What Is The Best Kit And Kilo Receipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonga11

Reaction score
Hi, all
Im new to the site and from what i see there is a wealth of knowledge here to tap.
I have brewed a number of kit brews that i have enjoyed, but nothing that has blown me away. I would love to know what the more experienced home brewer has found as there favourite and some tips to make it
Cheers bonga11 :beerbang:

CANT GO PAST A COOPERS BAVARIAN LAGER AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.I USE IT WITH B/E 1.

It all depends on the style that you like. Simple K and k brews can be pretty good if you get all the basics like cleansiness and sanation right. Don't be too worried about fancy yeasts either. I find the yeasts (especially Coopers) in the kit are more than adequate for a typical everyday home brewed beer. I think it's best to boil up the 2L of hot water (usually recommended by kit instructions for dissolving sugars and kit contents) with the kilo of fermentable materials for hygiene reasons. I then mix the kit contenets through after the heat is turned off (flame out) then add to the fermenter and top up with cold water. This usually gives me a pitching temperature in winter of about 23C. If I'm using any honey I mix this in after flame out too (before adding the kit contents) in order not to destroy too much of its aroma.

I think Cooper's Bitter with Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (BE2) made up to 23L is an excellent, simple brew. Nice deep oaky flavour with a strong but not unpleasant bitterness, You can throw in 200mls of golden syrup, treacle or molasses for a bit of extra something too.

Wander Munich Lager made up to 23L with a kilo of Light Malt Extract (or even BE2) is also one that goes down a treat.

I reckon Cooper's Canadian Blonde with a tin of Cooper's Wheat Malt extract (or 750g - 1 kg of dried wheat malt extract) makes a fantastic American style wheat beer with incredible head retention properties. You could also chuck in 100-250mls of honey for a quick honey wheat.

There's a few simple ideas based on some I've brewed before. None of them will cost you an arm and a leg and all taste heaps better than mass produced brews. You could also think about doing some specialty grain steeps for additional colour and flavouring modifications to your brews.

It all depends on the style that you like. Simple K and k brews can be pretty good if you get all the basics like cleansiness and sanation right. Don't be too worried about fancy yeasts either. I find the yeasts (especially Coopers) in the kit are more than adequate for a typical everyday home brewed beer. I think it's best to boil up the 2L of hot water (usually recommended by kit instructions for dissolving sugars and kit contents) with the kilo of fermentable materials for hygiene reasons. I then mix the kit contenets through after the heat is turned off (flame out) then add to the fermenter and top up with cold water. This usually gives me a pitching temperature in winter of about 23C. If I'm using any honey I mix this in after flame out too (before adding the kit contents) in order not to destroy too much of its aroma.

I think Cooper's Bitter with Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (BE2) made up to 23L is an excellent, simple brew. Nice deep oaky flavour with a strong but not unpleasant bitterness, You can throw in 200mls of golden syrup, treacle or molasses for a bit of extra something too.

Wander Munich Lager made up to 23L with a kilo of Light Malt Extract (or even BE2) is also one that goes down a treat.

I reckon Cooper's Canadian Blonde with a tin of Cooper's Wheat Malt extract (or 750g - 1 kg of dried wheat malt extract) makes a fantastic American style wheat beer with incredible head retention properties. You could also chuck in 100-250mls of honey for a quick honey wheat.

There's a few simple ideas based on some I've brewed before. None of them will cost you an arm and a leg and all taste heaps better than mass produced brews. You could also think about doing some specialty grain steeps for additional colour and flavouring modifications to your brews.
Hey Wildschwein , Just a Querie re boiling water to fermenter

i have done a few K&K's now and am looking at further experementation with boiling and hops etc , but the question i have , is it ok to add the boiling liquid (or near) to the fermenter as i have heard adding liquid at higher temps to the fermenter may "reduce fermenter life " ie make it brittle ? i'd like to try your above method with dissolving fermentables in boiling water and adding the kit but havn't as yet due to hearing this will reduce fermenter life . Cheers for the recipe's as i'm just contemplating my next brew . I like simple and easy with good results :beerbang:

Cheers
Dan

CANT GO PAST A COOPERS BAVARIAN LAGER AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.I USE IT WITH B/E 1.

That's good advice. And a well-kept secret (not that many people try this kit for some reason..) Except I'd use BE2...

Hey NewtoBrew...

I'll elaborate a bit more on what I said. Usually kits say in the instructions to add your kilo of fermentables (sugar or malt or brew enhancers etc), the kit contents and 2L of boiling water to your fermenter. They then usually say swirl or mix the ingredients together and top up with cold water. This works okay for some, but I suspect that most sugars (particularly dried ones) are a potential source of infection if they are not fully sterilised by boiling first. I always boil my primimg sugar in a equal quantity of water too before adding to my brew for bottling. (For example, 3/4 cup of dex in 3/4 cup of water to prime a 23L batch).

So, what I do is usually pour 1.5 - 2L of boiling water into a big pot (=a brew kettle), add my 1kg of fermentables and boil it for about 5 minutes. I then turn off the heat and mix through the kit contents (I clean out the tin with about 250mls of boiling water). Adding the kit drops the temperature of the kettle's contents probably by around 30 degrees C. So were not dealing here with boiling liquid anymore. If you are worried about it though what you can do is add some of your cold water total to the brew kettle to cool it down a little before pouring it into your fermenter. You'll probably need to add some cold anyway to clean every last vestige of beer concentrate out of the kettle.

With regards to hops additions, all you do is bring the 2L of hot water to a rolling boil with your kilo of fermentables and then add your hops additions. I usually just do flavour and aroma additions with kit and kilo recipes so the most I boil for is 40 minutes (with the lid on to reduce evaporation). Most of the time I only boil aroma additions for 5 minutes and then I alllow it to cool for a few minutes. I then strain into the fermenter through a sanatised sieve. In this case, I would usually have just poured the kit contents into the fermenter already. I then mix it all up and top up with cold water.

Another thing I do is use specialty grains like chocolate and crystal malts. In this case I steep the cracked grains (usually around 200g of crystal or 50 - 100g of chocolate) in 2L of 66 - 70C water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This temperature releases the grain's voodo without realeasing the astringent flavoured tannins in the husks which can ruin your beer. I then strain the specialty malt steep liquid through a sieve and rinse the grains a little with hot water to get out the last bits of flavour. I then use the resulting liquid just like I describe above with a regular 2L boil with my kilo of fermentables. The rest of the steps are the same.

Some people recommend boiling the kit contents too and I used to do this, but I don't think it's really necassary sanatation wise and it may boil off some of hop aromas from the kit.

I hope this helps.

Hey NewtoBrew...

I'll elaborate a bit more on what I said. Usually kits say in the instructions to add your kilo of fermentables (sugar or malt or brew enhancers etc), the kit contents and 2L of boiling water to your fermenter. They then usually say swirl or mix the ingredients together and top up with cold water. This works okay for some, but I suspect that most sugars (particularly dried ones) are a potential source of infection if they are not fully sterilised by boiling first. I always boil my primimg sugar in a equal quantity of water too before adding to my brew for bottling. (For example, 3/4 dex in 3/4 water to prime a 23L batch).

So, what I do is usually pour 1.5 - 2L of boiling water into a big pot (=a brew kettle), add my 1kg of fermentables and boil it for about 5 minutes. I then turn off the heat and mix through the kit contents (I clean out the tin with about 250mls of boiling water). Adding the kit drops the temperature of the kettle's contents probably by around 30 degrees C. So were not dealing here with boiling liquid anymore. If you are worried about though what you can do is add some of your cold water total to the brew kettle to cool it down a little before pouring it into your fermenter. You''l probably need to add some cold anyway to clean every last vestige of beer concentrate out of the kettle.

With regards to hops additions, all you do is bring the 2L hot to a rolling boil with your kilo of fermentables and then add your hops additions. I usually just do flavour and aroma additions with kit and kilo recipes so the most I boil for is 40 minutes (with the lid on to reduce evaporation). Most of the time I only boil aroma additions for 5 minutes and then I alllow it to cool for a few minutes. I then strain into the fermenter through a sanatised sieve. In this case, I would usually have just poured the kit contents into the fermenter already. I then mix it all up and top up with cold water.

Another thing I do is use specialty grains like chocolate and crystal malts. In this case I steep the cracked grains (usually around 200g of crystal or 50 - 100g of chocolate) in 2L of 66 - 70C water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This temperature releases the grain's voodo without realeasing the astringent flavoured tannins in the husks which can ruin your beer. I then strain the specialty malt steep liquid through a sieve and rinse the grains a little with hot water to get out the last bits of flavour. I then use the resulting liquid just like I describe above with a regular 2L boil with my kilo of fermentables. The rest of the steps are the same.

Some people recommend boiling the kit contents too and I used to do this, but I don't think it's really necassary sanatation wise and it may boil off some of hop aromas from the kit.

I hope this helps.

Great , Thanks Wildschwein

If you can get your hands on an ESB 3kg "paint tin" ...Nut Brown Ale is my fav... they really are a step above your average K&K's. No extras required and generously hopped, they are beers that raise your mates eyebrows. I always keep a few on standby. ;)

Check out my "Boingk's Best Lager" in the Recipes section...requires a bit of a boil but geez - it was definitely worth it!

Otherwise I'd say get a good Lager kit, add 1.5kg of light dried malt extract, whack some Hallertau finishing hops in a glass of boiling water for 15 minutes or so prior to throwing in the fermenter, and use Saflager yeast. Will come out a nice, full-bodied & flavoursome beer :D

If you can get your hands on an ESB 3kg "paint tin" ...Nut Brown Ale is my fav... they really are a step above your average K&K's. No extras required and generously hopped, they are beers that raise your mates eyebrows. I always keep a few on standby. ;)

Hey Jimmysuperlative ,
Is this kit something readily available at LHBS , do you just make as per normal K&K , i havn't seen this kit , do you just mix up the normal say 23L batch :( .

Cheers

Dan

Hey Jimmysuperlative ,
Is this kit something readily available at LHBS , do you just make as per normal K&K , i havn't seen this kit , do you just mix up the normal say 23L batch :( .

Cheers

Dan

They look like this:
esbkit.gif

... and if you can't find them locally, you can get em online here ESB 3 kilo kits

...no affililiation etc

Hi, all
Im new to the site and from what i see there is a wealth of knowledge here to tap.
I have brewed a number of kit brews that i have enjoyed, but nothing that has blown me away. I would love to know what the more experienced home brewer has found as there favourite and some tips to make it
Cheers bonga11 :beerbang:
hi try this link
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=15321&hl
also this one
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=14384&hl=
good luck
simpletotoro

Latest posts

Back