Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tj2204 said:
Got a sixer of sculpin from Dan's but managed to swap one of them out for the last grapefruit sculpin on the shelves.

Just having a regular sculpin now. It's been nearly a year since I last had one and it is just as lovely as I remember it. Amazing hop flavour. Love it.

Can't wait to try the grapefruit.

Will do my best to ration this sixer out.
You are going to love the Grapefruit!

Aventenus

1465993975369.jpg

Who loves Dark Beer Month? This guy :super:

OK, so technically they're not in the glass yet, I'm just a little excited because I was lucky enough to win a mixed case from Murray's and it arrived today!

DBM.JPG

You won that comp, Fraser...I know who to hate now :).

In other news, Grapefruit Sculpin in my glass.

In a word, shithouse. No real aroma or flavour left, just bitterness and a weird grapefruit flavour, which becomes very evident when burped back up.

Not as intended by the brewery, obviously, just badly looked after. But I'm not sure I'd like that grapefruit thing in a fresh one either.

I might buy one bottle of normal Sculpin just to try, but I'm not optimistic.

Bought from Boxhill South Dan's, by the way.

I won a slab of S&W Garden Ale a few months back from Crafty Pint, so I can't complain.

I'd have swapped it for your prize in a heart beat, though.

Happy drinking !

Danwood said:

In a word, shithouse. No real aroma or flavour left, just bitterness and a weird grapefruit flavour, which becomes very evident when burped back up.
Shame. T'is a fine beer when fresh.

Had it off tap last last year while OS, and was even better than the normal Sculpin.

Wet and miserable tonight in Melbourne, so I'm gettin' ma stout on !

Looking forward to the Sheperd Neame Double stout especially. It's not what I'd call 'double' at 5.2%, but who am I to argue with a crew who've been brewing since 1698 ?
And by the time I'm finished with the Hawkers, I'm sure I'll take a trip(s) to the garage to have a go at my own RIS.
Saturday morning might be a little sluggish....

image.jpg

Not yet. Halfway through the Shep.

This is quite dry, ashy, burnt toasty. There's a big wallop of bitterness at the end, more than I've had in any stout before, I think. Good.

Not bad value at $7 for 500ml either. And it's a style which even Dans can't destroy through mis-handling.

*mumble...bloody Sculpin....mumble mumble.... did they transport it to Aus via mule?...mumble*

Danwood said:

Looking forward to the Sheperd Neame Double stout especially. It's not what I'd call 'double' at 5.2%, but who am I to argue with a crew who've been brewing since 1698 ?
And by the time I'm finished with the Hawkers, I'm sure I'll take a trip(s) to the garage to have a go at my own RIS.
Always is mate.

Danwood said:

Always is mate.

It's cold and miserable here also, so it was time.

Started with the Dark Knight Porter, but let's be honest, it was merely a precursor to the main event.

Wild Thing! As reported by others, it's awesome. Lots of roasted notes and big warming alcohol as was expected.

Of course, being a glutton for punishment, next was Wild Thing Coffee. Do yourself a favour, if you like Wild Thing and like coffee, get on board. It's the same beer with 1000 shots of espresso added per batch. Obviously a big coffee hit up front with the same warming alcohol behind.

Stay tuned, I may hit the Hell of the North next before falling in to bed!

Wild Thing.JPG

Wild Thing Coffee.JPG

Well, the wife is watching crappy rom-coms so it had to be done. Back to the forums and on to...

Hell of the North!!!! (Disclaimer, use of exclamation points directly proportionate to booziness)

Spicy/fruity nose, lots of dried fruit flavour, raisins, dates, hints of banana, maybe even dried apricot? Despite the high ABV, alcohol feels subdued (which isn't a bad thing), whilst still having the desired warming effect on the way down. All round, very satisfying and smooth, would match well with good cheese.

Hell of the North.JPG

Finished the Hawkers RIS a while ago.

Quite nicely balanced, but I'd like a bit more bitterness to perfectly offset the sweetness. Sweet treacle flavours mostly, and a bit of roast too. Alcohol warmth in the finish. Nice.

Onto the second pint of my own RIS (I need an RSA!). I really must get my finger out and put some into comps, if just for feedback. Others have commented it's maybe a bit too
full bodied, and I'd agree, it's not within co-eee of 'dry'. But as a 'fireside sipper' I think it has definate merit.

Danwood said:
You won that comp, Fraser...I know who to hate now :).

as mentioned above.. shame
this was available at a few places when I was in the states last month and its definitely a tasty drop

Back