What to do? Using Lager yeast with only a primary fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froidy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I currently have a Coopers Lager kit going using Saflager S23 Lager yeast. I do not have temp control but it has been downstairs ranging between 10-14deg. I brewed one as my very first kit using the supplied ale yeast and it came out okay but this time thought I would try one with the proper yeast. By the time it was fermenting I started to realise what is actually involved in lagering! haha So my problem is I do not have a secondary fermenter so this first attempt will not be a proper 'lager' by any means. It has been in the FV for a bit over two weeks. My FG is currently at 1018 which is not ideal....I was just thinking of bottling in a few days and chalk this one up to experience. I'm basically screwed because I don't have a second FV, no 'diacetyl rest' etc....With ales once I bottle I usually put them somewhere warm for two weeks then put them in a cold place for at least three weeks. I have no idea what to do with this batch? haha I'll be sticking to ales from now on. Is there any hope? Thanks all :)
Leigh

Follow your current process but put carbed bottles in the coldest place you can find(not the freezer FFS) and they will be fine.
Get an old fridge, or a new fridge if that way inclined and some temp control, will make a big difference to your finished brews.

yum beer said:
Follow your current process but put carbed bottles in the coldest place you can find(not the freezer FFS) and they will be fine.
Get an old fridge, or a new fridge if that way inclined and some temp control, will make a big difference to your finished brews.
Thanks for the advice, yeah I am keen to go down this track in the future and get a second carboy and all that ;) Do you think my FG is too high? Should I take off the lid and give it a stir or add another pack of yeast? Just wondering :)

1018 is too high - probably drinkable but too high. I'd leave it on the yeast a few more weeks, really there is no harm in it so long as it isn't getting too warm. It will help clean it up a lot too - it will probably need it.

Take it up into your house for a few days for a d rest, will help knock and points left on it off also. I used to do that and then lager in the bottles. It is unorthodox but can produce good lagers if temp control not an option.

Thanks guys I'll give that a go! The temp is definitely not getting above 13 at the moment so It's all good, I'll leave it there for another week or so and also try the d-rest ;) Yeah it is unorthodox, probably will just stick with ale yeasts till I get better setup haha all good experience though ;)

Yeah mate I did the same thing for my first brew, did my best to keep it at desired temps and gave it a d-rest but I have no provision for a proper Lagering so will see how it turns out, just bottled it last night.

From memory in John Palmer's How To Brew, he does mention it's possible to do lagers with just a single fermenter. I think he even says he has done it like that previously as it is less effort and removes another step where you can go wrong. If you can keep the temperature down (after a d-rest) for a couple of weeks in primary, then bottle and keep the bottles nice and cold, you should end up with something quite nice. I've only made one lager myself, did it all in a single fermenter, no d-rest, and it turned out very drinkable (although there was plenty of room for improvement).

i do my Lagers as this..
Chill wort to ferment temp 11 dg
pitch yeast at 11 dg
ferment at this temp for 3 weeks maybe 2 weeks for an Aussie Lager at 15 dg
Crash chill with geletine added
store at 4 weeks at 4 dg
pour.

In your case bottle after four weeks, will take a while to carb up.
Should be still viable yeast for carbing after 4 weeks..

Thanks guys! I gave it a D-rest for two days at 18deg, now back downstairs at 11deg, will leave another week or so then bottle and store really cold somewhere for a month at least ;) Cheers for all the advice!
On that note since my second fermenter has been taken up so long with this lager, I purchased another Coopers DIY FV on the weekend hehehe
Now I can have two ales and one lager going at all times!!

Remember if you keep your bottles cold as soon as you bottle they won't get a chance to carb up. Thinking about it, you're proably better off bottling and keeping it at 11C for a couple of weeks so they carb up and then lagering in the bottle for another few weeks after that, but I'm not sure if this is correct practice...

Glengine said:
Remember if you keep your bottles cold as soon as you bottle they won't get a chance to carb up. Thinking about it, you're proably better off bottling and keeping it at 11C for a couple of weeks so they carb up and then lagering in the bottle for another few weeks after that, but I'm not sure if this is correct practice...
Yeah I wondered about that! Normally I put ales in a warm place for two weeks to carb up before putting in a colder place for three weeks before drinking but what about lagers? I'm such a noob! lol
Thanks for the advice, I reckon I'll do just that. Unfortunately the coldest place I can keep them after a few weeks is the fridge.....outside could be possibly colder than that at the moment, I'll see what happens! :) Haven't really got proper temp control to really LAGER!

Latest posts

Back