What to do with cherries and plums?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Minds out of the gutter gents...

I received about a kilo of each cherries and plums, which weren't getting eaten. I've literally just finished boiling them down in lemon juice and sugar on the stove, and have strained out all the pits and skin and flesh, and am left with this lovely deep red tart tasting cherry/plum sauce. I'm currently boiling that down to a syrup, and I'm planning on freezing it for storage and then adding it to a brew. The question is, which?

I've got a mixed berry hefeweizen and a strawberry hefeweizen made with fresh berries both on tap at the moment, so I'm leaning towards making a bog stock apple cider with a few bottles of cheap juice (Just Juice, SPC Surplus $2 for 2L) and a couple of litres of good quality fresh pink lady apple juice. The plan would be to wait until the apple juice has fermented out completely, and then add the cherry/plum 'stock' so to speak and let it do it's thing for approx 3 days (tasting out of the FV to gauge correct level of sweetness) and then keg it (which means I'm not concerned about bottle bombs of course).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

80 pale
5 munich
5 carafa III
5 choc
5 roast barley
to 1.05-6
goldings to 35 ibu
whatever yeast floats your boat - irish ale perhaps
rack to your cherries and plums
dance naked

p.s still need to send you a beer :)

slcmorro said:
A Stout with cherries and plums. Interesting. Got a recipe handy?
Meh im an extract type person so generally hated and considered a newby.

A couple of years ago i did a bit of a "beer" using a tin of Morgans dark roast, a tin of Morgans pale, enough Fuggles to get about 25IBU (low, yes.)

Proceeded to tip in a bit of a concoction that had cherries floating in sherry for a couple of weeks into the mixture whilst it was going together....

Forget the yeast, think it was Morgans workhorse, choose your own adventure....

After fermentatin settled i threw in 500gm of cacao nibs, two vanilla sticks, and got the shits and threw in what was left of the sherry cherry's (i'd eaten a few in the meantime....) as a bit of a dry hop kinda thing.....

Went down a treat around Juneish kinda time, cold enough to want a dark beer (here in CQ atleast, in vic you couldd probably drink it 9 months of the year). A mates missus, who is a wine lover, and does not touch beer, proceeded to down four tallies of it, just kept holding up her glass for a refill....Yes she got very drunk.

Cant see Plum hurting.

Cheers.

Cherry plum choc oatmeal stout
Cherry plum fruit lambic
Cherry plum saison
Cherry plum chocolate porter
Cherry plum cider
Cherry plum melomel
Garlic shrimp
Curry shrimp
Cajun shrimp
Shrimp cocktails
Shrimp pie
Shrimp skewers
Honey soy shrimp
Shrimp gumbo
Shrimp soup
Shrimp mornay

Done a cherry dark ale. Lived in a street called Duff at the time, so made a bit of a simpsons beer joke.

Good beer. If I was kegging, I would have brewed the beer and chucked the beer in on the cherry juice, etc, as when one bottles they need to cherry the wort and the yeast tends to scrub a lot of the flavour and aroma.

I just tasted a cherry Berliner weisse I made. ******* great, and done way quicker than a kriek. I'll do a few more batches for sure.

I use whole unpitted cherries though.

Latest posts

Back