What Size Spanner To Remove Corny Keg Posts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have 6 cornys here that I need to replace the seals in, and most of the online guides recommended a 11/16th or 7/8ths spanner, so off I go to Bunnings to buy some ring spanners. Looks like the 11/16ths doesn't fit, even the 13/16ths wont get down to the base of the post. Does anyone know the correct size? failing finding the right one, I think i'lll just walk into Bunnings with a keg and try all the different sizes until I find the right one :D

Cheers,
Matt

22mm or 7/8

Pop one off with a Shifter/Cresent and take it with you.
Fail Safe.

Drew

I think 22mm fits mine and the other keg seems to have a firestone posts i dunno the size but my threw bolt socket fits on with no sockets attached as the posts are to thick to go threw the threw bolt hole lol. at a guess maybe 16mm. are they all the same size?

For some similar info, check out this Similar thread.

I find my cornies vary slightly from one to another.

A cheap socket set is the way to go imo.

They are ball locks (Ross special's) I'll put a picture up tomorrow when theres its light enough to take a decent photo.

Sadly its hard to pop one off as they are the 12 point star type posts for the gas inlets - i'll have a crack at with the multi grips tomorrow. Worse case scenario is I just take the whole corny with me!

22mm or 7/8
Most of mine are 7/8", but not all.

The USA made ones will be imperial.
I have some Italian ones which are metric.

I use a ring spanner upside down (ie the crank bent away from me to duck down through the hand holes).

Some have a very "thin" hex which makes engaging the spanner hard with all of the rubber.

Some are12 sided rather than 6 sided, so very suited for ring spanners.

If you are going to buy sockets, I'd suggest you take the keg to the store -- you will need deep sockets.

Cornelius I have are definitely 7/8" AF.

My posts look like these ones:-

DSCN3198.JPG

DSCN3199.JPG

Ended up getting a 22mm open/ring spanner for $1.48 from bunnings which fits all of my kegs perfectly.

One of the liquid posts was a bitch to get off and it appeared to have been cross threaded at some stage so the threaded post on the keg is rooted. I guess thats the risk you take with second hand kegs!

Cheers,
Matt

Get some food grade lube from one of the sponsors above, that should help when you pull apart your kegs for cleaning.

it appeared to have been cross threaded at some stage so the threaded post on the keg is rooted. I guess thats the risk you take with second hand kegs!

Just to clarify - the rooted keg did not come from Ross - all of his were fine. The keg with the dodgy post was a "reconditioned one" from my local HBS.

Caveat Emptor!

I got TTI 7/8 Deep socket from Total Tools never use it for anything else

Latest posts

Back