What to do with 500g of 2% A/A Tettnang

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Im sick of this being in my freezer and now want to use them up. Being so low in A/A I have been reluctant to use them in the quantities that would make much diff. But I have some old lager slurry I am going to use for the last time so there is no need to 'protect the yeast' from too much hops from the boil.
Any ideas how to use with a 100% Pils malt bill.
I also have loads of Northern Brewer and other high alpha hops but want to get rid of the Tet,

5kg Pils
500g tett @ 10 minutes in a biab bag

Should make for 4.6% ABV and 35 IBUs (using a chiller)
Brewmate says 68 IBUs if you no chill (all cube hopped?)

Go for a Dortmunder Export.

A nice German Lager at the high end of IBU & Alc.

That way you can use the hops all the way through the boil. Its supposed to have the hop character of a Pils and the malt of an (Oktoberfest or a Vienna from memory) but a bit bigger than both. Just did one, not a SMaSH though and loving it right now.

OK, Sounds cool, just use it all through the boil and see how it turns out.

So a Dort. Export it is. With 50g of 2% Tet @ 90, 60, 30, 15, & 5 min.

SJW said:
OK, Sounds cool, just use it all through the boil and see how it turns out.
I just had a mock up. For 22L to meet Dort style guidelines;
125g @ 60mins
20g @ 5mins
20g @ whirlpool

Still leaves you 335g :eek:
Maybe you have to throw the guidelines out!

SJW said:
So a Dort. Export it is. With 50g of 2% Tet @ 90, 60, 30, 15, & 5 min.
That might work - it uses more hops than my suggestion. Probably going to be a bit over specs on IBU, but why not?

I think the beauty of low alpha hops, is you can add a lot - get a lot of character out of the hops, without risk of a shitload of bitterness.

I shudder to think how much slurry you're going to have at the bottom of your kettle with half a kilo of hops in the boil. I hope your tap is a good distance off the bottom. Or you hop sockin?

How old are those hops? I'd assume they are 2009 or thereabouts?

How do they smell? Actually like something you'd like in your beer?

I've done a only cube hopped pils once with a shed load of old, low alpha saaz plugs. The hops smelled pretty horrid but I ignored that.
The beer turned out absolutely horrible, I've kegged it but never actually drank a whole glass of it.

If they smell horrid I'd either dispose or use for bittering at 90 minutes.

My favourite hop. I just did a belgian with 82%Pils, 11% wheat, 7% crystal, tettnanger and W27 yeast (which I think is T58?). Heavy early, late and moderate dry hopping to 25 IBU. Not a traditional recipe, but a great session beer. Just remember to do your first rest at 51c for 10 min to produce a good head on the beer. Next rest at 65 c for 60 and final at 78c for 10.

German Wheat

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.1
Bitterness (IBU): 15.2 (Average)

44.19% Pale Ale Malt
44.19% Wheat Malt
11.63% Munich I

1.3 g/L Tettnanger (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Florian said:
How old are those hops? I'd assume they are 2009 or thereabouts?

How do they smell? Actually like something you'd like in your beer?

I've done a only cube hopped pils once with a shed load of old, low alpha saaz plugs. The hops smelled pretty horrid but I ignored that.
The beer turned out absolutely horrible, I've kegged it but never actually drank a whole glass of it.

If they smell horrid I'd either dispose or use for bittering at 90 minutes.
I got the hops in the previous Sydney Bulk Buy. It just odd that they are only 2.1% a/a
They smell great but.

Stuwort said:
My favourite hop. I just did a belgian with 82%Pils, 11% wheat, 7% crystal, tettnanger and W27 yeast (which I think is T58?). Heavy early, late and moderate dry hopping to 25 IBU. Not a traditional recipe, but a great session beer. Just remember to do your first rest at 51c for 10 min to produce a good head on the beer. Next rest at 65 c for 60 and final at 78c for 10.
Yep, as I use the BM i always incorp a 52 deg C or so rest for 10 min, the 61 deg C for 30 min then 71 for 60 Min, then 78.

Phoney said:
I shudder to think how much slurry you're going to have at the bottom of your kettle with half a kilo of hops in the boil. I hope your tap is a good distance off the bottom. Or you hop sockin?
I am using a BM, so there is a bit of room under the tap. Never got great results using a hop sock, even a large one. I may run the last 1/3 of the wort through a hop sock to make sure I get my volume in the fermenter.

As for style spec's. I have never cared for spec's. :)

Cracked one of the new Tettnanger hopped brews last night (after ten days in the bottle), should be a nice brew once the 'green' taste subsides in six weeks or so. This one had no dry hopping as I was away. Has turned out very mild.

Here is one I did with all Tettnang.

My hops were a little higher in A A than yours but it still had a ship load in it.
I just leave my BM settle for around an hour and dont get any hop into the fermenter.
With that amount of hop I usually allow 4 litres loss to trub for a really clean wort.

image.jpg

tettnang...IIPA

throw them all in at flame out.

EDIT: ok...60 mins haha

I bumped this till next weekend. Father's Day and all, I can't be bothered.

Latest posts

Back