Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moo Brew Belgo.

Unpalatable yuck. Am I really unsophisticated and missing something here? The website says a Belgian pale ale with an APA hopping regime. What I taste is astringency, a harsh bitterness that reminds me of galaxy and a god awful yeastiness. Maybe the four pack was badly stored. If I was given this in a case swap I would think it was a K+K brew fermented with s04 at 28c or something.

Anyone else had experience with this beer and is able to enlighten me as to how I should appreciate this beer?

Cape cyan natural blonde.

Cheap as shit aldi product that a mate brought over. Would stand it's ground against any other flavorless quencher imo. Not nice, not offensive.

Nottingham greatness mm mmmmmm image.jpg

Lecterfan said:
Moo Brew Belgo.
Unpalatable yuck. Am I really unsophisticated and missing something here? [...]
Anyone else had experience with this beer and is able to enlighten me as to how I should appreciate this beer?
I've had it once or twice in Bris (bottled) and thought it was nice enough but fairly inoffensive. Also I don't remember a whole lot of yeastiness. I'll try to find it on tap while I'm down here in Tas and let you know.

Cheers - the bottle-o I got it from in Ballarat is wank par excellence and is mostly a place for wines and overpriced cheese and sourdough breads. They don't treat their beers kindly. I was blown away by the fact that this actually tasted positively awful...if it was intended to be that way I would be surprised. I have literally tipped kit beers for less. I didn't finish the glass. Maybe it does't translate to bottling? Maybe it is just one of the few beers I've had that I genuinely don't like?

Going by your description it's nothing like what I tasted, but then again I have a simple, easy to please palate.

Drinking a Brew Cult Rye IPA yum. Looks like it was crowned with a homebrew capper.

Lecterfan said:
Moo Brew Belgo.

Unpalatable yuck. Am I really unsophisticated and missing something here? The website says a Belgian pale ale with an APA hopping regime. What I taste is astringency, a harsh bitterness that reminds me of galaxy and a god awful yeastiness. Maybe the four pack was badly stored. If I was given this in a case swap I would think it was a K+K brew fermented with s04 at 28c or something.

Lecterfan said:
Cheers - the bottle-o I got it from in Ballarat is wank par excellence and is mostly a place for wines and overpriced cheese and sourdough breads. They don't treat their beers kindly. I was blown away by the fact that this actually tasted positively awful...if it was intended to be that way I would be surprised. I have literally tipped kit beers for less. I didn't finish the glass. Maybe it does't translate to bottling? Maybe it is just one of the few beers I've had that I genuinely don't like?
I think my palate was either radically fucked up from previous drinks or I had a really bad bottle...I drank the rest of this 4 pack tonight, it wasn't anywhere near as offensive. Don't know which. Either way. :chug:

edit - I still don't actually like it though haha.

edit again to save another post - I agree with manticle below, I've been nonplussed with their offerings all up, and while the rest of this 4 pack wasn't as god awful as the first one, it is still not a pleasant drink to my tastes.

I tried it once at a bottle shop that look after their beers and thought it dismal. Generally like moo brew.

As in 'That was dismal but I generally like moobrew' not 'dismal - generally I find moobrew to be like that"

20140105_2200301.jpg

I came home to a GF surprise Tricerahops by Ninkasi.

The way to a man's heart is with $20 bombers.

Night shift tonight and tomorrow but this arrived today. Can't wait to try it!!

image.jpg

Attn: lecterfan & man tickle.

I've had Belgo a few times now in the bottle (down here) and found it to be inoffensive but fairly bitter, with some yeast character that I'm not familiar with how to describe.

However!

I had a glass off tap today at MONA (amazing) and it was fragrant, a light lemony hop flavour which melded into the phenolic yeast character. It seemed somehow less bitter than the bottled one I had only hours earlier. And a slightly juicy hop flavour you you get from say MG steam ale or Matilta bay IGP.
Maybe it's just not a beer that travels well, or they have bottling issues? Either way, not an incredible beer but very pleasant and not entirely boring either.

mje1980 said:
Night shift tonight and tomorrow but this arrived today. Can't wait to try it!!
Bracingly sour, and a hint of raspberry in there amongst the sourness. At first I didn't notice the raspberry, but as it's warmed a bit, it's there. I definately can't afford to drink this often haha.

I have to say I prefer the fruit sours. Not sweet at all but an extra flavour dimension. Ah Belgium, how I love thee!!

The pic didn't come with my quote. The beer is cantillon rose de gambrinus.

Liam_snorkel said:
Attn: lecterfan & man tickle. I've had Belgo a few times now in the bottle (down here) and found it to be inoffensive but fairly bitter, with some yeast character that I'm not familiar with how to describe. However! I had a glass off tap today at MONA (amazing) and it was fragrant, a light lemony hop flavour which melded into the phenolic yeast character. It seemed somehow less bitter than the bottled one I had only hours earlier. And a slightly juicy hop flavour you you get from say MG steam ale or Matilta bay IGP. Maybe it's just not a beer that travels well, or they have bottling issues? Either way, not an incredible beer but very pleasant and not entirely boring either.
Moo brew is meh in the bottle. Haven't gone to MONA, as trying to explain why there are vaginas everywhere to my kids isn't my thing.

From a Tassie resident, meh in the bottle - so must be bottling issues. Nothing offensive, but nothing great.

I'd actually write that about all beers in Tassie - especially APA - the hops are run through on stilts.

Thinking about bottling, 2 birds is another one that comes to mind. Had one of their 'single batch' beers on tap in MEL at Mrs Parmas, and I was blown away by it. But not worth buying in the bottle.

TBH - unless I can get over to Launnie (and crown cellars), the only commercial APA worth drinking is VALE/IPA. And it costs much less. I can taste hops in it.

Oh well, better get brewing.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Moo brew is meh in the bottle. Haven't gone to MONA, as trying to explain why there are vaginas everywhere to my kids isn't my thing.

From a Tassie resident, meh in the bottle - so must be bottling issues. Nothing offensive, but nothing great.

I'd actually write that about all beers in Tassie - especially APA - the hops are run through on stilts.

Thinking about bottling, 2 birds is another one that comes to mind. Had one of their 'single batch' beers on tap in MEL at Mrs Parmas, and I was blown away by it. But not worth buying in the bottle.

TBH - unless I can get over to Launnie (and crown cellars), the only commercial APA worth drinking is VALE/IPA. And it costs much less. I can taste hops in it.

Oh well, better get brewing.
The Moos I've had from tap (hefe, pale, belgo) have been lovely. Bottled, even ones I've had here in Tassie, have been mañana. MONA isn't full of vaginas, and the only area with nudity and slightly confronting stuff is marked on the map and being recommended for over 15s. There were tons of kids of all ages there when we went.

Latest posts

Back