What Yeast Comes With Morgans Blue Mtn Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a "Steam Beer" before with Weihenstephan @18-20C. It was kinda nice. Lager yeasts at ale temperatures don't spit out "bad stuff" per se as much as "stuff that shouldn't be in a lager". There's a difference.

The yeast is pretty cheap from LHBS - If I remember right it's about $2.50 a pack, so you can afford to chuck two in for the same cost as a W-34/70. My kits n bits mate up the road makes Blue Mountain all the time with one pack but ferments at about 18 degrees. Of course once you get a batch on the go you can save some yeast cake and use that for a few brews.

I used the 514 yeast for a morgan's kit & it turned out really good. Used one pack & fermented at 18-19 C, was very clear & tasted ok to me. From what I can tell, the 514 is an ale yeast, even though it's supplied with some lager kits.

I am trying the S04 yeast this time to see how it goes.

Cheers
Goldy

I had a spare pack of Morgans yeast in the fridge. On 1st April I put down a Coopers Lager with 400gm LDME, 400gm BE2, 150gm steeped Carapils at 65deg half hour, 30g Centennial at 30mins, 30g Amarillo at 5 mins in 21 litres. The weather forecast at that time predicted 5 days between 18 and 23 deg so I thought "great, I'll get this brew going asap" as I have a 60litre brew currently taking up my temp controlled fridge space.

The weather then shot up to 29 deg for 2 days! (Thanks weatherman) and I pitched the Morgans yeast at 24 deg where it sat for 2 days, the headed down to 22 degrees. Not ideal, but Im hoping it is still a fair brew.

The krausen was about 2 cm high and the airlock bubbled well for 2 days, then slowed on the 3rd day, and was almost dormant on the 4th day. I swirled the fermenter but this seemed to do little to fire up the airlock. The brew has sat at 22 deg till today when it has started bubbling again at a slow pace (one bubble every 4 to 5 minutes).

So, the Morgans yeast certainly behaves differently in my neck of the woods. I'll probably bottle on Sat or Sun.

Happy brewing,

JB

Good to hear I am not the only one. You taken any gravity readings?

In haste I skipped taking an opening gravity reading. My next brew is a Morgans blue mountain lager x 2 in 40 litres for which I plan to use Saflager 23 yeast at 12 degrees, so I will have 2 spare Morgans yeast packets to experiment with when the weather cools a little more here in SE QLD. I will use 2 packets of Morgans yeast next time with the same Coopers lager and bits and compare and contrast events.

Small things (yeast) amuse small minds. Brew well,

JB

I have done a heap of Blue Mtn Lagers & it has become one of my "always have on hand" kits.
I have also tried the morgans lager yeast in a Black Rock lager kit with Malto/Dex kilo mix + 500g of LDME.
This was the best tasting/balanced lager i have brewed.

Latest posts

Back