What Is Your "favorite" Mega Swill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to drink megaswill which one would you choose?

• XXXX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VB

• Carlton Cold

• Toheys Extra Dry

• Toheys Super Dry

• Pure Blonde

• Mids

• Toheys Old

• Carlton Draught

• Toheys New

• Total voters
JSGA on the plane is alright, especially since they give it to you for free and there's always plenty left over to have another one or two.

Dr Tim's wasn't too bad the couple of times I've had it.

Well the results of that poll are pretty clear....interesting.

Coconut porter sounds interesting. A bit girly, but interesting. Beers that the ladies like are never a bad thing.

Too true. I've been trying to get my wife to try all sorts of different beer. She seems content with my Pure Blonde knockoff, which is cool too.

I was at a Surfclub last weekend, and CPA/Tooheys Old were the only reasonable choices. Glad I went with the Old... it's really quite decent, especially after the first jug :icon_cheers:

I wonder how long they'll keep making it? I've never seen anyone order it.

I've tried buying jugs/rounds of Tooheys Old, and as soon as the boys see the colour of it, they screw their noses up, and none of it gets touched. Oh well.. more for me! lol
Mitch :)

The name doesn't help either... Tooheys "Old". People immediately think: old, black, yuck!

As a container for beer cans have many advantages (as Trevc pointed out).
My preference will always be a can.
Glass though is far better to drink from, thats why they use glass glasses in a pub to serve the beer that just came out of a 50 litre...can.
Buy in a can drink in a glass.

K

I was at a Surfclub last weekend, and CPA/Tooheys Old were the only reasonable choices. Glad I went with the Old... it's really quite decent, especially after the first jug :icon_cheers:

I wonder how long they'll keep making it? I've never seen anyone order it.

They do in Sydney.....

I tried some Old again the other day by choice, got a tallie.... I would drink it as a last resort over these others, but I am not going to extol it's virtues, I remember it being better than that.

wheres the vote option of "rather kill myself"? They are all flavourless horrible crap.

OT
Out of those listed I'd be drinking Ye Old Beer. I once went a mates brother (an inexperinced drinker) to the bar to get a jub of Old (we called it Ye Old Beer) and he came back with draught. We asked WTF and he said the bartender told him they didnt have any Year Old Beer. The dumb arse mistook Ye Old for Year old. anyways.....

At the medieval festival a couple of months ago I got to the beer tent around mid Afternoon on closing day and all they had left on tap was Carlton Mid and Toohey's Old. No contest - hadn't had an Old since about 2001 at Evans Head and had quite forgotten what it tasted like. I'd recently got back into brewing so approached it with a newly 'educated' palate. Quite pleasant and rather sweeter than I remembered - also at the beer tent it was served a few degrees warmer than a pub and allowed the malty and (crystal malt?) flavours to shine.

A bit off topic but is beezneez becoming mega swill? I had 2 bottles today and they left that distinct, crappy, lowcarb taste/ feeling in my mouth. Is it just me or are they making it low carb? It put me off drinking it again.

It is crap. I had one for the first time a week or so ago and was diapointed with it.

Steve

+1 - I recently went for a Beez at the pub just to have a definite opinion, was gross.

A bit off topic but is beezneez becoming mega swill? I had 2 bottles today and they left that distinct, crappy, lowcarb taste/ feeling in my mouth. Is it just me or are they making it low carb? It put me off drinking it again.
I must admit, I had the same experience with JS Golden Ale on tap the other day. I was so happy to find it on tap at a place where all I expected was W.E. Draught and VB, but it didn't have the same character I remember from previous occasions I've had it. It seemed to have lost a lot of it's maltiness and hoppiness, and picked up that 'megaswill' sort of feel.

Edit: Thought I should add that it was still better than all the other tap offerings.

Back