What is your oldest bottle conditioned beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.5 yo 9% Baltic Porter - one or two left. Had one just the other day. Still rich, luscious, but some of the coffee aroma has gone.

4 yo 12% Belgian Strong Dark - in champagne punts. Still developing. Again, rich, smooth, velvety.

Robust porter, bottled the day my first was born, April 15th 2010. I try to drink a bottle a year on the day, and have enough to see me through to 2020.

I drank the last bottle of my great uncles beers on the day she was born....it must have been pushing 15 years and tasted like brown soda water.

So what do you guys think would be best condition at room temp for a couple of months and then transfer to the fridge to condition for as long as possible.

A friend of mine just opened a Rodenbach from 1984 ..... Watthe ????? 30yo beer ... Surely it would not taste good.

He says it is a joy to drink - like losing his virginity again .... ?????

O .... K ....

I tried some kit, kilo and bits I made about 15 years ago as a student. A porter and a stout, both stored in a cellar in vic. They tasted like a hop never went anywhere near them. Not bad but sweet and cloying. They weren't great to start with though, so no loss!

I watched Oz and James beer tour of Britain venture in to the royal cellar open beer from the time of Queen Victoria. Over 100 years old. Fortified, stale, virtually no carbonation but it looked like an amazing thing to do. Cork it, wire it and keep it for as long as you can! Good luck.

About 8 YO. ~10% ABV Porter/Scotch Ale.

Brewed September 1998, allowed to self-condition in a keg @ 4C, then CPBF'd in Feb. 1999, so not technically "bottle" conditioned, but self-carbed, nonetheless. Beers condition better in bulk.....

It took about 3 years to mellow-out, by which time it was starting to win prizes & went-on to win a few more (including an International 3rd).

I shared the last bottle of the 45L batch with my old man sometime in 2006. It was obviously past it's prime, but still superb (even if I do say-so myself.. :p ).

I have some Russian Imperial Stout

brewed June 2010

8.7% Alcohol

like a Liqueur Muscat now

need to try one this year

Had an old favourite last night 26th Feb 2019

in grolsh bottles , still had a good head

Try again next year

Had an old favourite last night 26th Feb 2019

in grolsh bottles , still had a good head

Try again next year
I have 8 KB left of an RIS I made (AG) in 1995. About 8 years ago I had to open re-prime & reseal all the bottles (then about 16) as the crown seals had cork liners. Opened 1 on my last birthday (25th March) and it was still like drinking liquid velvet with licorice & chocolate still powerful. No, you can't have any. The 8 bottles will see me to my 83rd birthday. The cases got lost in a move, but have been kept in either my wine cellar (15C) or now in my cool room (3C).
Tony

Latest posts

Back