What Keg Type Do I Have?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
I received a couple of second hand 18L kegs recently, and today when I actually pullled them apart for cleaning I realised they are totally different from a regular corny keg. I can't add any pictures at the moment, but can give a brief description..... Keg posts have male fittings, and beneath them there was some sort of worn plastic washer sitting above the dip tubes, only the beer out dip tube seemed to have a rubber gasket. Also the PRV is located on the body of the keg, not the lid.
Any idea what kegs I have? Another clue is Cottees General foods is engraved on the base.

Any answers will be appreciated as I will probably have to replace a lot of parts as they were in pretty poor condition.

Cheers

I received a couple of second hand 18L kegs recently, and today when I actually pullled them apart for cleaning I realised they are totally different from a regular corny keg. I can't add any pictures at the moment, but can give a brief description..... Keg posts have male fittings, and beneath them there was some sort of worn plastic washer sitting above the dip tubes, only the beer out dip tube seemed to have a rubber gasket. Also the PRV is located on the body of the keg, not the lid.
Any idea what kegs I have? Another clue is Cottees General foods is engraved on the base.

Any answers will be appreciated as I will probably have to replace a lot of parts as they were in pretty poor condition.

Cheers
Are the chimbs (rings) at the top and bottom stainless steel not rubber? if so they sound like Mytton Rodd kegs with Taylor posts like these, built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse compared to an american corny keg. The hatches will probably be "Race Track" style (oval with straight sides) as well. Its up to you if you think they are worth resurrecting.

Dont be in a hurry to buy replacement bits which are expensive, except for the plastic washers which you can get cheap from Andale. They are solidly built and can be cleaned up and put back together. The main issue will be if you can get the poppets out. Probably they dont sit free but are held in place by a circlip or by a threaded cylinder. If the threaded cylinder you may need to file down a screwdriver to fit.

Ausdb, yeah the whole keg is just stainless, no rubber like a corny has. The posts look very similar to that link, except above the thread the nut is hexagonal. Lid is same as a corny minus the PRV.

GuestLurker, the post consists of 2 parts which you unscrew to get to the poppet, but now I have no idea which kind of poppet to get to replace them. I'll try and get pics as soon as I can, it's too hard to describe all these little bits and pieces.

Cheers

OK here are the pics, a couple of the poppets will definitely need replacing, just need to work out which ones to get. So overall shouldn't be too expensive to get em running.
Any ideas?

Poppet.jpgKeg_Top.jpgKeg_Post.jpgKeg.jpg

OK, someone has already converted those kegs from the original posts, to standard cornelius posts, using the male to male threaded bit on the bottom of the post, which I think is called a Taylor Plug?? So the actual top bit of the post and the poppets should be the bog standard most common ones I think.

So looks like I have some kind of Frankenstein keg.....typical

On the Kegsonline website the right type of post to fit on to the male/male fitting seems to be a Spartanburg Spartanburg pic
but the poppets I have recovered from the kegs look like cornelius.....

Could I have a Mytton/Rodd keg, with Cornelius poppets and Spartanburg posts? or am I just losing it? :wacko:

So looks like I have some kind of Frankenstein keg.....typical

On the Kegsonline website the right type of post to fit on to the male/male fitting seems to be a Spartanburg Spartanburg pic
but the poppets I have recovered from the kegs look like cornelius.....

Could I have a Mytton/Rodd keg, with Cornelius poppets and Spartanburg posts? or am I just losing it? :wacko:
RDWHAHB :icon_cheers:

Just take your poppet and post (the top part) to a decent HBS and match them up, the only extra thing that makes these different is that you will also need the thick yellow plastic washers to seal the adapter fittings into the sockets on the keg. Its no big deal and when you work out which poppets are the right ones mark it on the keg with an engraver or somewhere in your brewshed for next time. If someone gave these to me I woudln't complain

Back