Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On cup day I drank a Cantillion Rose de Gambrinus and A Cantillion Gueuze -

OMFG - I think I grew extra hair on my testes

On cup day I drank a Cantillion Rose de Gambrinus and A Cantillion Gueuze -

OMFG - I think I grew extra hair on my testes
Have a bottle of each in the cellar that i've been so so tempted to crack...you may have twisted my arm a bit! :icon_drool2:

TB............. you cant tell us that and not produce either a picture of it or a good description of the beer!

Thats cruel

Like me saying.............. I drove a F355 GTS F1 Ferarri today........ it was fun.

leaves you wondering doesnt it :)

Was it really sour? What were the flavours like.

I have a bottle of the cherry one aging a bit. Thinking of cracking it around xmas some time perhaps

cheers

Cracked a bottle of St Bernadus Abt 12 the other day, couldn't stand just to look at the bottle sitting there anymore :rolleyes: .

Wow, was blown away by the complexity of the aromas and flavours in the beer, loved the creamy smooth finish as well.

A sensational beer to celebrate number 500...

Tonite I had a bottle of White Shield IPA, quite enjoyed this one, much more malt driven than the last few IPA's I've tried, dry bitter finish.

TB............. you cant tell us that and not produce either a picture of it or a good description of the beer!

Thats cruel

Like me saying.............. I drove a F355 GTS F1 Ferarri today........ it was fun.

leaves you wondering doesnt it :)

Was it really sour? What were the flavours like.

I have a bottle of the cherry one aging a bit. Thinking of cracking it around xmas some time perhaps

cheers

OK, sorry. No pictures I'm afraid.

But -

The Rose de Gambrinus was intensely sour, but the sourness was pretty clean and driven by lactic acid. A delicious fresh raspberry flavour with a bitterness and nuttiness that was obviously from the raspberry seeds themselves. A quite strong funk added complexity with some fairly serious Brett action of the farmyard variety. A lovely drinking beer.

The Gueuze... might have been a bit much for me. It was SOUR ... very very sour. This time not just lactic, but a goodly whack of vinegar/acetic as well, which pushed it a little too far in the face puckering direction. Lots of complex Brett with floral notes and barnyard earthiness. Wheaty kind of malt tucked away under it all. And the oak character from the aging in wine barrels was very apparent once you got through the sourness. When I served it, it was probably a little too cold and that made it kind of harsh... when it had warmed up some it was much nicer. 12-15C is what it says on the bottle and you need to take notice of it. I liked it, but the acetic character meant that I would probably only have one.

I will definitely buy more of the Rose de Gambrinus to use as a bubbly substitute on special occasions - and the gueuze I will buy a few bottles of for when I have a craving for ultra sour beer. They were great, but challenging. A must try, but not your everyday drinking beer in my book.

and my testes needed a trim afterwards....

TB

PB070007.JPG

Someone had to...

:icon_drool2:

I could be walking around like a half shut pocket knife for days...

55_left.jpg

tried this over the weekend, great example, there's gotta be some simcoe in there, and i wont be told otherwise, nice and complex in the malt department wich was a pleasent change for an APA, but not as malty as it was grainy.

Apparently, it has 5 types of grain and 5 types of hops.

Where did you get hold of the stout boys?

This was the first beer I'd tried from them. While it was a sweetish sort of brew, I didn't find it overpoweringly cloying. I think it helped enhance the smoothness of the flavours (not too crash hot at describing those however!) Lots of flavours all taking a backseat with none shining through in particular, if that makes sense? Everything melded together well I thought

PB120002.jpg

I've read about this beer for years, so when I found a bottle I quickly snapped it up. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I know that the beer is young, but it's pretty harsh - like a doppelbock crossed with a tripel. Lots of higher alcohols - way more than the modest 14% ABV would suggest (to me, anyway). Quite sickly sweet too. Kind of like pouring a shot of vodka into a doppelbock. Not that I've done that; it's just the closest thing that comes to mind.

I've read about this beer for years, so when I found a bottle I quickly snapped it up. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I know that the beer is young, but it's pretty harsh - like a doppelbock crossed with a tripel. Lots of higher alcohols - way more than the modest 14% ABV would suggest (to me, anyway). Quite sickly sweet too. Kind of like pouring a shot of vodka into a doppelbock. Not that I've done that; it's just the closest thing that comes to mind.
I tried this many years ago know and was also disappointed after hearing a lot of good reports.
I put mine down to being too old or improperly stored. Not only did mine taste every inch of its 14% but it was also fairly flat. At the time I remember noting it tasted like a cross between vegemite and flat coke...
I didn't like it.
I did have an awful lot to drink that day as it was a pub that not only had its own range on tap but a good selection of belgian and other european beers in bottles but this beer still stood out in my memory even 8 years later...

Bavaria Dutch Lager $10.00 for 3 tallies on special at Liquorland.

Quite nice for the price.

Can't recall ever having a commercial Kolsch before:

20081107reissdorfkolsch.jpg

Standard Euro skunk smell, but the taste was entirely new to my palate.

gallery_2743_249_178731.jpg

Shared this cache with a neighbour up the road. We started off with the Westvleteren blond (bottle on the right + clones) before heading into APA, IPA, 2IPA territory.

Found the 3 Ravens to be very full bodied and malty with not much hop showing through. The Beast was very malt driven. The Hopinator had great colour and some hidden bitterness, but ultimately didn't live up to the 2IPA label due to malt/golden syrup taste/aroma. Murrays 2IPA had a fair whack of hops whilst still having a malt presence. Murrays was definitely the pick of the crowd.

Where do most people get all these foreign beers from? Most bottlos I go to only have a select few available.

Latest posts

Back