What's Growing In My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I've had an Orval style sitting on Brett for the last four months. Just came back from holiday and it's grown something new. Anybody with Brett experience seen a pellicle like this before, or have I acquired a new bug? I'm worried because I took the bung out to taste it before Christnas.

IMG_1179.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

Hello folks,

I've had an Orval style sitting on Brett for the last four months. Just came back from holiday and it's grown something new. Anybody with Brett experience seen a pellicle like this before, or have I acquired a new bug? I'm worried because I took the bung out to taste it before Christnas.

View attachment 43114

Cheers,

Jon

I've got a couple of carpets going like that myself at the moment.

That's reassuring.

There was no pellicle before Christmas. The most it had developed was a few persistent bubbles. This one has grown up all of a sudden which is what made me think it might not be normal (as well as my removing the bung briefly.)

Cheers,

Jon

Look for images of 'brett pellicle' and I reckon you'll be even more reassured.

I admit the first one I ever got I thought might be mould. Beer still tasted OK so I persisted.

Look for images of 'brett pellicle' and I reckon you'll be even more reassured.

I admit the first one I ever got I thought might be mould. Beer still tasted OK so I persisted.

Ha - I see what you mean.

Now I've heard that you should let a pellicle drop before bottling and so on. It tasted pretty much good to go when I tried it, so I'm wandering whether I should wait, or whether I can get on and dry hop (75g NZ Styrian flowers) for a week before kegging.

Cheers,

Jon

definatly let the pellicle drop before bottling.with brett leave till its finished completely otherwise bottle bombs are garanteed. i bottled one this time last year after letting the pellicle drop and the bottles now are extremely spritzy, brett is tenacious stuff.

definatly let the pellicle drop before bottling.with brett leave till its finished completely otherwise bottle bombs are garanteed. i bottled one this time last year after letting the pellicle drop and the bottles now are extremely spritzy, brett is tenacious stuff.

I'm kegging this batch, so from the carbonation perspective it shouldn't make much difference. I hear what you're saying about bottling though - all of the brett beers I've done in the past have ended up really dry and really gassy.

Cheers,

Jon

Now I've heard that you should let a pellicle drop before bottling and so on.

Interesting question. I've also read this too.. but searching around I cannot find any evidence to back this common thought up. I've had pellicles stay in place for close to 12 months, & have read posts from Chad Yakobson (http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com) stating that pellicles will stay in place indefinately & only drop due to external vibrations - the beer is ready to bottle when it tastes ready to bottle (& is down to a low enough FG to prevent bottle bombs of course). From all reports your previous batches of this beer have been outstanding - I'd just go with what you have been doing in the past... oh, & you should send a sample my way :p

Interesting question. I've also read this too.. but searching around I cannot find any evidence to back this common thought up. I've had pellicles stay in place for close to 12 months, & have read posts from Chad Yakobson (http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com) stating that pellicles will stay in place indefinately & only drop due to external vibrations - the beer is ready to bottle when it tastes ready to bottle (& is down to a low enough FG to prevent bottle bombs of course). From all reports your previous batches of this beer have been outstanding - I'd just go with what you have been doing in the past... oh, & you should send a sample my way :p

My process has been a little different with this batch, as my secondary is in glass rather than plastic. It's yet to be seen whether that makes any difference. Definitely up for sending a couple of bottle sized samples your way, unless you want to come and help yourself to a keg sized one ;-)

Cheers,

Jon

Latest posts

Back