What to use for a first timer person to drink it.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerva said:
its just were still in summer here and spring is month or so away. yep i live about an hour away from Melbourne, Australia
Bloody climate change . Up here in QLD autumn is about to start any day now. Tell me......are your curtains fading quicker with all that extra sunlight you lot get from that kooky daylight savings. :blink:

The latest version of the spread sheet is here:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/29655-kit-and-extract-beer-spreadsheet/page-26#entry990422

I'm +1 for DSGA, its a great recipe.

Start with a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit and a can of Liquid Wheat malt.

Use US-05 yeast and add whatever steeped grains take your fancy, like Light or medium crystal.

Then boil in 25g of Amarillo and/or cascade hops for 5 to 15 min.

Great beer and really easy to make.

Coopers Anniversary Ale clone ( off the Coopers website ) is also quite a nice and approachable recipe for first time drinkers.
The combination of Nelson Sauvin and Centennial hops turns out quite nice. and a handful of Goldings
doesn't hurt either.

You can double ( at least ) the amount of hops and steeped grains in their recipe and get an even better result.

Note to self : Check my bee hives. :)

With honey its a case of finding the right quantity to add of the particular honey you are using. With strong tasting honey just add less, and vice versa.

Gerva said:
Hi guys im new to home brewing ive done a few batches for myself and wondering one what i can brew for a friend as this be his first time drinking home brew beer. Im thinking of a Pale ale with good hops flavor better yeast and high in Alcohol, or either a Stout with added extra choc malt and dark malt extract and hops with it and a good yeast, any ideas what i can do for him. P.S.... i hate using coopers yeast as it leaves a apple flavor and smell.
Alot of new brewers try to go high in alcohol, you'll soon learn that high alcohol doesn't mean a nicer beer. Go too high and you'll soon get that 'alcohol' taste which can very easily overpower some otherwise-lovely hops. Finding a good balance is key mate.

Maybe look up some recipes on the database and go from there. As far as 'what a first time should drink' remember at some point alot of us hated onions, capsicums, brocoli, mushrooms or whatever but we learnt to face the fact that "this is simply what it tastes like".

Perhaps you need to put those tastebuds through some Crash Course of Beer 101 and get them to start liking whatever bloody beer you make. that way it's a Win Win :)

good luck mate

Droopy Brew said:
A quick look on the back of a bottle will tell you. For example my Woolworths select honey is 100% honey. It may not be the same honey- they often mix the cheap imported stuff ( not necessarily worse honey but cheaper as the big boys love to screw the Aussie farmers) with a certain % of Australian honey so they can market it as Australian honey but it is still 100% honey. Next time you're shopping grab 5 different honey bottles, look at the ingredients and let me know if you find any that are not pure honey.

That said there are definitely some types of honey better suited to brewing than others. Eucalyptus for example is not well suited.
i will be doing that this week and go to my HBS and ask what honey they use, but i also looking to do a larger with a citra flavor and bit of honey in it and brew it as low i can.

joshF said:
Alot of new brewers try to go high in alcohol, you'll soon learn that high alcohol doesn't mean a nicer beer. Go too high and you'll soon get that 'alcohol' taste which can very easily overpower some otherwise-lovely hops. Finding a good balance is key mate.

Maybe look up some recipes on the database and go from there. As far as 'what a first time should drink' remember at some point alot of us hated onions, capsicums, brocoli, mushrooms or whatever but we learnt to face the fact that "this is simply what it tastes like".

Perhaps you need to put those tastebuds through some Crash Course of Beer 101 and get them to start liking whatever bloody beer you make. that way it's a Win Win :)

good luck mate
hi there i usely add an extra 500g of LME to my batch, but maybe try some dark liquid malt in a light beer if it changes it then...

Back