What Fermenter Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foz

Reaction score
Hey all

Just a quick question as to what fermenters people use? I myself have the Cooper's kit fermenter and the last few batches haven't bubbled once from the airlock.

Wondering if others have this problem (not that it has affected the beers) and if not what kind of fermenter they/you use.

Thanks all!

The coopers fermenter is short and fat, the others are all taller and not as round.
Sealing's the same, airlock's the same (general statement).
If your brews not bubbling, you got an air leak. Use a bit of lube (veg oil or food grade grease) on the seal and make sure you can see good seal contact right around the rim.

I have both the coppers style and the taller skinner bunnings style

I dont use an airlock with either of them, just gladwrap and the rubber o ring to hold it on,

Have probably done around 30 or so brews in them (maybe more), and never had an infection

Air locks are overrated in my opinion

EDIT

sorry forgot to mention the reason why.

The reason I use gladwrap is you can see through it, you can see exactly what stage your brew is at, half the time i dont even bother with an FG reading, i just grab it out of the dregs (less the slurry of course)

If you have never tried it, give it ago you probably wont go back to it.

Also if you do get an infection, you can spot it straight away.

Dave

Yeah i'm not too worried about it not bubbling - though it was nice (for my first few brews) when the airlock bubbled, just so i knew fermentation had begun.

But yeah just curious to find out what brand fermenters people use.

By the way berazafi what do you actually do with the glad wrap and rubber o ring (i can't picture what you mean)?

Foz said:
Yeah i'm not too worried about it not bubbling - though it was nice (for my first few brews) when the airlock bubbled, just so i knew fermentation had begun.

But yeah just curious to find out what brand fermenters people use.

By the way berazafi what do you actually do with the glad wrap and rubber o ring (i can't picture what you mean)?
[post="119346"][/post]​

1st picture is of a finished ferment, as you can see its clear with no bubbles, (the flash has picked up some of the condensatioin unfortunatly

2nd is of a brew that is nearly finished and settling, you can see the mild fermentation bubbles

if i took one after one or two days you can see the foam 1inch or so thick, dont have any pics atm though. As i said forget airlocks or at least try this

DSCN3378.JPG

DSCN3379.JPG

And he would probably put a pin prick in the glad wrap to let out the CO2.

AHH thanks macr was wondering how the CO2 would escape!

Looks like the goods though - will definately give that method a go on my next brew!

Is the rubber o ring similar to the ones found on the inside of the fermenters lid?

it is the o ring found inside the lid, the pin prick isnt nessasary, it will find an escape path out throught the gladwrap and o oring

thanks for the clarification berazafi :)

Looks the goods!

Foz,

I too bought the Coopers Kit first up and experienced the same thing...no bubbles. <_<

I thought I had done something wrong, so when I asked my local HB guy.. he said.. "no worries just give it another half turn!"

I did this and voila, gloop..gloop :)

Must admit you have to really turn it tight to make it work.

I have also found by taking the o-ring out first and not seating it all the way in, rather let the fermenter do it itself as you screw it together, you don't have to screw it as hard. (No double entendres please!) :blink:

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa.

i have an old brewcraft fermenter that my old man gave to me after about 15 years of sitting around. I replaced all the o rings, got another airlock and tap and still works a treat. I also bought another 25 litre drum from big w ($20) in the camping section with the tap also supplied, drilled a hole in the lid and also does the trick.

Two of mine use airlocks, the other two don't.

When using the Glad Wrap (or alfoil) method, I use several layers with staggered/non aligned pinholes in them (helps keep the nasties out, but the Co2 can still find it's way thru) :beer:

F1.JPG

F2.JPG

F3.JPG

PZ :chug:

Nice work FingerlickinB,

love the stainless jobby :beer:

How do you vent the Co2 on that sucker?

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa

smashed jaffa said:
How do you vent the Co2 on that sucker?

I'll try to explain, but it's needlessly complicated (the pic should help tho).

On top of the "fermenter" sits a regular fermenter o-ring of a larger diameter than the hole.

On top of the o-ring sits a glass saucepan lid with the handle and outer metal ring removed.

Over the hole in the saucepan lid where the handle used to screw in sit 2-3 layers of zip lock bag (I use this over Glad Wrap when I can, as it is harder to accidentally tear) with holes pricked in them.

Over the plastic sits an aerosol can lid with a hole in its side.

The whole lot is then held down from above by a "Tiger Strap" in the ridiculous fashion seen in the picture.

Sounds a bit over-the-top, I know, but I've yet to have an infection with this method...and that's even after using it on the back porch and finding cockroaches all over it every night :super: :eek:

PZ.

I have used many. My coopers fermenter acts as both a HLT and a primary fermenter. The litre marks on the side help as a HLT. With a thick o ring in the lid and a tight o ring on the air lock it will be air tight. A bit of food grade lube will seal it further. Heard of people using blue tac too. I also use pails and I find their seals to be much better.

In primary fermentation, air tight fermenters aren't all that important. A few brewers ferment with a lid on and no air lock in primary. It produces that much CO2 that it will protect itself. I can't speak for it though.

I might try a rubber band and the glad wrap in primary next time? Even though the coopers fermenter has a clear lid, condensation prevents a clear view.

Smashed Jaffa - Thanks for the advice - i'll try removing the o ring and 'resting' it in the lid before pushing it down. Oh and for the current brew i'll keep on turning the lid!

Will I be able to get it off! LOL :D

And Jazzafish yeah the glad wrap would go a treat to see the brew!

Ok here is a picture of a brew i started 2 hours ago, as you can see, the yeast is starting to muliply.

I will try and post a pic everynight to document what the brew looks like through various stages, one finished i may put it all into one post

dave

DSCN3383.JPG

Sounds great berazafi - it'll be good to see the progression

BTW what kind of brew have you done?

This is a coopers canadian blond, with 1kg of dried light malt, and plug of cascade added at 5mins and again at 2mins

All grain brewing hopfully starts next week, just need to source a few more things, cant wait

FingerlickingB, That looks like an old Olinda fermenter in your top photo!
I've still got one of those left over from when I did my first brew in 1975. I've had to take it out of commission due to a small crack around the tap socket.
J

Latest posts

Back