What Licence / Insurance?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kilt, kilt, kilt!!!!

You're surprised us Scotsmen are skeptical cynics??

Congrats Yob (et al). Amazing effort.
Gee, what are you gonna do with the left over beer?...

Yesterday was an absolute fantastic day to spend giving away free beer to the punters. There were kilts, wasps, a BIAB in action and ofcourse lots of great choice of ale. All the beers were well received and the punters were stoked to find out that it was all made at home on small systems.

My highlight of the day was when a Scottish man was enjoying all samples and then came back a few hours later for more. He had his little lads with him and gave them each a smell of the aromas. At the end of the second tasting he wished us luck and said to his son:

"Alright lads now shake the mans hand. He is a very important man. He makes beer for the town."

Count me in for next year.

Favorite quotes from the punters:

"This is BEER?!?! Really? This is what beer is supposed to taste like? I'd drink more beer if I could get this." - girl, late 20's

"Reminds me of home." Old Scotsman in a thick brogue about the 70 shilling, walks away nodding purposefully

"Wait, you mean I can make beer like this at home?" - 30's guy

Twas a good bit of homebrewing diplomacy you did Yob. Glad to be part of it, and I'd happily do a couple of these each year.

Really, just a lovely day, and only two weirdos. Actually one of whom provided a golden moment of comedy when he poured about 20g of Simcoe pellets, put out to show people what hops look like, into his mouth and began chewing, for a very brief period. Dramatic spitting and coughing ensued. Too funny! :D

Anyone that was there on the day please keep those stories and quotes from the day coming.

When it comes time to write the article for next months MB newsletter these will be good to use for the story. (along with any photographic evidence that can be found of Yob in his skirt/kilt).

I mostly had the camera so probably hard to find a full one..

Screenshot_2015-03-30-13-04-42.png

Yob - now that you've had a practice run time to get onto the big events.

I can see it now a Homebrew stall a GABS or Ballarat beer festival giving out free samples.

But then again - not to sure the commercial breweries would want anyone promoting " hey you can make better beer at home for a fraction of the cost" alongside them.

Out curiosity....

Was there anything left over in my keg of Scottish Ale?

Either way - chuffed if it was popular enough to be drained, or chuffed to get some back to drink for myself.

Out of interest, what would the legalities be of someone 'serving'/gifting people a pint while they wait for their hair to be cut (or while they are having their hair cut).

There are a couple of barbers around where I am that have started up on this.

Barber's and craft beer?

Would have to be the place hipsters go for a beard trim

GrumpyPaul said:
Out curiosity....

Was there anything left over in my keg of Scottish Ale?

Either way - chuffed if it was popular enough to be drained, or chuffed to get some back to drink for myself.
Your keg was one on the first ones on, however, the tap it was on played up at one point early on and was pouring foam, we swapped out the keg to make sure it was the tap and not the keg, the tap came right not long after but we didn't swap yours back in, so it still has loads mate.

Re barbers, as long as it's not homebrew, it could come under an implied sale and the ATO would want their bit. If course, with the right licence anything is possible

Cool. another keg for the sons 30th. Will shoot you a message and swing by to pick it up in the next day or so

takai said:
Out of interest, what would the legalities be of someone 'serving'/gifting people a pint while they wait for their hair to be cut (or while they are having their hair cut).

There are a couple of barbers around where I am that have started up on this.
Remember something in Victorian liquor legislation that a barber doesn't need a liquor licence to serve alcohol to a customer. Its very specific to barbers/hairdressers. Weird.
Perhaps it should be an implied haircut.

Wow. The butchers (wtf?) florists and b&b have various restrictions, whereas barbers/hairdressers do not. Basically you just need trim a hair and that's it. There's not even a mention of the obvious condition it's a primary function of the business. Surely there's scope for a serious loophole there - "each hair trimmed for $7 comes with a free beer"!

Back