What Would You Do...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hewie_NZ

Reaction score
Glad to have found this forum - I'm getting lots of good info. I've used the Coopers lager with good success both with 2 cans, or just one can and 1/2 the water (funny that I thought I came up with this idea all by my self only to find many threads on exactly this here) or one can + 0.5 kg dextrose in 18 L water. I've dry hopped these with 25 g of hallertauer hops and they've been great. My question to you is what have you found works well with the Coopers real ale can ? - what hops, other fermentables, total volume etc.

Thanks for your input
Hewie (from NZ)

welcome to this forum hewie lots of good info here also u can use the seacrch on this site to find lots of good info about nearly anything brew realated plus look for the thread introduce yourself as a lot of new members do that btw why from nz are u from

I've only done the real ale kit once. From memory i used the kit, 500g light dry extract, 500g honey and a bit of fresh ginger root (was going for monteiths summer ale). will see if i've still got the notes when i get home, but this was about 4 years ago.

Ps good to have anothe kiwi on here :party:

Hewie I use coopers real ale quite a bit I regulary use
500 g dextrose
500 g malt
that seams to be a reasonable beer although in the last couple of brews i have tried either liquid malt and dry malt and the last one i used
500g dextrose
300g dry malt
200g corn syrup

I will be comparing these latest beers in about 6 weeks

cheers
Dirk

Hewie,

U might wanna try a basic brew booster. Say 500g dry malt extract and 500g dextrose,

And 14g Goldings pellets steeped in a coffee plunger (250 ml boiled water).

Chuck it all in with your tin contents and standard yeast. Std volume , or try 18-20 litres

Should be happy with that, for a little while anyway, until U get adventurous and acquire more brewing skills.

Cheers. Good to see U here.

Seth :p

Thanks for the welcomes and input. Looks like the general concensus is a mix of malt extract and dextrose is the way to go. I'll probably grab some goldings or fuggles hops to keep in the style of an English ale - I do find the kits I've tried so far lacking in the hop aroma department. Shunty, i think i may try something along those lines once I've done the 'standard' brew with this - maybe some ginger, honey and cinnamin ala Monteiths summer ale although I do prefer just a good clean well hopped beer.

And Jazmann I'm from Palmerston North.

Thanks,
Hewie

Hi.

I have a good brew which I have done a number of times now. Given to me by the owner of the local home brew shop. Appears to need to age for least 8 weeks. While worth ago, even my friends that say they don't like home brew drink more than a couple. Sometimes has a stong bitter after taste if you don't let it age enough.

Blue

View attachment COOPERS_SPARKLING_ALE_STYLE.doc

Thanks for that Blue. Using yeast from a commercial beer is one thing I want to investigate and play with next. I'll have to see what we have available here in in NZ. What is the total volume in your fermenter with that recipe ?.

Thanks,
Hewie

Hewie

You can get coopers sparkling here - if you can't find it in palmie, let me know and i can post one to ya

Hewie_NZ
The final Volume is 22.5 Lts. Give it a go and you will love it. don't forget to let it age a little
Blue

Hi Blue,

Another kiwi here, strangely enough.. Re: the Cooper's recipe, what do you do with the top of the 1.25l starter bottle? Guys (and Sheilas too, Reg) quite often talk about making starters etc. but don't specifically mention the, um, enclosure/vessel/container they make 'em in, pardon my awkward phrase, and how it's kept healthy. Do you screw on a cap, slip on a sanitized balloon, or just let mother nature go beserk?

Thanks in advance,

lpa

lpa said:
Hi Blue,

Another kiwi here, strangely enough.. Re: the Cooper's recipe, what do you do with the top of the 1.25l starter bottle? Guys (and Sheilas too, Reg) quite often talk about making starters etc. but don't specifically mention the, um, enclosure/vessel/container they make 'em in, pardon my awkward phrase, and how it's kept healthy. Do you screw on a cap, slip on a sanitized balloon, or just let mother nature go beserk?

Thanks in advance,

lpa
[post="101071"][/post]​

lpa,

Just use a bit of aluminium foil over the top of the bottle. Press it around the rim of the bottle top with your fingers and it's all you need to let carbon dioxide escape and nothing in. Remember that carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen. Do a search on the site for starters, making starters, etc., and you'll find a few pictures of guys who do it. FWIW here's a piccy of how I do my starters (this one's WLP300 Hefeweizen):

Misc_1_October_2005_129.jpg

If you want to use the original(sterelised) cap just push the sides of the bottle in slightly and tighten the top.As the CO2 builds up it will swell the bottle and you can just crack it slightly from time to time to let it out. I have used the oz tops lids with success as well.

Thankyou, gentlemen. May the Gods of brewing cast their benevolent gaze upon you and beam with immense solarity, before giving generous blessings!

Have a good weekend, go the cricket team, sorry for getting off-thread etc.

drill a hole in a plastic drink bottle lid, add a rubber grommet and an airlock
viola, mini fermenter for yeast starters!

Here is a link to a recipe that makes use of a Coopers Real Ale kit. It's pretty cheap to make and turns out fairly nice.

New English Ale

Hope this helps!

:beer:

tangent said:
drill a hole in a plastic drink bottle lid, add a rubber grommet and an airlock
viola, mini fermenter for yeast starters!
[post="101198"][/post]​
]
Good advice Tangent!I 've got a rubber bung that fits an airlock some where i the brew draw for long necks

G'Day IPA

Just sitting back enjoying my sparkling ale :chug: :chug: and reading some helpful hints and tips. In regards to the starter I just use a softdrink bottle. I crack it open in the morning before I go to workand again at night. Appears to work fine, see how you go.

Cheers Blue :party:

Well I just bottled my coopers real ale last night. 1 can plus 400g dextrose in 18L with 20g fuggles. Smelled and tasted ok at bottling but I was quite surprised (disappointed) how dark it is - nothing like the picture on the can label. I have got less volume so that would have contributed to this but not that much. Will have to wait for the taste test. Next time will use a coopers sparking ale yeast starter.
Thanks for the advice,
Hewie

Ive done a few Real Lales and each time I do them even with the same fermentables. Same yeast, Simular Temps SOmetime they are darker and sometimes they are lighter.. Could be due to the age of the can

Back