What The Best Hop Variety

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
As a follow on from the HOP OF THE WEEK thread, what would you say is your all time favourite bittering hop and taste hop?
For me I always stray back to Northern Brewer for bittering and Saaz for Pilsners and I love Hallertau for my German Lagers and East Kent Goldings for porters :D

Steve.

Fuggle,and its derivatives ie.willamette,styrian golding and cascade.

I can't pick just one. There are so many nice hops. Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Columbus, Willamette, EKG, Glacier are some I've enjoyed. :chug:

I'm voting Nelson Sauvin for it's versatility.

Versatility? It's a nice hop but has quite a dominant flavour/aroma... but I'll agree it's a nice hop.
I love B saaz, Styrian Golding, Northern Brewer?

I really want to try Pacific Hallertau and Challenger, does anyone have any thoughts on challenger V northern brewer?

Edit:grammar

Nelson Sauvin just because I love it. I think it can be versatile and used well for both bittering and taste.

It really does differ for different styles but I am struggling to get away from First Gold with something in all my english ones...

Hallertau and all it's decendants, like Northern Brewer, Perle, etc. No matter how many times I flirt with Amarillo, Cascade and the English cousins Fuggle and the Goldings family, I always come back to the old Hallertau. Lovely hop, just damn lovely.

Too many late hops to mention so it's hard to nail a fave.

Bittering though would be Target hands down. Great high alpha hop that's never harsh. :beerbang:

Warren -

As a follow on from the HOP OF THE WEEK thread, what would you say is your all time favourite bittering hop and taste hop?
For me I always stray back to Northern Brewer for bittering and Saaz for Pilsners and I love Hallertau for my German Lagers and East Kent Goldings for porters :D

Steve.
my favorite combination for Pilsener is Magnum for bittering and Saazer for arome, a divine combination

at least 35 IBU

Cheers :party:

simcoe in amber ale for aroma and flavour but bittering luv the fuggles
they would be my top 2
dont mind saaz in small doses i had to much one night in a pils and i was sick as a dog all i could taste was saaz .but nothing like a czech hangover

so dont shoot a czechoslavician in the shower?
del

Magnum for bittering and heaps of others for flavour.

cheers

Browndog

I love Hops lespecially mixed with a malty liquid and fermented with yeast , I have not tried them all yet

I have been using Styrian Goldings , Northern brewer and Hersbrucker , Saaz recently

Pumpy :)

Tough question...

General Bittering - Northern Brewer
Flavour - EK Goldings
Aroma - Simcoe
Allrounder - Hallertau or Perle

:super:

I think if someone did a serious study into what is considered the very best hop in the world of all time, did a lot of research into the history of hops and beer etc and talked to a zillion brewers I think zatec red/ bohemian red/ more commonly known as Saaz would proberly come up on top by a long way.

Hallertau Hallertauer Mittelfruh - without a doubt, closely followed by Saaz and about 30 other make your mouth water

The best thing about owning a HBS is that I get to open all the hop bags and get the first sniff, its one of those jobs that won't get delegated - dam I love good hops.

MHB

I love chinooks. I used a lot of local varieties such as Wilamette, Mt Hood, Cascade, etc back home and love them, but I love the Chinook for it's clean spicy bitterness. perfect for my IPA's!

Back