Stout.JPG

Matilda Bay Barking Flamingo. Despite the criticism that some have given this beer, I thought it was very enjoyable. Seems to be based around the sort of fruit beers that are being made on this forum. Light coloured and flavoured ale, low hopping and a moderate serve of raspberries. I think the combination really works. Poured with no lasting head. It was crisp and light, and the fruit flavour was evident on the nose and the palate. Does not stand up to some of the great Belgian fruit lambics that are out there, but still enjoyable nevertheless.

Murrays Anniversay Ale 1. 2006 version. Could possibly be the best Australian beer I have ever tasted. The oak and the red wine notes of this beer are really shining through. So very complex it is hard for me to describe. It just rolls in the mouth, and is so utterly delicious, I hated having to share it. Would love to know what others think about it, cause I can't imagine it could get any better than this.

Murrays_Anniversary_Ale_1.JPG

Matilda_Bay_Barking_Flamingo.JPG

What is that book you have Joshua? Is that the one that you have in lots of your pics?
By the way, we seem to have "found" the same glassware.

BLAAHHH dam spam, this should help.

I had this on Fathers day, bought it for myself. Another big alcohol hoppy one from the Flying Dog mob. I think this was up around 7% and 60 IBU's. Just like their Double PA, there was not a whole lot of alcohol warmth in it, well disguised by the hops no doubt. Great clean taste and nice up front bitterness from the hops that lingered nicely. I drank it with a spicey pizza and it certainly combined well.
View attachment 30605

I grabbed a 6er of these last week (there was no price) - i figured they were gonna cost me $35 - they were about $50!

the book is Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide Amazon Linky

Nah the glass is not a 'found' one
It is just a $1.50 stock tumbler from Ikea. No branding on it at all.
:icon_cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed a 6er of these last week (there was no price) - i figured they were gonna cost me $35 - they were about $50!
You better savour them Bulldog, or better yet invite me over for a couple!! lol

the book is Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide Amazon Linky

Nah the glass is not a 'found' one
It is just a $1.50 stock tumbler from Ikea. No branding on it at all.
:icon_cheers:
thanks for the link. Well the Grolsch and the Murrays are the same, the tumbler looks like a Hoegardden glass

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of very nice APAs to start the birthday drinks...

Flying Dog. Classic APA. Big hop nose with nice malt underneath a big hop flavour.
flyingdog.jpg

Epic Pale Ale. Can't say as I can taste all 23 hops but it's a veru nice hop driven beer all the same. Definitely has the malt hidden a bit more than the flying dog...
epic.jpg

Rogue Black Soba Ale - with roasted soba and some dark malts, and of course free range coastal water :)

Another interesting beer from Rogue. I get a slight roasted nuttiness under a smooth malty beer.
august09.jpg

Icon 2IPA, bloody big beer

ICON2IPA.jpg

Not sure what hops they use, prolly quite a few different ones, but I get alot of resiny Chinook, 12 hours later I can still taste it :icon_drool2:

My afternoon in Genova (Italy) so far....

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Looks like there is a rapidly developing beer scene here. Looking forward to next year when I move here (the only downside being that will no longer be able to brew - but then, I won't need to!).

....& knocked off this little collection during mash-in at our last brew day at the Olde Saratoga Brewery

Cheers Ross

You *******, I hate you!

You had better get some of that stuff into the shop before the end of the year!

just found myself a very old bottle of forst kronen speciale (i believe its an italian beer) and its rather nice light malt clear yellow pour. and get a little corn aroma and taste through it. am enjoying it now

One of the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale's I managed to bring back from the US.

sn_anniversy.jpg

A couple of beers from by trip to Vietnam, actually the 1st one, its from singapore (leg home). Archipelago Travellers Wheat. The text on the menu says: "A wheat beer with Asian flavours. Assam and Ginger, Lemongrass and Chinese Orange Peel in an exotic blend to seduce your tastebuds!"

Was rather tasty. Was like a run of the mill Witbier with some little tweaks here and there making to something really special. I think the lemongrass was the winner in this one. As for the Assam (Tamarind) I have no idea where that came into play as it was non detectable to me. Maybe it lent a slight sourness, either way it sure as hell wet the tastebuds!
archtravwheat.jpg

the following is the best glass of Bia Hoi - Ha Noi from (you guessed it) Hanoi! Sooo soo tasty!
biahoi.JPG

Finally a beer from the micro that i managed to partake in a brewing session at called Louisiane Brewhouse. This is their Witbier, direct from the holding tank! Noiiice!
louwitfresh.JPG

Cheers!

My girlfriend took me to the Belgian Beer Cafe for lunch and drinks for my birthday! Not cheap! But some good beers!
some pics of a few of my Birthday drinks!

click smaller images to enlarge.

P9150097.jpg

Had a recent work trip to Belgium. Stayed near Brussels. Didn't really get much of a chance to do too much tourist stuff apart from a visit to Mechelen (home of Gouden Caralus brewery). There was a reasonable choice of interesting beers at my hotel. Love the way you have a different glass for each one.

Anyway, on the way home I picked up a six pack of Westmalle dubbel/tripel with the glass. Drinking the Dubbel now.... nice!

I'm not supposed to travel for internal meetings and my customer is local... so I'm not sure I'll be back for work anytime soon, but I'll do my best to manufacture a work meeting in Belgium to re-visit!

Andrei

Back