What Should I Brew With These Ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lollipopman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm just about to start my 3rd BIAB and I just bought some bulk grain as buying it separately was a bit too expensive. I'm not 100% sure what I should make with the ingredients though. These are all the ingredients I have in stock-

25kg bag pale malt

1kg munich malt

Safale US-56 yeast x2

100g east kent goldings hop pellets 4.8% alpha

100g cascade hop pellets 6.3% alpha

I want to brew something today so I won't have time to get any more ingredients right now so I would like to just use the ingredients I have in stock for todays brew.

I am thinking about just doing something like this-

4kg pale malt

500g munich

50g goldings

50g cascade

Would that turn out ok?

I can also order some more ingredients tomorrow so if you have any suggestions of what I should buy for future brews I would gladly take the advice. Cheers

How about an easy to drink APA

ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.40 Wort Size (L): 22.40
Total Grain (kg): 5.05
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.40
Anticipated SRM: 6.2
Anticipated IBU: 33.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.2 4.05 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
19.8 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.79 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
32.67 g. Cascade Whole 6.35 27.7 60 min.
20.79 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 5.4 20 min.

Yeast
-----

I can also order some more ingredients tomorrow so if you have any suggestions of what I should buy for future brews I would gladly take the advice. Cheers

Hello, I would recomend getting some pride of ringwood and crystal malt. Purely on the bassis that i see they get used a lot in brews in the db and yeah a nice PA is the way to go.

Aaron

Hello everyone, I'm just about to start my 3rd BIAB and I just bought some bulk grain as buying it separately was a bit too expensive. I'm not 100% sure what I should make with the ingredients though. These are all the ingredients I have in stock-

25kg bag pale malt

1kg munich malt

Safale US-56 yeast x2

100g east kent goldings hop pellets 4.8% alpha

100g cascade hop pellets 6.3% alpha

I want to brew something today so I won't have time to get any more ingredients right now so I would like to just use the ingredients I have in stock for todays brew.

I am thinking about just doing something like this-

4kg pale malt

500g munich

50g goldings

50g cascade

Would that turn out ok?

lolli - get some light crystal to go with the pale malt and goldings and make Tonys EKG Bitter (in the recipe section) :D

Unfortunately I couldn't brew today because on friday I hired a new 45kg gas bottle and didn't realise until today that my old gas burner hose wasn't long enough to reach the top of the gas bottle >.< I will have to buy a new hose tomorrow.

Hello, I would recomend getting some pride of ringwood and crystal malt. Purely on the bassis that i see they get used a lot in brews in the db and yeah a nice PA is the way to go.

Aaron

Thanks for the info spartan, I was planning on getting some pride of ringwood but my lhbs was sold out last time I went their. I will have to order some online.

How about an easy to drink APA

ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.40 Wort Size (L): 22.40
Total Grain (kg): 5.05
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.40
Anticipated SRM: 6.2
Anticipated IBU: 33.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
80.2 4.05 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
19.8 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.79 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
32.67 g. Cascade Whole 6.35 27.7 60 min.
20.79 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 5.4 20 min.

Yeast
-----

Thanks Greg that looks good, I will definitely have to give it a try (I love cascade).

lolli - get some light crystal to go with the pale malt and goldings and make Tonys EKG Bitter (in the recipe section) :D

Hey Steve, is http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=394 the recipe you were referring to? I see it also uses 4kg of IMC Pilsner would you be able to leave out the pilsner? Cheers

Unfortunately I couldn't brew today because on friday I hired a new 45kg gas bottle and didn't realise until today that my old gas burner hose wasn't long enough to reach the top of the gas bottle >.< I will have to buy a new hose tomorrow.

Thanks for the info spartan, I was planning on getting some pride of ringwood but my lhbs was sold out last time I went their. I will have to order some online.

Thanks Greg that looks good, I will definitely have to give it a try (I love cascade).

Hey Steve, is http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=394 the recipe you were referring to? I see it also uses 4kg of IMC Pilsner would you be able to leave out the pilsner? Cheers

Yes certainly

In my experience and opinion, I'd keep goldings and cascade apart - I did it once, and thought it was repulsive.

Maybe it is the time to go the single hop, single malt beer?

In my experience and opinion, I'd keep goldings and cascade apart - I did it once, and thought it was repulsive.

Maybe it is the time to go the single hop, single malt beer?

From what I've been told, there is a well-known west coast brewery who use (or used) Goldings for bittering and Cascade in the whirlpool (along with Chinook?).

Not that I want to stop you from doing a single hop beer. :super:

Just a heads up, bittering with cascade gives a strong resin flavor in the beer. Might be a bit harsher than you expect. I would bitter with the goldings and just use cascade for aroma flavor. Plus you can get more out of them this way. 50g at 10 min 50g at 0 min = tastey!

Have fun.

From what I've been told, there is a well-known west coast brewery who use (or used) Goldings for bittering and Cascade in the whirlpool (along with Chinook?).

Not that I want to stop you from doing a single hop beer. :super:

I think I am negatively biased against cascade anyway, so feel free to cast my opinion to the side.

Not meaning to diss your opinion. Different strokes and all that.

Though come to think of it, anybody who doesn't like cascade should definitely be ignored. :angry: :rolleyes: :D

Cascade has it's uses........link
:D

edit: for those that don't know, that's Adamt in the pic..... ^_^

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up going with this simple recipe-

4.00 kg Pale Malt
0.50 kg Munich Malt
30.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 60 min
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 10 min
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 5 min

I brewed it yesterday and everything went well except my wort chiller didn't work as well as normal. I use my swimming pool filter to pump pool water through the coil so I don't waste a drop of water. Although after 2 hours the wort temperature had only cooled to 30 degress so I was wondering what was going on. I checked the pool water temperature and it was 27 degress >.< I will have to find a different way to cool my wort in summer (works well in winter).

I ended up just throwing some ice cubes in the fermenter to cool the wort down to 20 degress before pitching the yeast. Not the most best way I know but hopefully it won't get infected.

I think the next batch I brew will be the same as the above recipe except I will use goldings instead of cascade. That way I will be able to test the difference between the hops. Cheers

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up going with this simple recipe-

4.00 kg Pale Malt
0.50 kg Munich Malt
30.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 60 min
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 10 min
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30%] 5 min

I brewed it yesterday and everything went well except my wort chiller didn't work as well as normal. I use my swimming pool filter to pump pool water through the coil so I don't waste a drop of water. Although after 2 hours the wort temperature had only cooled to 30 degress so I was wondering what was going on. I checked the pool water temperature and it was 27 degress >.< I will have to find a different way to cool my wort in summer (works well in winter).

I ended up just throwing some ice cubes in the fermenter to cool the wort down to 20 degress before pitching the yeast. Not the most best way I know but hopefully it won't get infected.

I think the next batch I brew will be the same as the above recipe except I will use goldings instead of cascade. That way I will be able to test the difference between the hops. Cheers

If you want a good way of chilling your wort in the summer invest in a small pump that plugs into mains. then get yourself a bucket and some tubing or hose. Fill th bucket with a few kilos of ice and some water(could use your pool water?) to make a slurryand then pump the cool water threw the chiller and back into the bucket. and if it heats up too much then just throw in some more ice. I drew a prettypicture for you to see :p

Aaron

chiller.jpg

Mate of mine makes Pale Ales with mainly NZ Goldings and a touch of cascade, comes out really nice and quaffable IMO B)

Latest posts

Back