What To Look For In A Refractormeter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbie

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to get a refractometer, but what should i be looking for? There seems to be a few different types on the market.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/easylifeproduct_...6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

One of the site sponsors has a refractometer I have my eyes on, but i would like to get a bit more background on them before I start.

Eg what range 0-32 or 0-18
Can some calculate alc% as well as give brix readings
etc

Cheers,

Cubbie

you need two different readings to get alcohol percentage - refractometers only measure how much sugar is in the water - or the gravity of the liquid.

So no, a refractometer won't give you alc% - just possible alc%

i think this would be the one you are after...could be wrong though

you need two different readings to get alcohol percentage - refractometers only measure how much sugar is in the water - or the gravity of the liquid.

So no, a refractometer won't give you alc% - just possible alc%

So is this model just giving a possible alc%

Also if I am going the type that you suggested would something like this be better (built in calibration knob).

Is there a preferred brix range?

I just bought one today from beerbelly. The range is the same as the one on ebay 0 - 32.

I don't think you would need to make a beer over 32 BRIX (SG 1.137).

And yes, alcohol % scale on the wine refractometer is just the possible alcohol. I do it in my head - here is my equation. e.g. sg = 1.070, fg = 1.007. Difference = 63. Divide that by 7 and you get 9% alcohol. In beersmith it is 8.2% So my equation is incorrect - but I use it so I can get a quick idea of the 'range' of the alc % ...

Happy to do my own calc (I have Promash), just thought it may be an added bonus.

In that case I think I like the look of the one with the calibration knob. i did see a thread were someone got a 0-18.

Cheers

Theirs one from craftbrewer and mashmaster(no affiliation)

That show both SG and Brix

Link Refractometer SG and Brix

More expensive but worth the money they have been developed for brewing

:icon_cheers:
Kleiny

Theirs one from craftbrewer and mashmaster(no affiliation)

That show both SG and Brix

Link Refractometer SG and Brix

More expensive but worth the money they have been developed for brewing

:icon_cheers:
Kleiny
+1

I just ordered one of these earlier in the week and it arrived today. A friend has one it I was suitably impressed. Looking forward to taking it for a spin next brew.

Latest posts

Back