What size Co2 cylinder do most people get? 2.6Kg or larger type 6 or 6

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 25kg tank that I got with my ebay kegerator... sadly a gas leak happened and I'm going to haev tos ave up to get her refilled.

Dragging up an old thread rather than starting a new one....

What's behind all these co2 gas leaks people are having? Are they bottle issues, or more user error in the way they've been connected? This thread makes it sound like they're pretty common.

My c02 problems have been traced back to cheap replacement corny posts and cheap QD's. Cost me 2 x 2.6 kgs and a 60L sodastream cylinder.. any money I saved went out the window. Now I'm really pedantic about my gas.. I live in fear the first day I hook in new kegs.

The poor man pays twice.

I have the keg king 6kg bottle in a kegerator depleted the entire bottle because the cheap keg king beer / gas line split.

The smaller bottles are good to fit in small places more room for beer.

If 2 small ones was the same as the 6kg "which are not unfortunately" I'd recommend that.

Just don't cheap out on your beer line and fittings, test with some leak check "detergent bubbles" for the first few hours / days and you will be fine either way you decide to go.

i just turn off the gas... and give it a squirt when pouring a beer or leave it on during a seesion

but i did have a gas bottle (MKOL) leak via the gas tap on the bottle (leaked when off :huh: but not when on )
MKOL replaced the bottle via Ross at CB free of cost :)

i have both the 2.3 and the 6.8, if i was buying again i would get the big one 1st

The way ive been checking for leaks is to connect everything up except the kegs,disconnect them, then turn the gas on and let it pressurise up.
Take note of the HP gauge then turn the cylender off and leave it.
See how much it drops over a period of time.
I get >5 days out of my micromatic (i wanted to drink some beer), but the crappy dual reg i bought lasted ove
rnight.
Tis verry true that the poor man pays twice!

Back on topic...
I have a 6kg KK cylinder and will be looking for another in the future, its a bugger that the 2.6 and 6kg only have ~$50 between them. Appart from size It seems pointless to go the 2.6kg >_>

Maheel, not so easy/convenient for carbing at serving pressure.

Maxim, I really like the portability of my 2.6kg, and I run a 60L soda stream cannister for emergencies. Although I guess I could run a 6kg and use the 2.6kg for emergencies and travel. The soda stream refills are fuggin exxy.

carniebrew said:
Dragging up an old thread rather than starting a new one....

What's behind all these co2 gas leaks people are having? Are they bottle issues, or more user error in the way they've been connected? This thread makes it sound like they're pretty common.
I fixed (I hope!!) a gas leak in my system a couple Of days ago. Main cause was a cheap, shithouse disconnect from Keg King... Some old line seemed to have split a bit too but that was after moving it all around, was old line.

Ok, I'm convinced the $12.90 "premium" disconnects are the way to go, rather than the $6 chinese ones on offer. Thanks all!

The only leaks I've had that have depleted a bottle have been top quality John Guest splitters that have become stressed by the contorted lines you can end up with in a Kegmate and a couple of the "teeth" have got stripped.

Kegmates are da bomb, but because they have hardly any space in them (actually an advantage for cooling efficiency) after you have fitted the kegs in by means of advanced keg tetris, the gas and beer lines often have to be jammed in any way they'll fit and that can weaken then destroy splitters. If there's no need ever to take a splitter apart then I'd recommend never getting a John Guest, but just hard wire the gas lines into place using a cheap 2 dollar barbed T that you can even get from SuperCheap Auto and the like. They never come apart again but you don't need them to.
edit: found photo:

equal t plastic.jpg

It's also handy to always have a couple of poppets, a PRV and a seal kit in your box of bits where you keep your faucet wrench and tube o lube.

I run a 6 on the conditioning/priming fridge and a 2.6 on the keg fridge

Back