What Yeast Comes With Morgans Blue Mtn Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformed99

Reaction score
Is it any good? The packet is quite mysterious and gives little away.

Does the packet have any coding or letters on it?

I was told it was a lager, but I have my doubts.
Still, it turned out fantastic with the Morgans Extra Pale Extract

Is it any good? The packet is quite mysterious and gives little away.

IIRC, it's a Mauri 514 strain. I've done this kit a couple of times & the supplied yeast suits it well. I think I fermented it at around 18-20 deg.

The Blue packet says " Morgan's Lager Yeast pure strain brewing yeast"

6gms net.

" Sufficient for 25 litres. Add to brew at temperature of 15C to 30C" !!! :unsure:

Looks like I have the perfect Tropical Brewing Lager yeast :ph34r: :ph34r: :p

I am doing my Blue Mtn. with US-05 due to temperatures.

Are not Lager yeasts like winemaking yeasts Bottom fermenting ?

Do you get the big krausen and crusts with bottom fermenting yeasts ?

I am doing my Blue Mtn. with US-05 due to temperatures.

Are not Lager yeasts like winemaking yeasts Bottom fermenting ?

Do you get the big krausen and crusts with bottom fermenting yeasts ?
Lager yeast are bottom fermenting but you will still get a big krausen may be not like a wheat yeast but still 50mm tall.
GB

Sorry to drag up a year-old thread!

Is the Blue Mountain Yeast typically a slow starter? I have 2 batches fermenting in the fridge at the moment. One is a Morgans QLD Bitter with US05 yeast and the other is the BML with kit yeast. I used the kit yeast as I have read good things about it and the kit. Anyway the fridge is at 20-21 degrees and the US05 Bitter kicked off quickly and has a nice big krausen. The BML has started fermenting as there is condensation and a tiny layer of frothy bubbles has just started to appear.

It was just interesting to see a US05 chewing threw quicker than a kit yeast, both at 20ish degrees. Anyone else find this as a slower starting yeast?

I recently had a similar experience with the BML using kit yeast (I also added 500g DLME, 250g Dex, 250g Corn). Only dif is I fermented at 9C. There was very little action on the western front (like you I got a tiny layer of frothy bubbles), but after about a week the SG had dropped to 1.019 and I could see a cake forming at the bottom of the fermenter so something is definitely happening.

I plan to rack to secondary on the weekend (around the 2 week mark), give it a couple of days rest a at warmer temp and then larger for 4-6 weeks at around 4C.

I've used Morgans Lager yeast (Mauribrew lager yeast) in all grain lagers and it works reasonably well, not as clean as W-34/70 etc, but a forgiving yeast that can be fermented up to ale temperatures. That's not unique for a lager yeast, Californian Steam Beer yeasts and some Euro yeasts like S-189 go ok at ale temps.

Mauri_Lager__Small_.jpg

For kit use, I reckon this yeast would 'lift' any kit compared to using the likes of Coopers ale yeast if you are making a lager type kit. I find that it gives a small krausen but as posted above, it seems to build up an impressive yeast cake during fermentation.

It's made in Toowoomba. Specs:

View attachment mauribrew_lager.pdf

Another update regarding using this kit and yeast for the first, it's taken so long to ferment out! 2 weeks now! Twice now I've had to "rouse" the wort and get the yeast to kick in again. I wasn't fermenting at really low temps either. Generally 20-22 and has now been put up to 24 to get it to finish. Seemed like a stuck ferment at 1021. I knew it wasn't done without even looking at a gravity reading as it was still too malty sweet. Tasted it this morning and tasting better and I expect it to be near FG within the next day or 2. On the other hand I have a Morgans Bitter with US05 that was pitched at the same time that's already been CC'd, polyclar'ed and ready for kegging. I am thinking it was just an older yeast packet with the BML that caused such a slow ferment?!

i to just did a bml with 250g off dlme 250g corn syrup and about 700g off dextrose its sg was 1046 its been eight days and its down to 1015 but has seemed to have stopped fermenting is the fg about right or should it finish a bit lower?

Just bottled a blue mountain lager with kit yeast.

Took 2 days to get going. I thought it was because it dropped it to around 15 degrees. warmed it to 20 after 2nd day of no action and off it went.

Hi BG,

I have used 514 once and I was VERY happy with the results. I have previously only ever used coopers yeasts, but this was something different. Produced a really clean profile etc, however this was at the same time I got to use my fermentation fridge for the first time. So I dont really know what made most of the diff, the temp control at 18deg or the yeast. Probably both.

I'd be keen to give the mauri lager yeast a go as I was so happy with the ale 514 yeast. I am using WLP830 at the moment, I assume that is a better yeast, but anyway....

rant over....no idea what my point was

I've used Morgans Lager yeast (Mauribrew lager yeast) in all grain lagers and it works reasonably well, not as clean as W-34/70 etc, but a forgiving yeast that can be fermented up to ale temperatures. That's not unique for a lager yeast, Californian Steam Beer yeasts and some Euro yeasts like S-189 go ok at ale temps.

It's made in Toowoomba. Specs:

View attachment 36432

6 grams for 23 litres is a little light on and probably the reason behind the sluggish fermentation, especially when pitched cold.
I would be using 2 packets :) :)

6 grams for 23 litres is a little light on and probably the reason behind the sluggish fermentation, especially when pitched cold.
I would be using 2 packets :) :)

Good point. But why would they pack an amount of yeasties that would result in underpitching? It is half what you would normally get with a kit can.

Well either Morgans have fucked up and not worried about telling the brewer 2 are needed or there is something we don't know about this yeast. <_< :eek:
They may assume most will pitch it at ale temps, in which case one packet should be good enough.

Back