Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danwood said:
Not much change from $100 there, mate !

That middle one sounded good in the Purvis email (I think). Belgian Rye Quad Barrely something something wasn't it ?
They have the 2013 Tripl and the 2014 Quad. That's the 2013. Both 10%, both bourbon barrel aged. Good? Yep. I liked it a lot. Yob not as much. He wanted more hops ;) It wasn't as balanced as the SN Ovila Plum Quad. If you're into your Belgians you'll like it I think. Honey, caramel, whiskey, biscuity goodness.

That represents about three weeks of buying, but you aren't wrong about them being expensive. Roughly $70 for the five. The one on the far right, the Nebuchadnezzar is one hunk of brett IPA awesomeness.

i did share them with my manservant though. Well, Yob actually, who is no one's servant.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462163432.616102.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462163450.101026.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462163470.249923.jpg

All very good...

Found this in my local Dms in the fridge, i almost missed it thinking it was kellerweis and oddly it isn't yet listed online. It sure is different to what im used to getting from SN, medium bodied, quite tart and very fizzy, I think I'd enjoy this much more on a hot day than now.

12407666_538343889673506_604904087_n.jpg

so was my birthday tuesday

started with one of my usual faves riverside 777 IMG_4212.JPG . love this beer . drink probably 2 a week

also grabbed a 6 pack of this IMG_4196.JPG
really good IPA . one of the best I've had from a bottle . dogfish head may just pip it but its up there. diditn get through all 6 after the longneck of 777 but gave it a shake

Pintail Ale from Karl Strauss, San Diego CA

Pretty good, slight resin IPA ish pale ale, alot of late hops with chinook/cascade.

WP_20160506_004.jpg

The Tower 10 is hands down the best IPA available from Murphy Dans.

Wow, citrus bomb. Smells like most Stone beers, the red X gives it a much deeper malty side than their usual offerings, but I guess that's par for a red IPA.

1462527780898.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Pintail Ale from Karl Strauss, San Diego CA

Pretty good, slight resin IPA ish pale ale, alot of late hops with chinook/cascade.

attachicon.gif
WP_20160506_004.jpg

I have to disagree with you on the Pintail there, Pratty.

I bought 6 a month back while on hols in Sunshine coast. I thought they tasted unfermented...no shit, exactly like straight hopped wort !

I dunno...maybe the yeast guy was off sick on that day ?

The TWR 10 was much better, though.

Pintail Pail, my favourite commercial APA. Bear in mind I haven't had a lot, but I enjoy it and that's what it's about.

View attachment 88458

Just cracked a Coopers Selection for the first time. Not bad, has European character, but... hmm. It tastes of a well brewed beer but it lacks something. Prior to this I had a longneck of real Fosters 4.9% (seriously) and it had that classic Aussie lager flavour that has made the beer the story it is today. I prefer it to a lot of the other megaswill but it has one thing - an identity. When you're drinking it, you know it has to be cold and it's made to quench a thirst. The Coopers on the other hand tastes alright but it's like a beer without a direction. Their ales on the other hand are the opposite, they are class of their own that other breweries want to emulate but can't.

Pratty1 said:
No way in hell Big Eye and SN Torpedo, Hop Hunter and Tropical IPA give it a bigger run not that Tower 10 is bad just not quite up there with the others.

Nomad Jet Lag IPA gives all of them a good AUS example of how to do it.

Tropical_Brews said:
No way in hell Big Eye and SN Torpedo, Hop Hunter and Tropical IPA give it a bigger run not that Tower 10 is bad just not quite up there with the others.

Nomad Jet Lag IPA gives all of them a good AUS example of how to do it.
I rate the big eye second, it's a solid IPA. SN torpedo doesn't cut it and God the nomad....**** me sideways, that was terrible, what the **** is that plant other than hops they added to that beer? Crikey.

Australia is very far from the US made IPAs, I say that referring to the likes of Laguntais, Deschutes, Golden Road, Knee Deep, Adnerson valley, those guys brew that style right! And we don't even get to try beers from Alagash, Societe, 21 A, Tree House or even Russian river down under.

Stumbled upon this at Dan Murphy's last week:
Chevalier Saison - Bridge road brewers Beechworth.

Very clean light pilsner malt profile, quite tart and slightly sour. Absolutely stunning. Comes in at 6% and super refreshing.

Pity there was only one 4 pack there...

First time I've ever seen a Saison at uncle Dan's, well done Dan.

1462532899014.jpg

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ is that Fixation IPA?
Had one of those at Beer Deluxe this evening. Delightful. Played light citrus and pine with a restrained fruity finish all around the gustatory and olfactory senses. Disappeared remarkably quickly.

Also had a 4 pines ESB - definitely get this one in your face.

Ballast point big eye IPA. I almost never go into the BWS near where I do my grocery shopping, chanced in there this morning. Sixer for $13, this is one of my all time favorites so asked if they had anymore and was no more told they are clearing them out. Never to be stocked again. I didn't cry, but was far from happy.

peekaboo_jones said:
Stumbled upon this at Dan Murphy's last week:
Chevalier Saison - Bridge road brewers Beechworth.
That is a great beer. I had the good fortune to try an elderflower version of it at a degustation with the brewers last year. Even better.

Trying out the SN Beer Camp Tropical IPA. Can really taste the El Dorado, I wonder if they've started using the field distilled hop oils in beers other than hop hunter now? Certainly tastes like it to me.

1462611726763.jpg

Needed a beer.
1462876392724.jpg
Tastes alittle stronger than my house stout and still nice and smooth. Makes me want to brew another RIS.

Latest posts

Back