What To Buy Fridge Or Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad05

Reaction score
I have an situation where my current beer fridge has called it a day. It was a standard sized fridge with two kegs and two taps off the front.

Now I'm trying to work out what to buy next.

I would prefer something that could be expanded for extra kegs and room for cold conditioning. I currently have a chest freezer like this that is used for food but SWMBO would like to get an upright freezer if possible.

Has anyone used these for either kegs or for fermenting. I also need a fermenting fridge/freezer too as I am currently using an air conditioned room that has to make way for a new addition coming soon.

I was thinking of just using this chest freezer for fermenting or just for crab/fish bait and buying a big chest freezer for kegs and an upright freezer to keep the wife happy.

Any thoughts?

the freezer that I have actually looks a little bigger than that. Maybe 300L. It should fit a two kegs in it but probably only one small fermenter.

I would recommend an upright fridge/freezer, purely on the damage you could do to your back getting kegs/conditioning cubes in and out of a chest freezer.

(But on the flip side, the chesty's make a great little bar top with a font).

I would recommend an upright fridge/freezer, purely on the damage you could do to your back getting kegs/conditioning cubes in and out of a chest freezer.

(But on the flip side, the chesty's make a great little bar top with a font).

Can you get more than two kegs in an upright freezer/fridge?

Have you looked at the kegerators (e.g. the ones that Ross sell or kegmate.com.au, kegking.com.au) or are you set on a chest model?

Have you looked at the kegerators (e.g. the ones that Ross sell or kegmate.com.au, kegking.com.au) or are you set on a chest model?

Kegerators are ok but most only have one tap. There is a 1yr old 700L chest freezer for $350 advertised locally which would leave me with plenty of room, plus I already have two taps and lines ect..

Are there any fridges that can hold a few more kegs or should I go chest freezer? Raven's comment about lifting kegs in and out of the freezer is something I hadn't thought of.

Just don't make your collar too high and its not too much work at all unless you already suffer from a stuffed back. I have a freezer with space for 4 kegs and 1 jerry for conditioning etc. Can't fault it really as long as you do your homework and install a small fan, damprid and seal it well. Take a look at the kegging setups thread for inspiration

Can you get more than two kegs in an upright freezer/fridge?

I can get 8 kegs into my fermenting freezer. I'm not using it as a keg fridge, but i know it can fit 8. 4 on the bottom and 4 on a shelf. I'd have to make a new shelf... probably out of security screen mesh and securely fixed to the sides. It's a very old freezer but it works well enough and keeps temp pretty good.

here's a couple of photos of what it all used to look like... slightly updated now as i have 6 kegs in the kegerator and nothing but fermenters in the fermenting freezer.

SDC14532.JPG

SDC14537.JPG

I use a chest freezer, it holds a more stable temperature as they have better insulation then a fridge, and all the cold air doesnt come gushing out every time you open the door. Also uses less electricity.

Only con is lifting fermenters in and out, if your only using standard size its no probs, if you use 40 - 60L fermenters i would get a fridge :p

I can get 8 kegs into my fermenting freezer. I'm not using it as a keg fridge, but i know it can fit 8. 4 on the bottom and 4 on a shelf. I'd have to make a new shelf... probably out of security screen mesh and securely fixed to the sides. It's a very old freezer but it works well enough and keeps temp pretty good.

here's a couple of photos of what it all used to look like... slightly updated now as i have 6 kegs in the kegerator and nothing but fermenters in the fermenting freezer.

That looks like a good setup. My main issue was that I wouldn't be able to fit enough kegs in the fridge but 8 would be heaps (for now anyway :D ). The good part is that I have full 320? litre food fridge in the house that I could replace and then use the older one as a beer fridge. The freezer can get replaced with an upright and I can use the old one for fermenting until I find a cheap fridge.

The misus gets a new fridge and freezer for the house and I get some good gear to play with.

Even for an upright I would recommend a freezer rather than a fridge as it should have better insulation and so should use less electricity. I have an upright frost free freezer like Argon, when I last saw his photos I got excited because I thought I would be able to fit more than two fermenters in mine. Must be smaller though because when I tried I can only fit 1 per shelf. If I wanted I would switch to jerry cans to fit more in though. Seems to be less problems with condensation and mildew with the frost free also.

Even for an upright I would recommend a freezer rather than a fridge as it should have better insulation and so should use less electricity. I have an upright frost free freezer like Argon, when I last saw his photos I got excited because I thought I would be able to fit more than two fermenters in mine. Must be smaller though because when I tried I can only fit 1 per shelf. If I wanted I would switch to jerry cans to fit more in though. Seems to be less problems with condensation and mildew with the frost free also.

Good point on the condensation and mildew. I am probably going to be storing the fermenting fridge/freezer in the shed. Summer here can get quite hot and humid and I would anticipate my shed would sometimes reach 45 deg plus during summer.

I can easily get 4 fermenter in there... but I think I've only done it once. Most of the time it's only got 1 or 2 in there. The taller skinnier 30L fermenters take up less footprint and sit directly side by side. The bunnings ones are a bit fatter and one sits partially in front of the other and is a bit of a squeeze. Also I wouldn't mind getting a lager fridge too. So i can cold condition while fermenting another batch.

Never had any problems with mould in the fermentator... the occasional drip from the fermenter, but generally pretty clean. One day i'll probably convert it to get 8 keg in... but for now 6 kegs and 4 taps is ok... although could us e a couple more.

Good point on the condensation and mildew. I am probably going to be storing the fermenting fridge/freezer in the shed. Summer here can get quite hot and humid and I would anticipate my shed would sometimes reach 45 deg plus during summer.

Your comment on temp made me realise your just down the road, well 120km or so anyway.

Nice setup. Best of both worlds. I notice you use the floor as a drip tray :p

w

Nice setup. Best of both worlds. I notice you use the floor as a drip tray :p

w

yeah pretty much... i now keep one of the shelves from the fridge door on the ground under the taps... work well enough and is easy to clean. Couldn't be arsed paying close to 100 clams for stainless drip tray. I have other options of course but too lazy.

Latest posts

Back