Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just dropped into Foghorn
There is a really lovely Farmhouse on tap, and another bigger spiced one on the way, both made with the just finished Wyeast seasonal. Very nice drinking
Mark
IMG_20151027_1746511.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446270219.277840.jpgCavalier Baltic Porter. Found this at the local Bungendore bottle shop amongst the News and VBs. Smelled lovely on opening, really potent chocolate aroma with familiar English notes. First sip tasted alcohol-heavy (7.9% but still...) and after that seemed fairly heavy on crystal. Moderately roasty, strong, but lacking in character and chocolate for me especially considering the aroma.

I've had a nice little afternoon. Mrs is out with the son and her American friends family, trick-or-treating/begging, which I refuse to do...stupid tradition.
So, I wrought myself up a little 2 tap font from scrap copper and a couple of fittings. Maybe I'll put a centre tap in in the future, don't know yet.
Very happy with it. I'll let it tarnish now I've taken off the pipe markings with P1200 paper. Should look great covered with beaded condensation.
Anyway, the beer which fuelled me during this was Bridge Rd Little Bling.
Another very tasty mid, similar to the SW Garden Ale.
I still don't agree with it being called an IPA, cos it's just not. It's a pale, but it's a nice one.
Citrus/slight pine in this one and more crystal flavour, as opposed to peach in the SW.
Cheers

Ed-Stupid, beautiful picture was too big to attach originally.

image.jpg

It's going to be home to those Perlicks you did a bulk buy for, Bridges. Do you remember ? Think back, it was quite a while ago !

I do indeed, I still haven't found a home for mine either!

MHB said:
Just dropped into Foghorn
There is a really lovely Farmhouse on tap, and another bigger spiced one on the way, both made with the just finished Wyeast seasonal. Very nice drinking
Mark
I enjoyed one there about a week ago. Fruity, and brings da funk.

Pratty1 said:
Tooheys Old and a Bulmers Pear Cider.

attachicon.gif
WP_20151031_001.jpg
Ah, classic pearing.

TheWiggman said:
Cavalier Baltic Porter. Found this at the local Bungendore bottle shop amongst the News and VBs. Smelled lovely on opening, really potent chocolate aroma with familiar English notes. First sip tasted alcohol-heavy (7.9% but still...) and after that seemed fairly heavy on crystal. Moderately roasty, strong, but lacking in character and chocolate for me especially considering the aroma.

Yesterday, went to Murray's and tasted a Baltic Porter, after buying myself a growler of their Grand Cru, for home. Their Baltic was 6.5%, roasty, slightly burnt, but very drinkable. Not a lot of caramel, to my tastes, and low on hop characterMurray's beer 31-10-15.jpgView attachment 84413 View attachment 84414porter2.jpg

Danwood said:
Anyway, the beer which fuelled me during this was Bridge Rd Little Bling.
Another very tasty mid, similar to the SW Garden Ale.
I still don't agree with it being called an IPA, cos it's just not. It's a pale, but it's a nice one.
Citrus/slight pine in this one and more crystal flavour, as opposed to peach in the SW.
I read that the Bling Bling (IIPA) was a literal doubling of ingredients of their Bling IPA. It's possible that the Little Bling is just a halving of ingredients. along the same vein.

That definately sounds plausible, The (if I may call you The?)

I'm having a nice,dank,citrusy session tonight.

Group photo...everyone say 'Hopppps' !

image.jpg

Heads up for anyone that wants a Sierra Nevada Spiegelau glass, i found a heap of these packs in my local Dan Murphies, $24.95 for the 3 beers and the glass aint too bad.
970320_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569855122257.png

My wife was was bored this morning, so I said "have you been to Bright? Let's go for a day trip there". 5 mins of iPadding later my plot was foiled as she realised a brewery was there.
Nevertheless we made it. Tasting paddle:

PB078962.jpg

Lager: a bit typical of lagers at Aussie craft breweries. Not bad, not great, if anything a little too hoppy for a lager in my mind. I would go a CUB offering over this after a long slog on the lawnmower.
Amber ale: Very enjoyable. Has an English edge which is refreshing over all the American options and would definitely be my choice of the 6 should I go for another. In fact the more I think about it, the more I liked it. Recommended.
Pale ale: Did someone say lawn clippings? Sorry, it has Galaxy written all over it and doesn't suit my palate. Quite hoppy for an APA without being bitter.
Witbier: Don't take my advice on this. Tasted like plastic in a glass which is all wheat beers to me.
Porter: Decent porter. Easy on the hops and a moderate balance of roast and bitterness. Unusually, I could taste the alcohol but only came in at 5.7%. Which is par for a porter, don't get me wrong, but had a bit of 'hotness'.
Dubbel: Very keen for an Aussie brewery to take this on. While a decent drop in its own right, it's a big ask to hit the Belgian character one might expect out of a Dubbel. Not a bad effort, but still lacks that wow factor that a Chimay or Leffe or any good Belgian has. I wouldn't go back for the price.

Now being at a craft brewery I couldn't turn down the RIS. Here it is, the big 16% Stubborn Russian 2015

PB078965.jpg

Now we're talking. Thick, velvety and with a distinct hit of chilli on every sip. Yep, chilli. There's no mention of it on the write up but if ever I've tasted chilli in a glass this is it. And I love chilli. It's a sipper for sure but it wasn't overpowered by the alcohol and roast. Each hit had the blend of coffee, roast, chilli and chocolate in the background without the capsaicin bite that you might expect. Not a drop for everyone, but definitely something to be appreciated. The long lasting brown lace of head was very impressive for a beer this big.

Latest posts

Back