What To Use In Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriskane

Reaction score
hi ive posted this in the recipe discussion for the smurtos jsga but im running out of time so here it is in here.

about to throw the extract version down and was just curious as to what i should use for the 60min hop boil (ie how much extract-wheat or light lme?).

and would i be correct in assuming that i should steep the crystal and boil that for a period of time and then pour the contents into the fermenter? or pour contents into hop boil?

(ive done one extract before and a handful of kits, and i previously boiled one can of lme and did the hop boil in that, then poured the other can in the ferm)

thanks

hi ive posted this in the recipe discussion for the smurtos jsga but im running out of time so here it is in here.

about to throw the extract version down and was just curious as to what i should use for the 60min hop boil (ie how much extract-wheat or light lme?).

and would i be correct in assuming that i should steep the crystal and boil that for a period of time and then pour the contents into the fermenter? or pour contents into hop boil?

(ive done one extract before and a handful of kits, and i previously boiled one can of lme and did the hop boil in that, then poured the other can in the ferm)

thanks

What is your boil volume?

I usually boil 5L at a gravity of 1040 when doing extracts. If you post the recipe someone can probably work it out for you or I'll be back in an hour and do it if it's any help. 330g carapils and 330g DME in 5L is 1040.

Assuming you are using unhopped malt extract and you boil up 12L then use 1.5kg of LME.

Steep the cracked grain first, remove, add LME and bring to boil then follow Smurto's hop schedule. By my rough calcs you may want to drop the first addition to 10g to hit 37IBU. However I haven't brewed this beer before - must be the only one on this forum not to I reckon. :)

I usually boil 5L at a gravity of 1040 when doing extracts. If you post the recipe someone can probably work it out for you or I'll be back in an hour and do it if it's any help. 330g carapils and 330g DME in 5L is 1040.

recipe for jsga extract is:

1 can Coopers Light Malt
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
20g Amarillo @ 60
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Assuming you are using unhopped malt extract and you boil up 12L then use 1.5kg of LME.

Steep the cracked grain first, remove, add LME and bring to boil then follow Smurto's hop schedule. By my rough calcs you may want to drop the first addition to 10g to hit 37IBU. However I haven't brewed this beer before - must be the only one on this forum not to I reckon. :)

yeah that process makes more sense, thanks for that. unless someone who has brewed the extract before tells me otherwise ill probably be doing that :)

Latest posts

Back