What's good for cleaning a shower?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Besides a significant other...

Anyone have a special cocktail of the products us brewers use to clean the mold and mildew, soap scum and stuff?

Make a fairly most paste up using sodium percarbonate and hot water, wipe on surfaces and leave a couple of hours. Wash off, done.

Failing that, hire a cleaner.

Interesting topic
I'm gunna ask my Wife and get back to you, fingers crossed.

Shower Power, it's a citrus cleaner and works well. I use it 8n my brewery to clean stainless, removes beer stone very well. Alkaline cleaners don't dissolve beer stone only dilute it and move it around.

Actually sort of depends

Soap scum is different wherever you go due to the water and whats in it ( think brewing water analysis )

Vinegar can work if you can get it to soak

CLR also works

When I was on tank water I hardly ever got soap scum

Some nice ideas coming thru.

Kind of funny tho', bunch of grown men discussing what to use to clean of shower..

In the spirit of overkill: amidosulphonic acid, AKA sulphamic acid, which can be purchased from Redox or (sometimes) from dairy suppliers. Cleans the toughest scale very quickly. It used to be the basis of CLR but they've reformulated CLR and effed it up.

Amidosulphonic acid is also the best beer stone cleaner you ever used, especially if you add a source of alternate cations such as ferric chloride (available as PCB etchant). You need to be careful with this latter as it will heavily etch some materials like copper, hence its use for PCB fabrication.

Re the comment above: I do the shower, toilets and floors at my house as that way they get done properly.

Last edited:
Sodium percarb and very hot water.

This! Or cold too. Spray it on and let sit wet for 30min to hours.
Rub off as much as you can when you can like when you shower like a true multipurpose brewer. Repeat.

Its just one such beauty of home brewing. Realize SP is the pure cleaning active ingredient.
Even the spent stuff. I have grades at home. Pure fresh mix, 2nd, 3rd etc. Wash decking with third and a broom etc.
Nothing can get past the elbow grease of cleaning a shower though but it will be gleaming and shiny.

I should get around to doing mine.

In the spirit of overkill: amidosulphonic acid, AKA sulphamic acid, which can be purchased from Redox or (sometimes) from dairy suppliers. Cleans the toughest scale very quickly. It used to be the basis of CLR but they've reformulated CLR and effed it up.

Amidosulphonic acid is also the best beer stone cleaner you ever used, especially if you add a source of alternate cations such as ferric chloride (available as PCB etchant). You need to be careful with this latter as it will heavily etch some materials like copper, hence its use for PCB fabrication.

Re the comment above: I do the shower, toilets and floors at my house as that way they get done properly.

Used to use heaps of ferric chloride back in the day to make PCB's :)

Re - You should use something safe that wont have bad effects on anything. You or your cheap modern day surfaces .
Like Sodium Percarbonate. Your basic brewing friend.

Back