What's been your biggest beer-improver?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best improvements for me have been brought by improving my equipment to a point where it needs minimal work and cleanup, still all manual sans a pump to move things since I don't have a stand.

This lets me actually brew as often as I can manage to find time to. That was always my biggest hold up, the time it takes to brew would mean I'd not bust out the gear. Besides that, little things, a good refractometer to simplify taking readings. Graduations on the hlt sight gauge, installing a pickup on the kettle, using a temp controller to set the hlt. Basically things that simplify processes and don't add steps, that lets me add work to the wort production itself, step mash, adjust temps, stir, unstick the mash, etc. current setup is a purpose built mash pot with an insert pot that has pressed feet and holes in the bottom to act as the fb. Insanely efficient way of doing things and cleanup is a hoot.

Fermentation is still a weather thing to me, for a while I enjoyed the luxury of a ferm fridge, made it easier but quality wasn't impacted over brewing by the weather. Currently a heat belt plugged into a $15 plug n play temp controller does the job nicely.

Since my first batch, I've never used kit yeast and never had a problem. Use common sense and the manufacturer's instructions for aeration, hydration etc.

Latest posts

Back