Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i understand it's called blood,sweat and tears. almost 8.5% Seriously full on porter lots of black currant and berry flavours. Had to have a nap after it.
A really bloody nice beer. Not sure I got much (any) currants/berries from it though. Pretty much all I picked up was the most complex smoke character I've ever had from any beer.

[EDIT: and maybe a bit of bitter choc if I'm remembering the right beer]

I did get any real smoke form it but yeah the black currant/berries was very strong and then came a roasted flavour as it sat around and warmed up. The owner commented it started to go syrupy..

Did the thousand steps a couple of times in Ferntree Gully this morning so I thought I deserved a treat !

'Hud-a-wa'....strong, hoppy amber ale.

Nice and malty, toffee, not roasty at all, very smooth.

Strong hop presence to balance the big malts and the 6.8Abv is very well hidden.

Great beer...might follow it with the Red Rackham...can't decide if I worked that hard though ? ;)
that is a great name for a beer

I went into Dan's Coomera yesterday and they got a pretty sweet SN delivery for anyone interested. Southern Hemisphere Harvest, Porter, Stout, PA, Torpedo & Kellerweis.

Can't wait to try them :icon_drool2:

Not in the glass yet, but good times ahead in kiwi land :beer:

IMG_20121004_135630.jpg

Nice haul Florian.

Renaissance Pale, and IIPA were my go to beers when I was in NZ.
Amazing stuff

View attachment 57640

Hi Florian,

I have fond memories of the Craftsman Chocolate Stout - the one & only time I have seen this for sale was at the now closed Nectar shop at Westend.

Did you purchase your haul in NZ or find these locally?

Matt.

PICTURE - click me

Red Duck Gruiter.... freakin mouth puckeringly delicious! Best sour I've had in a long time.

Carbonation is low which I like for a sour. First sip is slight blackcurrant/grape then BAM a whole lot of mouth pucker and then finally when that dies down you're left with a nice oakiness on the back of the palate.

If you can find it... jump on it!

PICTURE - click me

Red Duck Gruiter.... freakin mouth puckeringly delicious! Best sour I've had in a long time.

Carbonation is low which I like for a sour. First sip is slight blackcurrant/grape then BAM a whole lot of mouth pucker and then finally when that dies down you're left with a nice oakiness on the back of the palate.

If you can find it... jump on it!

the red duck ra 2 is also supurb. its good to see an aussie brewery really embracing sour beers and doing it well.

View attachment 57640

Nice haul (both pics)...

Last bottle I had of Craftsman was average to say the least, so hopefully it is a one off as it is a great beer...good to see the enlightenment range starting to come out...had a few pints of Black the RIPA when it was first released and really enjoyed it. Three Boys Oyster Stout is a winner and if you havent had Rex yet, its an experience!

Too lazy to upload photo plus sure everyone's seen it before.
Sierra Nevada- southern harvest ale longneck $10 at the bws in pymble.
Perfect Friday arvo beer for the trip back to the coast after a hard days work.

Steigl Weisse by auvortex, on Flickr

BWS Special :D Glass wasn't washed so I had to use my Weihenstephan glass. Austrian beer in a German glass :)
A great Hefeweizen. Really enjoyed it.

What's the go with that pourer on it? Ours was just the plain keg, and the carbonation was all wrong..

Got back from two weeks in New Zealand. Hardly scraped the surface of the beers available. To put it in context, one of their supermarket chains called New World stocks heaps of craft beer, the Wellington store had an entire aisle of craft beer including exotic stuff like Rodenbach Vintage, lucrative lambics and all sorts of NZ stuff you just don't see in Aus.

file-7.jpg

A classic. Even better when you buy it from a supermarket for $5AU a bottle!

file-8.jpg

Started too cold but man it got much better once it warmed up.

file-9.jpg

Girl beer. Very mild compared to Cantillon but fantastic. Was a shame not to be able to utilise the dregs.

file-10.jpg

Almost impossible to find in Aus. Fantastic beer, very east-coasty with plenty of caramel malt to balance the hop load.

file-11.jpg

One of the 8 Wired's I hadn't had. Sublime, different to Evil Twin but in the same vein.

file-12.jpg

Perfect for the cold weather in Franz Josef. Like drinking a normal porter in front of an open fire.

file-13.jpg

If this is all Waimea this hop is going to be a HIT with homebrewers, hopefully it doesn't get all gobbled up like Riwaka.

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

Completely organic IPA. Had a mild floral note I hadn't experienced in an IPA before, was very well put together, sublime balance and unique.

file-16.jpg

I'd call this a stout. A very good one.

file-17.jpg

Really nice porter, touch heavy in the caramel though which makes it a long beer to get through.

file-18.jpg

Liberty Yakima Monster. Hop bomb! Nice clean glass! This beer helped clean the beer for the next beer though....

file-19.jpg

I really think that Soren @ 8 Wired can't make a bad beer.

file-20.jpg

Rubbish. I try to avoid Monteith's usually, this was basically a complete opposite of what they write on the label. Bland. Might as well be an aussie macro.

file-21.jpg

Yeastie Boys Hud-a-wa on handpump in Pomeroy's. Wow.

file-22.jpg

file-23.jpg

Some porter that I can't remember the name of out of a beer engine in a bus at Smash Palace.

file-24.jpg

Not as good as I remembered. Still great though.

schweet as man, i lurv mini kegs :icon_drool2: where'd ya get this lil beaut ??
Dan Murphys. $46.99 They now have Lowenbrau in stock and it's only $31.99 a keg!

What's the go with that pourer on it? Ours was just the plain keg, and the carbonation was all wrong..

The tap was a recent acquisition from ebay Beer King Regulator/Tap
Having a few issues dialing it in, but it's a pretty cool toy.

Back