Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a pizza and visited the Cellarbrations (soon to be Liquor Barons) next door and got a case of Hoegaarden for $50 next door, I thought it was parallel but the label starts with Australia and SA botle refund. Either way it is best before March 2012 and tasting great.

Had a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA earlier this evening.

I really enjoyed this beer. Hoppy, sweet, fruity. Very well balanced beer. No savage lingering bitterness. A well made ale. I would definitely have again.

Wasn't taking a swing at Mildura Brewery, more wondering why DM is selling beer that is more than a year past it's best before date?

No no... don't be confused... non-existent hop aroma is normal for this beer. use by date has nothing to do about it.

...grumble grumble... why can't mildura brewery make decent beer?... grumble grumble....
[EDIT: Before this gets out of hand - all I'm saying is that Dan treats their beer like shit and many breweries get a raw deal because of it - and I suspect Mildura is one of them. For the longest time I didn't understand why people gave Holgate (for example, I could have picked any number of breweries) so much credit and then I bought some of their beers from other retailers. There are problems somewhere along DM's supply chain - bottle don't always leave the store in the condition they left the brewery.]

Wasn't taking a swing at Mildura Brewery, more wondering why DM is selling beer that is more than a year past it's best before date?

Because they don't give a shit, they don't have any real appreciation for the beer, what has gone into it - the brewers time, skill and $.
They just want to make a buck, as do most of the people working there.

My only choice for different beer is dans, i check every beer i consider buying for a date, if its close to it BBD i don't bother.
I often create a little collection of beers i find at my local dans while im there that are out of date by 2 - 6 months.
Then point them out to one of the workers that scoot around the place, they don't seem to really care at all.

yeah I hadn't even thought about the BB date, only checked on the bottle after I noticed the beer had zero aroma.
mind you, the date was very hard to read tiny black print on the bottle itself, the first two bottles I looked at were smudged beyond legibility. We can hardly expect the staff to squint at every bottle to check, let alone the punters.
If the brewery had put the date on a conspicuous part of the label in a larger font, this whole thing would have been avoided & I would have picked up something else.

Been a long time since I worked in retail, but I thought stock control, and things like knowing use by / best before dates was pretty basic. These days they have computers to keep track of that kind or thing!
Having said that, at my fave local bottle shop (Crown cellars) - no affilliation - just a plug for the good guys - I don't need to check best before dates. At other locals who sell imports I always check.
Anyhoo, back on topic...
BrasserieThiriezLaMaline.jpg

My first French beer, and not a bad one at that. Great head. It goes down really well, and doesn't surrender! Vive le France! :)

Tried my first Lambic today...

lambic.jpg

At least I know not to do that again.

On the other hand, this was delicious

chimaybottle.jpg

chimay.jpg

Oxfordshire ales ' pride of oxford'

world beer awards best golden ale 2009

5%

yeah..... nice
light coloured english ale nice aroma, nice body, pleasant after taste.
a good solid drop from the old blighty :chug:

View attachment 46315
crappy camera strikes again .
Nice glass northside! got one at home too! and that Hopus is a top drop :icon_chickcheers:

Last night I had a drink at the Local in St. Kilda.
At the bar I saw one guy chatting along with the upstairs barman about something or rather that was apparently delicious.
It turns out he was in Belgium last week and brought back some Westvleteren 12. For those of you who don't know what it is, refer to pages 76-84 of Brew Like A Monk (if you don't have the book, it is a worthwhile read and cheap from bookdepository.co or bookdepository.co.uk- they have different prices).

Anyway, it is brewed only half the year, sold only from the cellar door, and only on Friday afternoons.

It was delicious and a VERY rare treat. Need I say more??

I also had a Mornington IIPA. Deliciously mandarinish.

I have to say that drinkers of good beer are a pleasure o be associated with. Where else can you sit down and buy one beer, and you get to sample a dozen more. Every time I go there, people keep offering samples of what they are drinking. Such an easy crowd.

R

I keep hearing how Landlord is so great but I thought it was dull. Does buying it at Dan's have anything to do with it??

R
I'd say the quality of this beer has alot to do with its handling and storage.
I've had it a few times down here in bottle...inconsistant at best, though a couple were pretty good.
Compared to off cask in the UK, it simply doesn't compare however. And even there, some pubs are better than others for it. If you can get it fresh, its a real treat!

Tried my first Lambic today...

lambic.jpg

At least I know not to do that again.

Hey, Weatherby. Don't let that beer put you off lambic. It's not at all the same as a 'proper' lambic like Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, or Boon. Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene is actually good, but their fruit beers are super-sweet cough syrup beers which are nothing like the real thing.

Hey, Weatherby. Don't let that beer put you off lambic. It's not at all the same as a 'proper' lambic like Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, or Boon. Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene is actually good, but their fruit beers are super-sweet cough syrup beers which are nothing like the real thing.
couldnt of said it better myself stu. nothing but lolly water that one.

Pilsener Urquell in the glass Dan Murpheys had 6packs for $10.90....
......and alpha pale ale.

BrasserieThiriezLaRoughFlamande.jpg

Underwhelming.
Lots of flavours, just none that particularly appeal to me. I'm sure others will think it's great beer! Each to their own.

BisonBrewingchocolatestout.jpg

Followed by one of these. A nice chocolate stout. If I didn't know there was cocoa in there I doubt I'd notice it, not overwhelming, just adds another layer of flavour. I do like this one, and I really liked their IPA too.

from the weekend

Samuel Smith India Ale (IPA), 5%, England
Poured clear deep amber with a nice white head. good head retention for a lower carbed beer. Subtle Floral hop aroma with hints of fruit. Very smooth initial mouthfeel, finish is medium. lovely malt profile with hop hop flavour on the finish and aftertaste. Very pleasant and very very drinkable. A great change of pace in the IPA category. A bit more refined than the AIPAs. A real session beer.

I'll be another to argue this. Give *real* lambics a go- I believe that the head brewer at Cantillon isn't well liked in lambic brewing circles because he accuses most lambics- this includes Timmerman's- as not being real lambics. Hell, listen to the interview with him on The Brewing Network, you'll learn a lot about sour beer and the process to make a really good one. It seems that time is one of the biggies.

Latest posts

Back