What Is The Bubblegum?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week or so ago, in my laziness, I just tipped the yeast from 3 tallies of coopers , 2 pale and 1 sparkling, into a fermenter filled with an aussie ale cube. After 3 days there was no activity happening, I didnt take a hydro sample but the wasn't any condensation on the glad wrap or much pressure when touching the wrap, so I went and grabbed another two tallies and tipped the yeast into the fermenter. Within 24 hours I had krausen. But now it has the banana/bubblegum flavour.
I now know that I have stressed and under pitched but my question is, will the banana/bubblegum flavour go away once kegged? Also now that I have a good yeast cake would these flavours transfer to the next cube if I tipped it straight into the fermenter?

Cheers

probably not as much - but you'll almost always get a bit of these flavours from coopers yeast, its part of the classic flavour profile of that yeast. Both coopers pale and coopers red have plenty of it.

More yeast, cooler fermentation temperature = less esters of all descriptions.

Bit off topic but I'm pretty sure I read either in "wheat" or "brewing better beer" or both, that bubblegum is out of style and considered a fault in wheat beers unless it's supposed to be there. I haven't tasted bubblegum and wheat together before but it sounds like it goes together to me but I guess it would depend on what type of animal your brewing.

Back