What Pressure Reg To Use With My Spiral Burner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you run them nearly closed off?? at 2.8kps it puts out an ok flame...Im sure it wouldnt need much more than 5kpa to be absolutely cranking...207kpa just sounds scary!!

With a BOC regulator you light it up then screw that baby up till it's hooting :p I've sent you a PM, I may have one kicking around here you can have for the price of the postage.

Batz

If Albainian isn't interested, I definitely would be.

Wow.. way to confuse a thread!

first lets get 2 things right,
1) regulators are rated with 2 (relevant) performance parameters - outlet pressure & flow rate. IMO, unless you are boiling the murray river, its the outlet pressure that is more important, standard 2 Kg/hr flow rate does just fine even upto double batch volume. I biabbed a double batch-ish volume, it was super quick.
2) Second, 1 bar = 100 kPa = ~14.5 psi.

Given that, a 205 kPa reg is actually ~ 2bar or ~29psi. That is the beerbelly 'medium pressure regulator' It is also high flow rate.
The other regulator, available from beerbelly as 'low pressure adjustable' reg & from G&G as 'medium pressure' adustable reg is rated 5-15 kPa or 0.05 - 0.15 bar or 0.725 - 2.175 psi. This one is a standard 2Kg/hr regulator.

I'm using the latter, hasn't caused me any trouble. The pressure is effectively up to 5 times that of a bbq reg, which translates into a much hotter flame, better flame spread etc. Brings it all to boil no worries. I start it off at full and then throttle it back to ~ half once its a rolling boil. 1C a minute is easy peasy with ~30-40L of volume.

I use a BOC one and if batz offering it for free grab it they are not cheap and they are quality gear, I run 2 burners at the same time and prob have it set on 1/8th what it can do, gets the spiral pumping but if I put it any higher Id have to change the frame height.

A question for those using a spiral burner with BOC or Beerbelly reg..how do you have the burner's collar adjusted? With my bbq reg I have it fully open, is there adjustments to be made when dealing with the higher output these regulators deliver?

With a BOC regulator you light it up then screw that baby up till it's hooting :p I've sent you a PM, I may have one kicking around here you can have for the price of the postage.

Batz

Has this arrived yet? I posted it sometime ago and have heard nothing from you.

Back