Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hell why not 2?
1462879185437.jpg
Not sure I'll try to emulate this one but then again I'm sure I drank these 2 in the wrong order. Not a bad drop really.

Found myself in the Old Dart for a week.

Decided I would take myself for a little tube ride, and ended up at this place.

yWfmnZ6.jpg

The Dead Pony Club was okay, pretty damn tasty for a 3.8%'er, but the Jet Black Heart milk stout was awesome. Really balanced, with a big whack of chocolate and coffee aromas.

Bridge Road Little Bling IPA from Dan's

Not bad at all for a mid strength IPA nice aroma can tell it is lacking a bit but O.K. I prefer the stronger IPAs personally.

Got some Hatlifter Stout while I was there and the usual Vale IPA members special.

littlebling-ipa.png

IMG_2238.JPG

This one is from Denmark.

Quite a pleasant drink.
The label says "a laid back pale ale brewed with a punch of hops in your face".

Well, more like a gentle girlie slap than a punch.

I don't have a photo on me but my local got a batch of Deschutes Hop Henge longies
really intersting and fantastic beer .

problem is they are $21 a pop and I drank 3 over the weekend . I'll be gald when they sell out, well my wallet and wife will be anyway

I was given a bottle of the 4 pines black ipa. I was impressed clean and dark but not really dark tasting, I think there may have been some cold steeping going on, could have used a bit more hops but I'm not complaining it's a really nice beer. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463384349.828037.jpg

Fixation IPA

To be honest it was ordinary. For a seasoned IPA hophead it wasn't good enough. For those new to the craft journey might find it good or even great.

Aroma was moderate, resin very mild, very tropical. Wont be buying it again.

WP_20160518_002.jpg

Day of The Dead Double IPA - nearly 12 months since bottling and is 10 times better than the Fixation.

Solid dank aroma with hop flavour to match it an excellent American IPA.

WP_20160518_003.jpg

Ah bin on the meadz today.

Great event at Redhill with Michael Fairbrother from Moonlight Meadery, US.

30ish meads on offer to try for the $20 ticket, bargain !

image.jpg

Got my Bridge Road Brewers 'Posse' case today. First one I grabbed was their new The Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. The bottle description states:

"The Harvest has been hopped to the hilt using freshly picked hop cones straight from the nearby Rostrevor hop garden. The variety of hops are unique to the garden research block and have never before been used commercially in a beer"

They've rated it about 4/10 on the maltiness scale and 8.5/10 on the hoppiness scale, which is about right. However, there's not a lot of bitterness, but lots hop flavour and aroma. I get grapefruit, pine and a bit of mango.

Not a bad beer, but in trying to show off the hop flavour and aroma, I think they've neglected the malt backbone and bitterness. If both those aspects were dialled up a tad, it would be a great pale ale.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463654087.090595.jpg

Next beer is one of the Posse member exclusive Winter Ale. Description from the email is as follows:

"This year’s Winter Posse beer is a Coconut Stout. I was asked by a friend to brew a fruit beer a few years ago, and after confirming that coconuts are a type of fruit, created this recipe, using real coconut. There are roasty flavours that are coming from the dark malts used in the brew, and this combines well with the coconut to produce a smooth, chocolatey stout, perfect for drinking in the colder months."

That's a pretty good description. I get roasted flavours, probably more coffee than chocolate and very smooth. Very enjoyable beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463662098.353274.jpg

Stockade Brewery

Chop Shop Pale Ale

30ibu from fuggles and cascades

pilnser, Munich and crystal

Pretty decent.

WP_20160519_002.jpg

Just back from a quick visit to Potters (Hunter Beer Co), got to walk along the 10 taps having a taste here and there. The regulars were all tasting as good as ever, there is an interesting Belgian Weiss that Keith has apparently been changing every time he brews it.
3rd from the right is a hop monster, called a Really Big IPA, and I think the name only hints at the hop levels, 10% ABV, not at all cloying, well balanced and I cant see where he could have squeezed in any more hop additions, apparently it was mash hoped, first wort hoped, several kettle hops, whirlpool hoped and 3 fermenter/dry hop additions.
About the only beer it reminds me of is Green Flash Palate Wrecker, and I'm not saying that lightly. Seriously impressive.
And Keith congrats on a another AIB Gold...
Mark
Potters.jpg

It's not in the glass yet, but have shortlisted 30 of the 120 festival beers that will be on tap at GABS tonight. Also have another half dozen or so from the brewery stalls.

1 hour of work left, not that I'm clock watching!!

Next up from the Bridge Road Posse case:

The Dark Harvest:

"Bridge Road Brewers together with gypsy brewer Mikkel Borg Bjers of Mikkeller, created a one off brew one Friday evening in March 2012. The result is 'The Dark Harvest'. Inspired by the timing of this collaboration, it was decided to make a dark beer, using locally grown fresh hops. Of several research hops being grown at Rostrevor Hop Garden one variety stood out for selection and was harvested just hours before being added to this beer."

Better than it's Pale namesake, but this time, unlike that beer, the late hops take too much of a back seat to the malt and early hop bitterness. At 6.6% and hoppiness rating of 9/10 I took this to be a black IPA, but it lacks the hop aroma/flavour to pull it off. Comes across more as a early hopped stout. Still enjoyable, but not what I was expecting.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463750985.837112.jpg

For a hophead IPA addict like myself, this cider really quenches the pallate.

Excellent apple aroma, a great sweet dry balance with neither forward, refreshing mouthfeel.

And for a JS beverage it rates better than there beers in my book.

WP_20160521_001.jpg

Back