What Is Your Method Of Siphoning?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
For those of you who don't use a fermenter with a tap, what is your method of siphoning?

Do you just use a clear poly tube, dipped in just below surface level and suck at the other end & stick your thumb over the end till you point it in to the bottom of your keg or priming vessel?
Or are there more sophisticated methods that people use?

Just wondering as I am considering what other vessels that I can use for fermenters (such as glass carboys etc...)

I hate siphoning, its the bane of my brewday, most of my siphoning is done out of the kettle, but I have a better bottle that requires it as well. I use a SS racking cane, silicon hose, a turkey baster and suck. The turkey baster didn't have enough suction to pull the wort through by itself.

For those of you who don't use a fermenter with a tap, what is your method of siphoning?

Ummmm, i use a siphon....

(sorry Rob, couldn't resist that one...)

Seriously though, i have an auto (motive) siphon in my brewery that i use as an emergency for transfering liquids if something goes wrong with my pump, or any other scenario. It's one of those long clear plastic tubing things with a black bulb squeezy thing in it. Of the very rare occasions i've had to use it, it's done a good job. It's not ideal, but as a last resort, it helped me make beer.

Cheap too, big green shed have them.

Also, one thing i wouldn't do, is suck using your mouth and then dump into collecting vessel. That's a surefire way to introduce baddies into the process. The human mouth can be a pretty disgusting place sometimes....

I installed a tap the other day, it was a really fun project and thank f**k I don't have to siphon any more, well worth it!

I have a tap but dont use it for racking to kegs. I only use it for taking gravity samples.

I find it pulls some air through if I use the tap when it gets to bottom. I can actually hear the air being sucked in ! So I would lose more beer since I would have to stop short.

If I siphon I dont loose as much. I put a smaller short length of vinyl tube inside the end of the racking tube and suck on that ! Then as the beer is half way down the racking tube, pinch the end, pull out the inner tube and you have a quick and easy siphon with no sucking on the actual racking tube.

I also like this way since you can gradually lower the fermenter-end of the tube so its way above the trub for more the time, thus minimising disturbance and transfer of trub.

Siphoning? What is this the dark ages?

...or America?

I also like this way since you can gradually lower the fermenter-end of the tube so its way above the trub for more the time, thus minimising disturbance and transfer of trub.
+1 Yeah it can take a wide birth around the trub especially in a demijohn with its curved base. I made the mistake once of having the siphon too high and bringing air through the line, I couldn't get the last couple of litres out and I mixed so much trub into the brew that it looked unappealing so it got ditched.

Also, one thing i wouldn't do, is suck using your mouth and then dump into collecting vessel. That's a surefire way to introduce baddies into the process. The human mouth can be a pretty disgusting place sometimes....
I used to siphon from my fermenter, using the suck technique on a regular basis - must have done 15 or 20 batches that way - never got an infection. But ... I did always brush my teeth and gargle listerine. Anyway, it can be relatively safe. Nonethless, I did get worried about risk of infection, and bought an autosiphon from one of our sponsors. Works easy enough, and I sleep better at night.

From previous post " I mixed so much trub into the brew that it looked unappealing so it got ditched" If you can not get last bit out and it mixes with trub put it in a clean soft drink bottle in the fridge and soon will seperate out.

Latest posts

Back