What Pressure Reg To Use With My Spiral Burner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Ive read a lot of posts here advocating the beerbelly adjustable reg for the italian spiral burner (I think it is a medium pressure one from memory?)...just went to the local gas shop here and he was insistent that the burner was only rated for a 2.8kps bbq reg and that to go any higher was extremely dangerous...and wouldnt sell me a higher pressure reg!!

so, is it really that dangerous? Im sure it couldnt be otherwise so many of you learned colleagues wouldnt be using them...

Looking at the flame I get from the bbq reg, I dont think I would need much more than 2.8kpa..maybe 3.5-4.5 would be fine...is there a reg on the market that is adjustable from 0-10kpa? I reckon such a device would be prefect and possible safer than a higher pressure unit...but then again, I know jack sh!t about gas and stuff so thats why Im asking here.
Cheers

Al

Hey Albanian.
I have a spiral and a standard BBQ reg took an hour to get 35 liters to boil. I got one of THESE from China.
Have not used it yet, but borrowed one from a fellow brewer, and it it much better. Had to keep an eye out as I was over shooting temps while using it.
I also went to a camping shop, they sold me a medium adjustable reg, wasn't much better than the standard BBQ.

Cheers Hammo, Ill check it out...took me about 40 min to get 30L to strike temp (70C) and another 40 after mashing to get a boil...

I use a Med pressure reg from Beerbelly and find it get my boils going well, fully adjustable from 0-207 kpa

so it seems everyone is quite happy using higher pressure on this style of burner...what are the safety issues that made this bloke refuse to sell me a reg rated higher than my existing 2.8kpa one????

I can help out with a BOC reg.

I have the Italian Spiral with Medium Reg, no problems experienced. I chucked the supplied manual - it was in Italian anyway - but that should have the numbers to get the facts re: the advice you received. I can't imagine BeerBelly were suggesting medium reg without good reason themselves. I don't see how your local gas guy could make an accurate determination visually on what the gas flow is, unless it is printed on the burner itself?

I just noticed BeerBelly themselves have updated theirs to a model that includes the regulator fitted:
http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

Well, it appears to work fine (really well in fact) on a 0-207kpa regulator

I batch sparge, and start my Italian spiral burner once my first runnings are going into the kettle.

By the time I start to drain my sparge, 10 minutes later, the first runnings have already come to the boil, and I have had to turn the gas right down.

The combination of Italian Spiral burner, and adjustable medium regulator is very efficient. Buy the adjustable regulator, you wont be sorry.

i also run spiral with the med adjustable reg from beerbelly... great bang for your buck, don't waste your time and money with low pressure BBQ ones or ebay stuff.

I assume you run them nearly closed off?? at 2.8kps it puts out an ok flame...Im sure it wouldnt need much more than 5kpa to be absolutely cranking...207kpa just sounds scary!!

I assume you run them nearly closed off?? at 2.8kps it puts out an ok flame...Im sure it wouldnt need much more than 5kpa to be absolutely cranking...207kpa just sounds scary!!

I have a spiral burner with a medium reg, and you're right, I run it nearly closed. That gives a great flame that is much better than a BBQ reg, but any more and I feel it's just wasting gas, flames going everywhere. It is fun to do though...

adjustable from 0.5 - 4 bar...thats 50 - 400 kpa which is massive considering a bbq reg puts out 2.8kpa... I dont reckon that would work, just keep blowing itself out or you up maybe??

I reckon an ideal unit would be adjustable from 0 - 100mBar (ie 0.1bar, or 10kpa)..but I havent come across one

what about one of these ???

by my calcs that's about a 32% increase in pressure which should be a significant improvement, whilst still keeping overall pressures in the low safe range??? ie max pressure 3.7kpa rather than the out of control 207kpa...and heaps cheaper too!

For that price, you have nothing to lose.

Hell i might even get one and test on my BBQ for searing steaks.
Looks like a properly engineered / assembled unit too.

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back