What makes someone quit brewing ??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun07

Reaction score
As a newcomer to home brewing and only just staring my journey into all things home brewing has to offer and loving it. I wonder what is the most common reason people give it up?

Obviously the usual don’t have time will come up. But I’m just keen to see what other people think ??

Anyway have a great week and enjoy those beers 🍻

Tim

Time and health are probably the most common. Some may simply lose interest but that is likely more related to the time thing. They have other hobbies that they would rather spend their time doing.

Drinking too much as you brew it, you drink it. You work out your saving money till you keep upgrading equipment. You start a brewery and you have no time.

Time... but there is always FWK's.

I recently got a Grainfather G40 so I can brew double batches... a little more set & forget as opposed to my single batch bas heated operation.

Time, work, children, a forced move to another city for work are the reasons I’ve taken a hiatus from brewing. I do miss it, but not as much as I thought I would.

I will get back into it, but there are other priorities for me at present.

When I do it will be with a single vessel electric system (Braumeister probably).

JD

Probably the effort to reward. It does take a good amount of effort & if you're not doing it because you love it & the results as good as you're hoping then it's not going to be worth it.
I personally mostly do it for the cost saving. I've been brewing for 15 years. I have always brewed extracts & for the little effort they take & being more than happy with the results, I'll definitely keep it up.

Probably the effort to reward. It does take a good amount of effort & if you're not doing it because you love it & the results as good as you're hoping then it's not going to be worth it.
I personally mostly do it for the cost saving. I've been brewing for 15 years.
If I couldn’t have made better beer than I could by from the shop I wouldn’t have bothered. I found the process and effort rewarding (mostly) but given the amount I spent on gear and ingredients, probably spent much more than if I’d have just bought it from the local.

A bunch of reasons really, but the proliferation of decent craft beer available is huge for me. Was a different story 'back in the day' when 3 Ravens or something was the only thing breaking up the wall of VB and Tooheys in the walk in. Needs must.
Now? Put it this way. We were down at Cradle Mt about a month ago. The middle of nowhere discovery park kiosk had more crafties( well over a dozen) then the bottle shop at Sheffield.
So there's that.

I still love brewing and sharing the fruits of my labour on occasion, but my weekly consumption is around the 3 to 8 schooner range.
So that fruity IPA kinda winds up tasting like a slightly to bitter ale by the time the keg blows.

A bunch of reasons really, but the proliferation of decent craft beer available is huge for me. Was a different story 'back in the day' when 3 Ravens or something was the only thing breaking up the wall of VB and Tooheys in the walk in. Needs must.
Now? Put it this way. We were down at Cradle Mt about a month ago. The middle of nowhere discovery park kiosk had more crafties( well over a dozen) then the bottle shop at Sheffield.
So there's that.

I still love brewing and sharing the fruits of my labour on occasion, but my weekly consumption is around the 3 to 8 schooner range.
So that fruity IPA kinda winds up tasting like a slightly to bitter ale by the time the keg blows.
Slightly off-topic, but it amazes me that in this day and age there are still plenty of places where the choice of beers is half a dozen almost identical megaswill lagers.

Interesting answers. With the FWK are they easy to use I don’t really know much about them ??

Given the amount of money that I have spent getting set up and then upgrading over the last 3 years and now finding the amount of Craft Brews available in Dan's, online etc I probably wouldn't now be bothered starting brewing. Having said that, I enjoy what I produce and am still on that holy grail of brewing that perfect beer and being able to reproduce it, given the many variables in the brewing process.

Downsizing is a big one. When you just don't have the space and can't do it anymore.

Interesting answers. With the FWK are they easy to use I don’t really know much about them ??
I think the most mess I've ever made brewing was trying to pour a bladder type FWK into my fermenter haha. Made a huge mess of my kitchen. But yeah they are easy to use otherwise. I pretty much just use them when I don't have enough time to brew and have empty taps.

I think the most mess I've ever made brewing was trying to pour a bladder type FWK into my fermenter haha. Made a huge mess of my kitchen. But yeah they are easy to use otherwise. I pretty much just use them when I don't have enough time to brew and have empty taps.
Sweet I will have to give one a go to see what they are all about 👌

Back