What's good for cleaning a shower?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piss all over the walls.

Doesn't work but it feels good.

LC, are you the head of a doomsday cult or something?

edit: finally got round to googling LC.... impressed...

Here's a tip. Once you've removed the soap scum from the walls, to prevent it coming back don't ever use a cake of soap in the shower again. Use liquid soap instead (Aldi is cheapest).

Hard soap is solid at room temperature. So when you lather it up in warm water and splash it against the cold tiles while you're showering it sets, sticks like cement, and provides the food base for fungus to feed on.

Liquid soap is, well, liquid at room temp. So it doesn't set when it contacts the cold tiles and runs off to drain.

cc81e923ecdca7458bd661110c0c195fcd71e279f659937afd0c785d3f359283.jpg

when-in-doubt-c4-meme_79.gif

If you struggle to obtain exotic nerdy cleansers, just a regular douse with vinegar once a week, leave for a while to work it's magic and then wash off.
On a glass shower screen though, also squeegee it like a man possessed after almost every use. Sure, it's a mild PITA, but so is removing the tough crud that accumulates if you don't maintain it and it's a much bigger challenge then. You're bound to earn bulk brownie points too, although that may not matter to some.
Bleach around grey water systems is not advisable.

I haven't used soap for yonks. Your skin biome is very relieved that you aren't trying to poison it to death and reaches a good equilibrium.
A warm plain water shower 3 times a week with a good towelling does the trick.

I haven't used soap for yonks. Your skin biome is very relieved that you aren't trying to poison it to death and reaches a good equilibrium.
A warm plain water shower 3 times a week with a good towelling does the trick.

Says the smelly englishman

Here's a tip. Once you've removed the soap scum from the walls, to prevent it coming back don't ever use a cake of soap in the shower again. Use liquid soap instead (Aldi is cheapest).

Hard soap is solid at room temperature. So when you lather it up in warm water and splash it against the cold tiles while you're showering it sets, sticks like cement, and provides the food base for fungus to feed on.

Liquid soap is, well, liquid at room temp. So it doesn't set when it contacts the cold tiles and runs off to drain.

The difference is actually because soap will react with the calcium levels in typical mains water to form a highly insoluble calcium fatty acid double salt, where the detergents in the liquid soap will not. The reason for this has to do with micelle structure and ion binding so I won't bother you with it.

BTW this is also why acidic cleaners are much more effective than alkaline cleaners on soap scum: they act by removing the calcium from the double salt.

At the winery I shower in rain water with a TDS of about 6, soap scum formation is negligible.

I disagree with your fix, it adds a relative clause which should begin with a qualifier: "at the winery, where I shower...."

As Hemingway said, any comma that can be removed without altering the meaning of the sentence should be.

1/4 teaspoon of oil of clove in 1L of water.
Spray on then remove with a rolled up pair of pantyhose.
The oil of clove kills the spores preventing further growth.

I used Glitz oven cleaner to get the showers sparkling clean before we had open inspections on our old house.
Wouldn't recommend it for long term use however. Not the most user friendly method out there. But we sold the place. So the the results speak for themselves.

Latest posts

Back